Author Topic: White screen when trying to save clip  (Read 8129 times)

John Delonghi

• View Profile
White screen when trying to save clip
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »
I had this happen to me twice today, for the first time I think. Temperature was 5 Celsius, in case that has a bearing.

I recorded a clip then in the play screen I pressed the jog dial in order to scroll through it to select in and out points but as soon as I press the jog dial, the screen turns white and the camera is locked up and needs a power cycle to recover. Obviously by then I've lost my recording.

Edited to add: I've just tried to play the clip I managed to save after those issues occurred and it's corrupt and won't play in VLC. I can't even copy it off the SD card as Windows is saying it's corrupt and won't allow me to copy. This is the same SD card I've used with the Chronos since I got it. 

So, out of three attempts to get a clip today, they all failed one way or another so I do need to understand why this is happening before I carry on using the camera.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 10:19:37 AM by John DeLonghi »

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: White screen when trying to save clip
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »
Hi John, try pressing the jog wheel when the camera is in recording mode. Does the white screen still happen? We had a couple of cases where the nut under the knob wasn't tightened properly and tbe camera would crash when the wheel was pressed.

David

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 06:44:57 AM »
Ah yes, that's exactly what's causing it. I've tightened it up and all seems well now.

Presumably, nothing will be damaged inside?

Also, for the corrupt file I had yesterday can you recommend any particular repair software I could try to recover it with?

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 09:31:20 AM »
Great that tightening the nut fixed it! Nothing is damaged by the lose nut, it just causes a reset when pressed in.

You can try recovering the files with the utility recover_mp4. This utility is a little complex but works very well.

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »
Thanks, I had tried a GUI version of that utility but it failed.

I've just tried again with command line version and it's worked! Not too difficult to use once you've figured out how it works the first time.