Chronos > Software Dev

Software V0.3 Beta - Updated May 3 2018

<< < (2/18) > >>

Loial:

--- Quote from: NoDak on December 15, 2017, 10:38:28 AM ---I'll have to give this a shot.

A couple questions/comments:

1. Thank you for being able to retain settings between reboots.
2. Stupid question, how fast does it currently save at? Faster save FPS will really help those 17,000 fps shots. I'm always paranoid and put big handles on my saves.
3. Easier trigger delay will be handy. Always hard to judge how long to wait before hitting the trigger. Now I can just hit it when stuff happens and know that I'll have a handle on the end.
4. What ram configurations have been used on cameras shipped thus far? Just wondering if I have  2 8gb or 1 16.
5. RAW saving I presume is uncompressed video? Is there. Information about the differences between the option you listed? Sounds like a great option for retaining maximum detail when you know you will be running the video through an editor.
6. Standalone mode will be interesting to try.

7. I know we are all waiting for this, but how are things going with HDMI support?

Thanks again for all your hard work.

--- End quote ---

2. Saving will scale with how quickly it can get data to the SD card or other media. At 1280x1024 it's limited to about 60fps but can go as high as 190fps while saving lower resolution or quality.
4. All 16GB models were shipped with a single 16GB stick
5. RAW is simply a packed raw format. Each image is saved one after another without any wrapping or containers - I.E. it's not a TIFF or anything. This is still a work in progress and the goal will be to save DNG/TIFF image series or some other better supported format.
7. HDMI is one of those more difficult problems. In my testing I've been able to get HDMI working from the command line but only while the application was not running. It's something we're working on but it won't be ready until at least the next update.

--- More info about RAW
There are three raw formats: 16bpp, 16bpp right-justified and 12bpp packed.

Because the data coming off the sensor is 12bpp the smallest raw files will be saved in the last mode but that's also the least supported format for reading/writing.

16bpp and 16bpp right-justified both add 4 bits of 0 to either the most significant or least significant bits.
For 16bpp (left-justified) that means that all values will be from 0-65536 (or just under that) and for the right-justified version it'll be 0-4096. The first of these two formats will be better supported by software.

Right now I've prototyped a python script that can convert the raw format into a series of b/w TIFFs but it's in very early stages of development. From colour sensors you'll get the full bayer pattern in the raw data and right now most software that can normally handle bayer-encoded images is not detecting it due to being a TIFF. Once I have it able to make a DNG image series instead with the proper coding for editing software I'll release it so it can be used.

All of the raw saving is still quite preliminary as the goal will be to get the camera saving directly as a more standardized way such as DNG photo series or CinimaDNG.

ExperimentalPerception:
Does this mean we can upgrade our 16g camera to a 32g one, just by dropping in a second 16g card?

if yes, do you have any links to where I can purchase said 16g card that will be fully compatible?

gahang:
Which interface should be USB stick plug in ? The eSATA interface or the OTG interface ?

Loial:

--- Quote from: gahang on December 18, 2017, 10:58:30 PM ---Which interface should be USB stick plug in ? The eSATA interface or the OTG interface ?

--- End quote ---

The eSATA interface. Make sure the stick is FAT32 (under windows 10 you may have to use 3rd party software to format as this because they've removed the option on drives larger than, IIRC, 64GB)

Loial:

--- Quote from: GhostRider on December 15, 2017, 11:30:35 PM ---Does this mean we can upgrade our 16g camera to a 32g one, just by dropping in a second 16g card?

if yes, do you have any links to where I can purchase said 16g card that will be fully compatible?

--- End quote ---

Technically yes. The only sticks we really support are the ones supplying but any dual-rank 8 or 16GB DDR3 dimms should work in the camera.
A quick search finds these: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADER6682991 (not endorsing, just did a quick search)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version