Author Topic: Software V0.3 Beta - Updated May 3 2018  (Read 66708 times)

nik282000

• View Profile
Re: Software V0.3 Beta - Updated Jan 4 2018
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
Installed the .5 update with no issues, last time it didn't seem to like my USB stick, this time everything worked on the first try. I have another 16gb of ram ready to install, hopefully I will be able to try it out later this week.

Thanks, David!

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 06:53:24 PM »
My Chronos has locked up while testing to see if the issues with .3 have been solved.

I was had my camera plugged in on my desk and I was having it simply auto save the whole buffer at the default 1,000 FPS. Once I saw it had finished I would hit record and save the whole buffer after enough time had passed for it to fill.

I left the camera running overnight, recording a few more buffers worth of video as I got ready for work. I leave the camera running during the day on my desk, then come home and start recording more.

After one such save, the camera gives me a grey screen. I try to record, but it fails. I go into the settings and I cannot change the resolutions. I go out to the main screen and the camera gives the "Shutting down" message, but locks up on this screen until I hard power it down.

The card is 64gb and saved video until it was 29.8gb filled of 59.4gb (Don't know if this is relevant.)

Camera works fine after the hard reset.

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2018, 07:03:34 PM »
Splitting this up into another post since this is unrelated to the last issue.

When "Auto Save" is selected, pressing "Stop" on the touch screen causes the camera to begin auto saving. The problem is that there is no way, that I can see, to disarm the camera when auto save is enabled. You will have to let the camera start saving and then abort the save, which is both inconvenient and puts lots of files on the memory card you never wanted to put there in the first place.

Don't know what the best solution would be, but figured I should mention it.

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2018, 10:09:32 PM »
I was playing with the segmented memory mode and I'm not sure if I am using it wrong, my trigger switch is bad or I have a legitimate bug.

-I set to Segmented mode with 3 segments
-Start recording
-Press the external trigger after the events I want to catch
-Stop recording after triggering 3 times

The recording I get is mix of short and long out of order clips, some times from all 3 segments in rapid succession, sometimes from different places inside one segment. The total length seems to be correct and everything that I wanted to record seems to be there but I am not 100% sure. I might try recording a stop watch to see if it gets everything.

My trigger is not the greatest mechanical switch, but the results are the same with de-bounce both enabled and disabled. If this is a 'layer 8' problem please let me know, otherwise 0.2.5 has been working well for me. I installed another 16gb of ram and the camera sees and uses the new memory.

Loial

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2018, 01:42:14 PM »
Splitting this up into another post since this is unrelated to the last issue.

When "Auto Save" is selected, pressing "Stop" on the touch screen causes the camera to begin auto saving. The problem is that there is no way, that I can see, to disarm the camera when auto save is enabled. You will have to let the camera start saving and then abort the save, which is both inconvenient and puts lots of files on the memory card you never wanted to put there in the first place.

Don't know what the best solution would be, but figured I should mention it.

There's a rather undocumented method - If you go into any setting menu (io, recording, etc.) it'll give you a warning that it'll stop record and then it should go to the menu without saving.

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2018, 06:05:24 PM »
Did some more fiddling with the the segmented memory mode and still had no luck. For the sake of having a small video file I set the record frame-rate to 30fps, set the "Record Lenght" to 300 frames and set 2 segments of 150 frames each. I filmed at timer and pressed the external trigger at 10s and 20s then stopped the recording at 30s. I added frame numbers to the result and made the following gif.

The recording ended up only being 157 frame long and contained mostly the video that occurred after the second external shutter press. Some of the jumpiness can also be seen. Any idea?

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2018, 08:47:28 PM »
Did some more fiddling with the the segmented memory mode and still had no luck. For the sake of having a small video file I set the record frame-rate to 30fps, set the "Record Lenght" to 300 frames and set 2 segments of 150 frames each. I filmed at timer and pressed the external trigger at 10s and 20s then stopped the recording at 30s. I added frame numbers to the result and made the following gif.

The recording ended up only being 157 frame long and contained mostly the video that occurred after the second external shutter press. Some of the jumpiness can also be seen. Any idea?

Apologies, segmented memory is implemented in a slightly counter intuitive way. Segmented memory is basically a ring buffer of segments, each segment being a ring buffer of frames. The camera continuously records into the current segment, overwriting any old frames. So, if you set it to two segments and cause two triggers, you've filled all the memory, but because the segments are a ring buffer themselves, the earliest segment is overwritten, awaiting a new trigger, which in this case never comes because you stopped recording. Therefore, your earliest segment in RAM (frames 1-150) is the second trigger (the one you did at 20s), and frames 151-300 (or possibly fewer frames) are whatever happened just before you stopped recording.

There was going to be a "disable ring buffer" mode in this release, which would terminate record automatically after your second trigger, avoiding the above problem. There's a bug present in the FPGA right now that prevents the required record termination at end of memory from working, that's on the todo to fix but we're just starting up production on the next batch so it will be a week or two until I can get around to it.

As a workaround, always select one more segment than needed.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 08:49:25 PM by tesla500 »

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2018, 11:35:21 PM »
>_< Thank you, that make my results make more sense. Good luck with round two of production!

John Delonghi

• View Profile
Re: Software V0.3 Beta
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2018, 09:16:15 AM »
Quote from: Dan D
I found a temporary workaround to be to format your drive for Linux ie. ext3.  You just have to install some 3rd party software on mac/windows to read the files off. Another way around might be to partition to the drive into lots of 8gb fat32 segments, which would probably give faster saving, although you'll still get hit with the 4gb file size limit and it'll be a pain to use.  Devs can correct this if I am mistaken.

Hey Dan, I've tried this but couldn't get it to work. I used EaseUS Partition Manager to format a USB stick Ext3, but when I put it in the Chronos it isn't recognised.

Can you reveal what utility you used to format ext3 and also what you use to read the files? I'm using PCs here.

Dan D

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 02:30:29 AM »
Hey Dan, I've tried this but couldn't get it to work. I used EaseUS Partition Manager to format a USB stick Ext3, but when I put it in the Chronos it isn't recognised.

Can you reveal what utility you used to format ext3 and also what you use to read the files? I'm using PCs here.

I stuck the stick in my Mac, and used the e2fs tools (installed with Homebrew) to format it - i.e. the mkfs.ext3 command, which works the same in Linux as it does on the Mac. I read the contents off the stick either from my Linux PC, or using the Paragon ExtFS for Mac (paid) software. I've never tried to format or read a linux drive in Windows. You could try using a Linux virtual machine to do it?

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 06:30:08 AM »
Thanks for the info. Don't have a Mac here so might try the virtual machine approach first.

Jeffism

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2018, 11:31:41 PM »
My biggest request is saving metadata, such as:
  • exposure time
  • frame rate
  • record time (since I often save it much later and the filename is the save time)

Doesn't have to be anything complicated like embedding it in the mp4 metadata. I'd like it if it created a .txt file (with the same filename as the video) with that info in it. Add a simple on/off option to the menu.

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2018, 11:14:41 AM »
hey So when trying to use the auto record and auto save after trigger i get a warning that the "estimated file size is larger than room on the media/4gb attempt to save?" and that requires a screen tap to go away so it defeats the purpose and makes it so the camera cant be used remote or in a water housing,  maybe allow the record button to confirm the dilog boxes when they pop up? but also make it so this screen does not pop up
thanks
patrick

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2018, 05:05:58 PM »
What save format are you using? Dumping the whole buffer with the default compressed format gives me files that are only about 710 mb.

You may want to post more information about the settings you are using.

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
i was at 15 bits per pixel and 60mbs, i was recomended by david 2bits per pixel and 60mbs just a minute ago so im going to try that again