Author Topic: Output formats  (Read 14765 times)

Camoit

• View Profile
Output formats
« on: June 07, 2017, 06:38:33 PM »
OK,, so I'm still weighting for my camera to arrive at the moment.
I have been using Adobe CC for my editing. What are the formats the camera drops onto the thumb drive and how is it working with them so far? How it it scrubbing through the file and things like that?
I can't weight to see what I can get it to do.

Critters

• View Profile
Re: Output formats
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 06:51:48 PM »
I use adobe CC (AE) and have had no problem importing and scrubbing through the files the camera outputs on USB or SD Card. I even can edit them directly from the card as they are not that large using the default settings

Critters

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »
They made raw files available to all backers over $35, so you could download and play with them in advance of getting the camera. I'm not going to post them here because they were for backers only and this would make them public. But you can find them by going to Kickstarter, clicking on messages, finding the message from Kron and looking in there for the file links. If you didn't get them then message Dave
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:57:01 PM by Critters »

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:46:10 PM »
So it "will" spit out RAW. good.
That make color correction so much better.
I hope that David and his crew figure out the 3 point calibration before the 16 Gb + lens combo packages come out. That's where I'm at in the mix. But I would have taken one back when he was still mounting them on wood.
It's only been 6 years so another couple of months won't kill me. I'm sure my youtube subscribers will like the new camera.

I must have missed the memo on the files. No big deal.  How many BIT are they in?

Critters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »
Not RAW raw... raw as in unedited. I don't think there's raw support yet

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 01:47:35 PM »
You can find some original files straight off the camera at the following link, the ones beginning with "vid_".

http://omeganaught.com/chronos_demos/

True RAW saving isn't supported yet, but that's coming soon. The main barrier is slow CPU access to the uncompressed video, the fast video pipeline is H264 encoder only at the moment.

rnone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 03:43:14 AM »
True RAW saving isn't supported yet, but that's coming soon. The main barrier is slow CPU access to the uncompressed video, the fast video pipeline is H264 encoder only at the moment.

BTW, the integrated H264 encoder does an impressive job in term of speed and ratio. Reprocessing file via ffmpeg on a fast quad-core machine is way slower and does not bring much improvement in term of space. Well done guys.

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »

True RAW saving isn't supported yet, but that's coming soon.

Very nice. My editing people will love you when that happens.

JamesB

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »
That said the files as of now are very good quality @ 39Mbits/sec give or take depending on the scene.  For 720p this is excellent and I have seen no MP4 artifacts anywhere even zoomed in besides noise in under exposed areas.  Color correction is easy and you can push it quite well in a 16bit composition in After Effects. 

That said it would be ideal if the camera saved Exif information on the clips themselves...  that saved the frame rate, shutter speed, gain and other values. Therefore it could help in recreating a specific look or shot in controlled situations. There is a lot of power in the camera and we are barely scratching the surface.  I agree the H.264 encoding is very fast, great implementation.