Author Topic: speed booster for the chronos to reduce crop on full frame lenses  (Read 21288 times)

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
i was dreaming about taking a bmpcc speed booster and taking off the Micro 4/3 mount and having a csmount machined , but alas the glass of the speed booster sticks out too far
anybody else have any crazy ideas with more luck to decrease fov?

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: speed booster for the chronos to reduce crop on full frame lenses
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:52:40 PM »
We actually just prototyped this, not with a BMPCC speed booster however, just a low cost Chinese one, but it works very well. Speed boosters that have an MFT mount seem to be the most common, but it's not possible to convert MFT to C mount. MFT to CS mount is just possible, but no one makes that adapter. We're going to custom make our own once we have some time to design it.

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:26:40 AM »
Nathan at Aimed Research has made a few adapters to achieve this and he very kindly supplied me with one a couple of months ago. I can confirm it works very well with a Metabones Speedbooster and I'm shooting everything through it from now on.

In a few days I should have some nice test footage done using a Metabones XL and Nikon lenses and i'll post some of it in the footage thread so you can see how it looks.     

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 02:33:38 PM »
We actually just prototyped this, not with a BMPCC speed booster however, just a low cost Chinese one, but it works very well. Speed boosters that have an MFT mount seem to be the most common, but it's not possible to convert MFT to C mount. MFT to CS mount is just possible, but no one makes that adapter. We're going to custom make our own once we have some time to design it.
great to see others were thinking the same thing! keep me up to date on the progress, or if you need help i do mechanical engineering work mainly solidworks

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »
Nathan at Aimed Research has made a few adapters to achieve this and he very kindly supplied me with one a couple of months ago. I can confirm it works very well with a Metabones Speedbooster and I'm shooting everything through it from now on.

In a few days I should have some nice test footage done using a Metabones XL and Nikon lenses and i'll post some of it in the footage thread so you can see how it looks.   

so awesome! yeah please do, is there a way you could alert me when you post it? also maybe a photo of the adapter? i emailed Nathan, and asked if i could purchase one off of him aswell,
thanks
patrick

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 03:09:42 PM »
great to see others were thinking the same thing! keep me up to date on the progress, or if you need help i do mechanical engineering work mainly solidworks
hey john are you sure its the speedboster XL that your using, i just bought that one and Nathan said that one doen't work.
wondering which one you have?
thanks
Patrick

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 01:21:28 AM »
Yes, the XL works perfectly. The Ultra also worked but the XL is better IMO.

In both cases you would need to play around with the spacers Nathan supplies to get the back focus correct.

Here are a couple of pics:

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »
Yes, the XL works perfectly. The Ultra also worked but the XL is better IMO.

In both cases you would need to play around with the spacers Nathan supplies to get the back focus correct.

Here are a couple of pics:

sick that is what i thought, just wanted to make sure because that adapter was $$$
is your adapter a little rotated off of center? if so is it possible to get it to sit straight so the lens isn't rotated, for when i use a large lens with a non rotating tripod collar?
thanks
pat

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 03:05:03 AM »
Yes, it's off-centre slightly but that's because these are essentially hand finished prototypes. If you get one you may be able to get the lens to line up better. Speak to Nathan and see what he says.

I'm more than happy with mine as it's enabled me to try speedboosters straight away. I'm sure more adapters will come along but this one is perfectly good for my needs right now.

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »
yeah i may get one on the angle and use that to measure the angle for nathan to correct and then get another one with that correction, unless you want to measure the angle on yours?
stoked

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 11:08:39 AM »
It's not at an angle because of how the mount is machined, it's because the material used is acrylic and there's no latching or locking mechanism built in, so you have to rely on the there being some interference between the adapter and the speedbooster to keep it on tight.

I'm just happy with it being tight enough when it gets close to the correct alignment. I don't want to risk twisting it more and breaking a part off, but if I had the time I could file off small amounts at a time and get it perfect.

You could probably modify the plate to add a pin or locking screws and get the alignment right while still making sure it stays on properly.

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 01:48:35 PM »
https://youtu.be/d9g25741hCM
Advantages of using the speedbooster on chronos camera,
reduction in focal length by 6.4x when using adapted lenses,
allows use of usb power to adapter to power image-stabilizer on canon lenses even when not connected to camera or on dumb mount
allows use of usb power to control electronic aperture on canon lenses via jog on the adapter

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:44:16 AM by patrickrebstock »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 01:32:25 AM »
While you are at it, are there any Chances that we will see an Nikon1 to CS-Mount adapter?
I mean, to mount Nikon1 Lenses on the Chronos.
That would let me mount all my Original Nikon1 Lenses and also some Lenses, that i converted to Nikon1-Mount by myself.
For example my 10-100mm f/1.6 Lens from Tamron, a ENG Lens for 2/3".
That Lens would be a dream on the Chronos.
A Nikon1 to CS-Mount Adapter would be also interresting for people like me, which got into Highspeed-Video with the Nikon1-System.
While most of my Lenses are native C-Mount and would be easy to use on the Chronos, i have to say that the Nikon1-Glass is a class of its own.
Since i have quite some Native N1-Lenses, that Adapter would be very nice to have.

Electra

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »
Any details on the prototype CS to MFT?  Something we can 3d print or laser cut to play with and test?
The biggest thing stopping me playing with any of the better lenses is that I'd have to buy them and they are not worth it for the quality improvement alone if it means a dramatic rise in F-stop.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
You could just make almost any Adapter with something like a Lenscap + C-Mount Extention Ring, some Grinding and Hot Glue.
At least if you have some Tools and are somewhat handy.
I dont have a Chronos yet, but if i had one, i would have found a Way to mount my Lenses on there, even if i just had to use Tape and Cardboard.
But proper Adapters really make Live easier, if you can get them anywhere.
Especialy if you have to rely on them.
I really hope that there will be Adapters some Time soon for MFT --> CS and N1 --> CS, also maybe Sony E --> CS.
Also hoping for some Company to start building Speedboosters for Nikon1-Mount and C or CS mounts and selling those.
Interchangeable Mounts for the Chronos would be also a great Idea.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 03:17:10 PM by Nikon1 »