Chronos > Software Dev

Updating the UI

(1/4) > >>

DDR:
Hello, all. David hired me a few days back to improve our UI. (This includes the lack of a mobile app.) I've been getting my bearings with the software, and I've mocked up few screens I'd like to get some feedback on. Nothing's final yet; I'm still learning my way around the project and figuring out how to change things. :)

Main Screen:

* I've made all the font sizes on the main menu the same. I think it looks a lot better, but it's also harder to read. I'm going to try to move some things around later to make the buttons a lot larger and more legible.
* I've added "..." to buttons that open up a menu. Is this something you yourself would reasonably expect "..." to mean?
* I reordered the buttons on the main screen. All the settings are together at the bottom now!
* Changed "Play" to "Review and Save". (It could as easily be "Play and Save". I didn't think you'd intuitively look under "Play" to save your work. 🤔
* Aligned all the things.

Play Screen:

* Mostly just changed around the arrows here. Up/down now move the slider up and down. Plus and minus adjust the speed of the up and down. Much more sensible than having up and down adjust the speed of left and right. :D
* Not that it's quite in yet, but "mark in" and "mark out" will become more like "mark a" and "mark b". Regardless of which is first, when you save, it'll just take the segment between the two. We'd like to get actual marks drawing on the slider as well.

Anyway, that's it for now! Thanks for reading!

patrickrebstock:
i still think that right and left arrows for going though playback footage is better than up and down more logical for a video timeline

i think that the jog dial needs to control more things, I want it to be able to tab between onscreen dialog pop-up boxes and then select an option, like the "start recording anyway and discard popup", it should be able to move the highlighted option by turning left and right and enter the selection by a press in.
But more important it should be able to, with a press-in and turn it should be able to change the shutter speed while the camera is recording or in standby. this would be epic

DDR:

--- Quote from: patrickrebstock on February 08, 2018, 02:17:29 PM ---i still think that right and left arrows for going though playback footage is better than up and down more logical for a video timeline

--- End quote ---
I agree. The timeline should be horizontal then, though. If we move the timeline to the bottom, we'd definitely change the seek arrows to left and right. I would like to move the timeline to the bottom, because it's more conventional and it would make for more accurate seeking. 800px of sensitivity vs 480px.

--- Quote from: patrickrebstock on February 08, 2018, 02:17:29 PM ---i think that the jog dial needs to control more things, I want it to be able to tab between onscreen dialog pop-up boxes and then select an option, like the "start recording anyway and discard popup", it should be able to move the highlighted option by turning left and right and enter the selection by a press in.
But more important it should be able to, with a press-in and turn it should be able to change the shutter speed while the camera is recording or in standby. this would be epic

--- End quote ---
Yeah! That would be great!  :D

(Code-wise, the jog wheel is currently read in in this file, which I don't understand very well. It appears to *always* used to adjust the current frame in the "play" view. So you can adjust the current playback frame, even when you're not in the playback view. ::) )

patrickrebstock:

--- Quote from: DDR on February 08, 2018, 04:04:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: patrickrebstock on February 08, 2018, 02:17:29 PM ---i still think that right and left arrows for going though playback footage is better than up and down more logical for a video timeline

--- End quote ---
I agree. The timeline should be horizontal then, though. If we move the timeline to the bottom, we'd definitely change the seek arrows to left and right. I would like to move the timeline to the bottom, because it's more conventional and it would make for more accurate seeking. 800px of sensitivity vs 480px.

--- Quote from: patrickrebstock on February 08, 2018, 02:17:29 PM ---i think that the jog dial needs to control more things, I want it to be able to tab between onscreen dialog pop-up boxes and then select an option, like the "start recording anyway and discard popup", it should be able to move the highlighted option by turning left and right and enter the selection by a press in.

--- End quote ---
Yeah! That would be great!  :D

(Code-wise, the jog wheel is currently read in in this file, which I don't understand very well. It appears to *always* used to adjust the current frame in the "play" view. So you can adjust the current playback frame, even when you're not in the playback view. ::) )

--- End quote ---
I dont think i agree about making the timeline horizontal its way better where it is for right handed one handed control, i just played around with it and keeping it where it is seems better, but still think right and left arrows even with a vertical timeline is still way more intuitive 

gyppor:
How hard would it be to allow the user to select which buttons we want and how they're arranged? For example, I will typically shoot in one location for several hours, so I don't need the WB button to be on the main screen. However, I'm always changing resolutions and frame rates, so I like the black cal button to be on the main screen as I use it all the time. But other users might have a different work flow. 

Trying to find a one-size-fits-all UI will be tough as everyone works differently; customization will alow you to keep everyone happy.

Having all the buttons on each screen by default, then allowing the user to remove the buttons they don't need frequently and make them accessible through a "menu" button would work well.

I think the seek bar should be customizeable as well - either at the bottom or on the right. Some users shoot with a 4:3 or square frame (scientific applications) and for them the seek bar on the right gives more real estate for the video frame. I mostly shoot in letterbox type frames so a seek bar on the bottom would work for me, but again, not for everyone.

As for the jog wheel, in the playback menu it has a function, maybe in the record menu it could be clicked to switch between exposure and frame rate, then rotated to change these? with perhaps press and turn for faster changes?

Alternatively, for users with gloves the jog wheel could be assigned strictly to cycling between buttons by turning, and pressing buttons by pressing. This would allow use without the touch screen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version