Author Topic: SD card vs SSD  (Read 5512 times)

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
    • Sugar Lake Rustic Furniture
SD card vs SSD
« on: May 03, 2020, 07:54:42 PM »
Will an SSD save faster than an SD card? That's the impression I got reading through this forum.
I've been using an SD card until I recently tried an SSD & was surprised to see the save rate about the same for both. My test was not very scientific, I just observed the fps display during a save to both types of media.  This was my test:
Chronos 1.4 - 1280x720, 1502 fps. 
Video 1: save to SanDisk Ultra 64GB micro SD
Video 2: save to Kingston 120GB SSD

In both cases the fps I observed during the save bounced around between 90-110 fps.  Neither had a clear speed advantage.
Maybe I don't have a very fast SSD or maybe I'm under the wrong impression.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Martin

• View Profile
Re: SD card vs SSD
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 05:28:50 PM »
Hi, I did some tests a while ago, but the results are confirmed (more or less) on a regular basis when this question is asked:

http://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=442.msg2307#msg2307

Basically the "WOW"-factor sets in when saving RAW/CinemaDNG. When saving in x264, you are much more limited by the compressor (of course, you could sabotage this with ultra slow storage), but since it's one file being written, speed SD vs SSD won't be much different.

If you are going to save DNGs (e.g. for superior quality), you will see a significant drop in write speeds using an SD card. They weren't designed to write, say, 4000 frames (with small filesizes) as fast as possible.

All the best!
Martin

PS: I have an eSataP case and some fast SSDs lying around.. I might redo those tests on current hardware/firmware, maybe even tomorrow  :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:36:31 PM by Martin »