Author Topic: Chronos 1.4 RAW conversion tool - pyraw2dng  (Read 46137 times)

lwaters

• View Profile
Re: Chronos 1.4 RAW conversion tool - pyraw2dng
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2018, 06:30:30 AM »
Hi,

So happy with the camera update and the raw files we have now! For what we are working on though, we need BMP files...does anyone have any suggestions on conversion or any other ideas on how we could get there? Even a code in python or something?

Thank you :)

Laura

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2018, 01:00:25 AM »
Hi Laura,

Try converting the raw file to DNG using the tool, DNG is just a specialized form of TIFF, image editors may be able to open the DNG as a monochrome 16-bit TIFF.

David

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 07:44:29 PM »
Just wanted to chime in about RAW workflow.

I am using a 128GB USB drive formatted to EXT3 to save files from the camera and avoid the 4GB limit of FAT32, this works perfectly. To get the raw files onto a windows PC I use the software "ext2explore," it's a little clunky but it will get the job done. The pyraw2dng also works perfectly, even with raw files that were broken by the FAT32 limit and my own clumsiness.

To convert the DNG files to 'normal' images I am using Rawtherapee, an image editor meant to be an alternative to Adobe Lightroom. Rawtherapee allows for batch processing of files, so I make my adjustments to one frame and apply them to the whole set, I've done about 8000frames in one go with no problem. Once I have a folder full of PNGs I assemble them into a video file using VirtualDub, this allows you to set the final frame-rate of the video and export it as a raw or compressed AVI file.

All the tools used are free (as in beer) software and the only real limiting factor for any step in the process is time and processing power.

lwaters

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2018, 05:15:22 AM »
Thank you both for your responses!
I've been using a trial version of Camera Raw & Photoshop to convert for now...once they are in tiff format we bring them into PFV viewer to analyze the video...but I am in the process of downloading VirtualDub and Rawtherapee now!
Thank you both so much.
Have a great week!
Laura

BlackthorneMedia

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 09:38:10 AM »
Anyone have a tool for formatting SD cards in ext3 on a mac.

I have followed every tutorial out there and cant get any of the mac options to work.

I have tried e2fsprogs (sudo $(brew --prefix e2fsprogs)/sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/diskN) and it just errors out. I am troubleshooting as I go but am hoping someone else has a workaround.

Anyone else have a tool or shortcut.

By the way pyraw2dng is working GREAT! The image quality is night and day!

Mario3005

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »
That should work with the preinstalled Program Disk Utility on a Mac.

Newbee

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 04:22:55 AM »
I could not use pyraw2dng on Mac with python3.
Did you use pyraw2dng on Mac?
How can I do?

Anyone have a tool for formatting SD cards in ext3 on a mac.

I have followed every tutorial out there and cant get any of the mac options to work.

I have tried e2fsprogs (sudo $(brew --prefix e2fsprogs)/sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/diskN) and it just errors out. I am troubleshooting as I go but am hoping someone else has a workaround.

Anyone else have a tool or shortcut.

By the way pyraw2dng is working GREAT! The image quality is night and day!

BlackthorneMedia

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2018, 02:22:37 PM »
I actually got both to work, but I had to do a complete reinstall of e2fsprogs via brew for Mac. Once I installed it that way it worked and I can now ext3 format my SD cards. All the info I found on the net for installing it via brew were old and dont work with the current version of brew.

I could not use pyraw2dng on Mac with python3.
Did you use pyraw2dng on Mac?
How can I do?

Make sure you are putting ./ in front of the commands after doing the things listed in this thread.

Long story short, even though you make the script executable, its not recognized as a program at the command prompt and you have to add ./ before the command to et MacOS know its a script

For example:

./pyraw2dng.py -w 1280 -l 720 inputfilename.raw

Newbee

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2018, 03:24:56 AM »
Thank you for your reply.

I tried as you said.
but it didn't work.

This is error code.
======================================================
AKIOnoiMac:Downloads mycomputer$ ./pyraw2dng.py -w 1280 -l 1024 vid.raw
-bash: ./pyraw2dng.py: Permission denied
AKIOnoiMac:Downloads mycomputer$ sudo ./pyraw2dng.py -w 1280 -l 1024 vid.raw
sudo: ./pyraw2dng.py: command not found
======================================================

Is there something wrong with my method?

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2018, 03:27:09 AM »
Do:
Code: [Select]
sudo chmod +x pyraw2dng.py
Then retry your command (without sudo, shouldn't be needed here).

BlackthorneMedia

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 04:22:07 AM »
Yes, forgot that you ahve to make it executable.

That and please make sure you are running the command from the directory where the script is.

E.G. cd (change directory) so you run the command from the folder where the script and files are.

twistedmesses

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2018, 06:30:53 PM »
I've gone down the RAW rabbit hole and the results are so good it makes it painful to use the standard compression now. Thanks to everyone that gave instructions on what worked for them, helped me tremendously.

Just curious if the current workflow is the same for everyone or if there have been optimized processes since a few months ago.

Currently have a 128gig USB formatted to EXT3 to save everything over 4gigs then using pyraw2dng to convert into DNG and then After Effects makes the video creation super easy. Firmware is updated to most recent version.

I guess I'm wondering if there is a faster way to get RAW vids out of the chronos 1.4. Is ethernet the only other option? Has anyone tried ethernet transfer?  Wondering if Ethernet cable somehow rigged into a portable hard-drive would be possible. With live subjects it's gonna be hard to wait 30mins between each shoot while the video saves.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 10:34:50 AM »
Can someone that really understands the RAW process, condense the knowledge into a single post with steps  so us non technical noobs can try it out? I would very much appreciate it

miloreid

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 08:29:10 AM »
Hi all,

I really want to try out the raw footage on the Chronos but I am struggling to edit the footage. I am a Mac user, can anyone explain how I can create the dng's on a Mac or will I have to use a PC to transcode them?

thanks

Milo

skronstein

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2018, 04:44:11 PM »
Hi all,

I really want to try out the raw footage on the Chronos but I am struggling to edit the footage. I am a Mac user, can anyone explain how I can create the dng's on a Mac or will I have to use a PC to transcode them?

thanks

Milo

The 0.3.1-beta-9 version of the camera software can save directly to dng format, no need to transcode. Are you using a monochrome or color camera? DNG's saved directly from a monochrome cameras currently have compatibility issues with some software.  We're working on a fix for this.
If you have to convert a raw file that has already been saved, you can just follow the directions for linux, as they should work on a Mac too. https://github.com/krontech/chronos-utils/blob/master/python_raw2dng/README.md