Author Topic: Updating the UI: Record Settings Edition  (Read 22172 times)

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
Re: Updating the UI: Record Settings Edition
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 06:42:26 AM »
The 'fat finger' effect will need to be tested, but if the buttons are chunkier then I'm happy to hold off judgement until it's tested.
Please never use scrolling on any of the major windows, it really disrupts both look and ease of use.

I like the latest version.  It presents everything in a nice easy to understand way. It also gives space on the right for more buttons as needed.

And I don't know if this is the right place for it, but would a 'save as preset' button be out of place here?  Edit/remove/reset presets can be elsewhere, but being able to set everything up then 'save' them might be handy.
yes save as preset! button

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 06:45:37 AM »
Hm, yeah, that actually works pretty nicely when I try it out properly.

I made a second version because I didn't want to loose the label. I suspect that, if I put my ego aside, it could indeed be lost. I like the first version a bit more, graphically. :)

these look good but add save as preset button!

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 11:27:32 AM »
Version B is my favorite (and with vertically aligned inputs it would even better) :)

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 09:10:52 PM »
But here's a wrench in the works: When changing any of parameters, there'll be a disconnect between what's "selected" as a preset, and what's shown below.

When one alters any of the values, should the presets dropdown "gray out" or otherwise indicate that "what's in this box is no longer accurate, please refer to the individual boxes below"?
That's a good idea. In the current iteration, the dropdown just stays the same. I should probably change it say "custom" or something when a value is changed.

these look good but add save as preset button!

OK. I'm pretty sure this won't make it into this iteration, as we're trying to keep light the new features, but it'll probably make it into an update pretty soon after. It's a good idea. :)

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »
yeah understood, file it in the "next time box"

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 10:23:05 AM »
Something which might help those of you worried about 'fat finger' syndrome...

(This also helps when outside in the cold and wearing gloves).

I had one of these I got originally to use on an old smartphone which had a terrible touch screen. I've now got a better phone, so this was lying around and I thought I'd try it with the Chronos. 

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Executive-Stylus-Touchscreen-Devices/dp/B008ULX012/ref=sr_1_5?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1519842118&sr=1-5&keywords=Touch+Screen+Stylus+Pen

It works a treat, so much so that I've tethered it to the side of my Chronos so it's always to hand.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 04:33:52 PM »
Initial implementation... very young right now. Some stuff doesn't work, and some stuff (like the drop-down arrows) is just missing... but it is usable! :D

I enlarged the buttons' hitboxes a lot, so you can tap them much easier. Generally, there is no dead space between controls now. The "Done" button hitbox extends all the way to the edge of the screen, for example.

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2018, 10:46:02 AM »
i like the image preview! nice

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 10:35:49 AM »
Nice! Can't wait to test it myself!
However the "Record Modes" Button seems kind of hidden down there to the left, it almost looks like the other captions on the left. Maybe shift it to the right to line up with the others?

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »
Today, I spent 6½ hours putting the little preview video in the little preview window properly. Well, more properly. It doesn't yet adjust for things like exposure properly, but I'm going to leave that until later.

I have to say, I think I agree. The button does look better to the right. 🤔
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:04:58 PM by DDR »

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2018, 10:41:23 AM »
looks good

Electra

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 12:23:40 AM »
Just keep the spot for the 'save preset' button (Maybe add it and grey it out so it's part of the final design?)
But otherwise, that looks very good.

I'm guessing it feels at least as good/easy as the original firmware to actually use?  (I like the idea of the button active areas being larger. Gives it a nicer look while still making the buttons 'feel' large.