Author Topic: Type of RAM  (Read 26059 times)

Magic

• View Profile
Type of RAM
« on: March 11, 2018, 03:26:30 PM »
What type of RAM is used inside the camera?

CR0M3

• View Profile
Re: Type of RAM
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 11:18:15 PM »
SODIMM DDR3 1600 8GB in my Case c:

Magic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:43:55 PM »
Thanks!

Ormia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »
Is the RAM user expandable? Does opening up the camera void the warranty?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 03:04:54 PM »
Should be User Upgradable from what i have heard in other threads here in the Forum (I dont have a Chronos yet).
Should also be quite easy.
But i realy dont konw about the Warranty.
Someone else here should know.

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »
This is what David has said before:

"while opening the camera doesn't void the warranty, damage due to improper user repairs isn't covered."

So, upgrading the RAM won't void anything but you need to be sure you are using the correct module(s) and you don't damage anything.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 05:55:24 AM »
Should be User Upgradable from what i have heard in other threads here in the Forum (I dont have a Chronos yet).
While it certainly wasn't hard, easy is not the correct word for changing the RAM  ;)
has someone already done a teardown on YouTube or somewhere? There you should be able to see how hard it is. If no one has done a video like this and if there's enough demand I'd be willing to do one myself.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 06:57:22 AM »
While it certainly wasn't hard, easy is not the correct word for changing the RAM  ;)
has someone already done a teardown on YouTube or somewhere? There you should be able to see how hard it is. If no one has done a video like this and if there's enough demand I'd be willing to do one myself.
I cant realy say how difficult it would be, cause i dont had one in my hands yet, but i would still consider ist as fairly easy from what i have seen.
At least for my standards. But i have done a lot more Crazy Stuff to Electronics and Cameras bevore.
So it could be actually possible, that it would not be as easy for someone new to Electroics or Cameras.
I am not realy sure, if there is a complete Teardown anywhere as a video, but i have seen some Pictures from the internals, not sure anymore from where.
Could be realy helpfull for some People to have a proper Teardown- / RAM-Upgrade-Video.

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 07:15:12 AM »
You take the 4 bolts out from the back, carefully disconnect the 3 ribbon cables so you can separate the display from the body.

Then take 4 screws out securing the main PCB from the body.

Carefully disconnect the 2 (i think) ribbon cables linking it to the main sensor PCB and then you'll have full access to the memory module connectors on the other side of the main PCB.

It's not difficult as long as you're careful with the ribbon cables and their connectors. If you are unsure how the ribbon cable connectors work, ask here first or do some googling.

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 12:03:49 PM »
The creator of the camera (David) has made a complete teardown. If I recall correctly it's on his main youtube channel (tesla500).

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 01:23:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_TFiA05tcc
There is the Video with the Teardown.
I knew i saw someting like this bevore somewhere, wasnt just sure anymore if it was Video or someting like a blog.
It was exactly that video.
While Searching for this Video i just realized, that i watched so much of those videos on davids Chanel (tesla500) long time ago.
I just realized, that this was Davids chanel all the time, WOW!
Just didnt know that at this time and havent watched that canel since then.
Realy liked all those High-Speed-Camera-Teardowns and analysis back then.
Thanks for the tip, great content on that chanel.

Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 05:09:57 AM »
I upgraded mine from 8gb to 32gb within a few days of delivery. Wow, it makes it so much easier to use having a bigger buffer. Don't forget to go to the appropriate firmware that supports your configuration. I found that the hard way when it didn't report any ram change.
As someone said above the trickiest part is the ribbon connectors. Again, I learned this the hard way and it took me 15 mins to find the offending tiny bit of plastic on the floor. This type of connector in my past has slid out parallel with the pcb, these ones you lift with a finger nail. Easy once you get one right it is easy.
The ram I used came from amazon.de as it was not available on the uk amazon. It was linked from another post on this forum where the user had proven it worked. Turns out that the ram I removed was made by the same manufacturer, that helped my confidence level enormously.
It's great now, slo mo of the dog chasing a ball for 10 seconds or so, brilliant.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01LFQH95Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the link to the ram I bought, happy upgrading

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 06:29:02 AM »
For anyone in the UK looking for a RAM upgrade, MrMemory has the correct modules. I've upgraded both of my cameras with them and no problems at all.

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/all-products/16gb-ddr3-pc3-12800-1600mhz-204-pin-sodimm

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 11:42:24 AM »
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01LFQH95Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the link to the ram I bought, happy upgrading
Same with me, works great. Having 32GB is definitively a large improvement.

unelune

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »
I have 2 questions in regards to the RAM upgrade:

1- Can someone please confirm that upgrading to 32Gig means buying 2 x 16Gig Ram ?

2- Also @Ian, what do you exactly mean by: "Don't forget to go to the appropriate firmware that supports your configuration." Could you please detail the steps in order to do this?

regards,