Author Topic: Updating the UI: Input Methods Edition  (Read 13376 times)

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
Updating the UI: Input Methods Edition
« on: March 23, 2018, 07:58:53 PM »
Hello, everybody! The software manual for beta 0.3 is mostly done now, so I'm had time to mock up a few possibilities for keyboards. First up:

The standard keyboard for the upcoming beta 0.3.

This keyboard pops up for anything needing letters input. Not bad in and of itself – the keys are quite tightly packed, there's not a lot of dead space. Yet… can we do better? 🤔
Each key is 50px² in this design.

First iteration:

Better, arguably looses a bit of readability, but the buttons are bigger. The backspace key has had to be bumped into this weird place by the spacebar, though, which I'm not thrilled about. Still, on the balance, since I don't have to use backspace as much any more, maybe it works out? 😬
Notable changes:
  • Removed the caps lock key. Was anyone using it? If so, where?
  • Replaced the shift carat (^) with a shift symbol (⇧). Plus, the keyboard should switch to capital letters when you shift, so you can see what you're typing!
  • The "Apply" button, which was "Enter", is going away because I don't think you'll ever enter text but not want to apply it. Also it was very confusing.
  • The up/down arrows went away. I figure we'll use the jog wheel for that, it's faster and nicer and has tactile feedback. Plus our numeric inputs all have up/down arrows anyway. … which … I might actually want to get rid of if we're using the jog wheel.
Anyway, each key is now 60px², 20% bigger. We can do better!

Second iteration: (Texas Mode 🤠)

The buttons are bigger yet again, and the keypad has moved up top. You can still see a sliver of the UI at the top, which is enough to be functional - if you want to input a lot of text, I think this is how you'd do it. I'm not sure if it gives enough context for little inputs, though, and it's not exactly stylish. Is it worth it for the larger keys, in your opinion?
Each key is now 70px², 40% bigger.

The numeric keypad in beta 0.3.

This keyboard pops up for number controls, starting in beta 0.3. It's got bigger keys, and nice large arrow buttons to manipulate the number and the carat with. This is a comfortable size for a button. ⅛th of a screen.
Each number key is 50×150px in this design. The arrow keys are 100px².

First iteration:

To make the buttons easier to hit, I've made them a lot taller in this version. I can't find the formula, but I seem to recall the time for selecting a button by mouse is relative to it's minimum dimension - I bet it's pretty similar for "ease of finger-tapping" too. 🙂
Each number key is 80px². This is actually less area than the beta 0.3 version, but I think it feels roomier anyway.

Second iteration:

The problem with the number pad is that we can't use it for inputting into fields which have (or might have) prefixes, such as the fps field in record settings. We might need to type a k or a u in there or something. I've added those prefixes to the side, so now we can use the numeric keyboard in more places. As a bonus, it's a heck of a lot easier to enter something right since all the keys input valid things now, versus the full keyboard.
Hitting one of the unit buttons will close the keyboard, in this case, since it's always the last thing you enter. Tapping outside the keyboard will select whatever you tap on, or, if it's not selectable, close the keyboard. Hopefully.

The jog wheel.

This is a bit of a weird one, I can't really show any pictures for this. However, I'd like to describe how I'd like the jog wheel to work in beta 0.4. (Not the next release, but the one after that.)
Basically, we all agree we would like the UI to support the jog wheel. However, a full plan for that has always been, to quote a famous seer,
Quote from: 🎱
reply hazy
try again

So, I figure that we want:
  • The jog wheel to edit our inputs, when applicable. Basically numeric inputs and sliders and such.
  • The jog wheel to be able to select inputs, because operating the Chronos with gloves on requires a prosthetic finger at the moment.

The jog wheel can do two things: spin and click.
I figure the logical thing to do is keep having an unpressed spin cycle the value a little, and a pressed spin cycle the value a lot. Like on the Play screen. However, if you just click the wheel without spinning it, it'll pop you out of the control you're editing so you can select a different control or button. Click the jog wheel again to edit the new control or click the button.

Editing a number input:
I figure that numbers are editable to about ±four significant figures by just rotating the wheel. That'll actually work for just about everything, since in most cases if we're in a position to be dialing in the number we're probably not that concerned with parts per ten thousand anyway.
Alphanumeric inputs, like the saved file name, are a little harder. I think it would make the most sense to have the on-screen keyboard be controlled by the scroll wheel in that case, allowing you to select a key, tap to press it, and then select the next key. The close key would start off focused, so if you tapped the scroll wheel it would close the keyboard and put you back to 'select' mode.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 08:15:50 PM by DDR »

NiNeff

• View Profile
Re: Updating the UI: Input Methods Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 01:18:39 AM »
I figure the logical thing to do is keep having an unpressed spin cycle the value a little, and a pressed spin cycle the value a lot. Like on the Play screen. However, if you just click the wheel without spinning it, it'll pop you out of the control you're editing so you can select a different control or button. Click the jog wheel again to edit the new control or click the button.
I think this is the most natural and intuitive way to do it, so looking forward to it. However please try to keep the different option windows (recording, saving, trigger settings...) somewhat consistent in their design and orientation. For example a general left to right or preferably up to down direction for the user inter-actable items. You should not be surprised which input field is going to be selected next by rolling the wheel and they should not jump around too much :)

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 05:13:32 AM »
Thanks for your work ;)

Personally I prefer this one for the text:

And this one for the number (that must be the most perfect layout you can do, very good job on that :D):

I think this is the most natural and intuitive way to do it, so looking forward to it. However please try to keep the different option windows (recording, saving, trigger settings...) somewhat consistent in their design and orientation. For example a general left to right or preferably up to down direction for the user inter-actable items. You should not be surprised which input field is going to be selected next by rolling the wheel and they should not jump around too much :)

I agree, basically wheel click working like the tab key on a PC and spin = increase/decrease the value, can't do better than that I think ;)

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:12:26 PM »
However please try to keep the different option windows (recording, saving, trigger settings...) somewhat consistent in their design and orientation. For example a general left to right or preferably up to down direction for the user inter-actable items. You should not be surprised which input field is going to be selected next by rolling the wheel and they should not jump around too much :)
I agree, basically wheel click working like the tab key on a PC and spin = increase/decrease the value, can't do better than that I think ;)
Absolutely agreed. Selection order will generally be left-to-right, top-to-bottom. Whatever makes the most sense. Very much like tab and shift-tab on a PC. :)

Thanks for your work ;)

Personally I prefer this one for the text:

I like this one too, it's way more elegant.

And this one for the number (that must be the most perfect layout you can do, very good job on that :D)
Thank you! ;D It's really nice to hear that. Right makes my day, it does.

gyppor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 09:03:05 PM »
I haven't been following these threads but just looking at the black/white layout with small font hurts my eyes... I hope you'll keep the buttons gray with bold writing. It looks much cleaner IMO.

I do like the big numeric keypad with the microsecond and millisecond keys for changing exposure and frame rate. This will help.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 02:37:54 PM »
Yeah; the design is really high-contrast at the moment. I think it'll be OK in the context of the camera interface, because the screen is really hard to see under bright light. Like a cellphone in direct sunlight. If the UI does turn out to cause eyestrain when on the camera I will reduce the contrast a bit. :)

As for the font, it does have a lot less weight in this version, you're right. I actually need to do some on-camera testing and figure out what a good font/weight combination is. The current one's not bad – it's the default font that ships with our gui toolkit for a reason – but I'd like to see if something better exists. (I'd also like to do some more work with colour while I'm at it, but we'll see what happens. :P )

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 03:03:27 PM »
Just some ideas:

Maybe a white on black UI would be less violent than the black on white.

Let the user choose the fore and background colors (colors can be just a gradient of a dozen of grays, no need to be really fancy).

Maybe the font 'clearview' would be a good idea, it has been especially designed to be the most readable possible.

NB: as for most other UIs I prefer something simple and functional even if it's not that pretty than something pretty but more or less unusable; but that's just my personal opinion.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 06:16:34 PM »
Oooh, good idea on Clearview! :D

I definitely agree that we should not sacrifice usability for beauty. However, when the two combine, and it all Just Works™, it's amazing.

Electra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 12:05:35 AM »
Some comments I will make:  I find pressing and scrolling the scrollknob while on a tripod especially is tricky. Plus you can't 'press and spin' for more than about 3/4 of a turn without having a rotatable wrist. :)
While I have no problems with this as an input method for changing numbers, it's the main reason I never use that to scroll through stuff on the playback window.

I'd also avoid 'press to select next field' as it's too easy to bump and change random things.  'Tap to edit' and the currently selected number is the one that changes and no number of presses changes that would make for less errors.

I like the keyboards, no complaints or comments beyond that the current one is nice enough to use so improvements can only be good.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 08:18:41 PM »
Yeah, I find I never really use the knob on the tripod either. (I spent some of last weekend doing test shots with a friend of mine who's a professional videographer.)

If something is truly infuriating we will add an option to turn it off. :)

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »
looks good, i think turning jog dial to tab between windows then a press to change value or activate function like WB, then you can jog to change value or if something like WB once completed it goes back to the twist to tab to another selection, This would still leave pressed in twist to change value faster like you said,
having a checkbox in setting page to turn it jog dial would solve all the people that don't want it.
I am so exited to get to use this, going to be awesome!

rnighting

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 09:38:55 PM »
Lots of input about scrollwheel UI here: https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=88.0

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
Oh man - I hadn't seen that thread! What a lot of good feedback and ideas. :D

Thank you for linking, rnighting!