Author Topic: Lens/Camera protection  (Read 7638 times)

ahaponek

• View Profile
Lens/Camera protection
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:17:06 AM »
Hi all,

I'm going to be capturing some footage of scientific testing, and the client is using a BBs as the projectiles. I know these have a tendency to ricochet, so I am in the market for a way to protect the camera from things like projectiles, and small particles. Anyone know of anything out there?

I am using canon glass with the camera, so anything that fits the lenses exactly would be great (mostly worried about the front element). I initially thought a UV filter, but I'm not sure that would do much in a 'rouge-BB' scenario. I am open to other options.

I believe Mythbusters used LEXAN polycarbonate, but I have no experience with it. How would the clarity and image quality be shooting through it?

Do I just shoot with a telephoto and get as far away as I can? Would love to stick with my higher speed primes if possible, and I find a shorter focal length to be a bit more visually interesting.

Any other ideas?

Cheers!
Andrew

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: Lens/Camera protection
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 12:49:25 AM »
Hi Andrew,

I've had good luck Lexan and Acrylic. The biggest problem I've found is that it gets charged up with static electricity and readily attracts dust. Other than that, it is perfectly clear as long as it has the protective coating intact. Also, watch out for reflections, best not to have any light coming from behind the camera that could reflect off the shield and into the lens.

David

hydraulicpresschannel

• View Profile
Re: Lens/Camera protection
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »
I shoot lot through polycarbonate and when it's new it doesn't effect the picture quality but it's quite soft material and scratches easily. So if you have to film lot through same shield it's good idea to make small window and replaceable smaller shield for that so you don't need to change hole big and expensive blast shield when it gets some scratches.

But if you have only bb's flying and maybe bouncing back I would fit just protective filter for the lens. The uv-filters are one option but there is more durable filters that are meant to be used as an shield's. And make sure that the camera doesn't fall from the hits and you should be ok :D My chronos has been hit quite many times with various shrapnel and it works just fine :D