Author Topic: Mounting Holes  (Read 15353 times)

Jeffism

• View Profile
Mounting Holes
« on: May 26, 2017, 05:26:55 AM »
Obligatory "FIRST!!". Somehow I managed to create the first ever thread on this forum.

Anyway, does anyone have the dimensions for the mounting holes and threads that were added to the front of the camera? I'll be using it in close proximity to firearms and I'm looking at building a protective case or shield around the front of the camera.  Cheaper to replace a sacrificial piece of acrylic or polycarbonate rather than replace a lens or camera should it be hit with shrapnel or muzzle blast.

Thanks,
Jeff

AimedResearch

• View Profile
Re: Mounting Holes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 06:11:30 AM »
I would be more concerned about the muzzle blast/pressure damaging electronics than shrapnel (if the camera will be placed fairly close to the firearm.

Jeffism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »
It's not going to be THAT close to the muzzle blast that it would affect the electronics. The default lens has a pretty decent zoom range. I'm just trying to protect against things like ejected brass cases, splash from loose dirt/rocks or possibly a ricochet, depending on how thick I'm going to make the shield.

Critters

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 02:48:36 PM »
Maybe they can share the CAD file for the case so people can use it to model accessories from?

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 05:27:23 PM »
Obligatory "FIRST!!". Somehow I managed to create the first ever thread on this forum.

Anyway, does anyone have the dimensions for the mounting holes and threads that were added to the front of the camera? I'll be using it in close proximity to firearms and I'm looking at building a protective case or shield around the front of the camera.  Cheaper to replace a sacrificial piece of acrylic or polycarbonate rather than replace a lens or camera should it be hit with shrapnel or muzzle blast.

Thanks,
Jeff

The front face has M4 holes on a 35x80mm rectangle, with the lens mount at the center. I made up some simple 3D printable shield holders, I've attached the 3D model to this post. Here's a picture of how they're used.

CAD model and drawings coming soon

Jeffism

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 09:51:13 AM »
Ah, that's pretty much what I was thinking of doing. Thanks.

Still a little while before my camera should arrive but at least I can get all the accessories ready and get going straight away.

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 12:58:46 PM »
Well this saves asking for the hole spacing and length. I'm going to have my buddy CNC some out of aluminum.
Thanks for the files.

wilheldp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 10:36:35 AM »
Is that the Computar zoom lens you are using with this blast shield bracket?  Also, is that 1/4" acrylic over the lens?  Have you noticed any affect on the image quality shooting through the acrylic/polycarbonate?

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 12:40:44 AM »
Is that the Computar zoom lens you are using with this blast shield bracket?  Also, is that 1/4" acrylic over the lens?  Have you noticed any affect on the image quality shooting through the acrylic/polycarbonate?

Yes, it's designed to fit the Computar 12.5-75mm lens. It's 3/8" acrylic for the window and I have some smaller thin pieces as replaceable windows so the main piece doesn't get scratched by flying debris. There are some minor reflections under some conditions, and dust can sometimes be a problem, but if you keep it clean it works well.