Author Topic: Using the charger with an inverter  (Read 14122 times)

gyppor

• View Profile
Using the charger with an inverter
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:46:25 PM »
I was out filming over the last 2 days and used a modified sine wave inverter to charge the camera in my car. Charging worked but the power block emits a buzzing sound when running. With the camera off (charging) it's slight, when the camera is on and charging it's louder.

I charge the camera at home from a pure sine inverter and there is no buzzing, and it seems to also charge faster.

Can anyone see any issues running the stock power adapter from a modified sine wave inverter? Could any damage be caused to either the adapter or camera?

Thanks!
G

Max

• Administrator
  • Oh hello there :D
    • View Profile
    • Meep Space
Re: Using the charger with an inverter
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:36:26 AM »
Hey Gyppor.

To be honest, nothing that is not a heater likes a stepped(modified) sine inverter. They are basically next to a square wave. The buzzing in the power supply unit the switch mode inside dealing with its weird input, other then it loosing some efficiency it should charge fine :)

- Max
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:52:45 PM by DerpykV »

Taofledermaus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:54:33 PM »
I almost always use a cheap 40 watt- cigarette lighter inverter and string out a 50 foot ext. cord from my truck when I am filming.   We film for about 3 hours at a time so it's easier to do that than worry about changing batteries and risk losing an important clip if the camera shuts down when I am saving a file. 

Qualey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:26:56 PM »
I almost always use Male Extra and string out a 50 foot ext. cord from my truck when I am filming.   We film for about 3 hours at a time so it's  to do that than worry about changing batteries and risk losing an important clip if the camera shuts down when I am saving a file.

Good idea, thanks tao, I'll give that a try.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 07:01:11 AM by Qualey »

abragred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 01:57:40 PM »
actually found something on here that helped thanks a lot
i m looking in the long run to buy an inverter tho

abellay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 12:16:02 AM »
Just be careful when buying one cause they are expensive and you don't want to be let afloat when you need it most. I remember that I was searching for a good one for a month or something like this and I didn't understand much about these things and it was really hard to find one but fortunately for me one of my friends who as I remember now was interested in this thing from young ages recommended me to check a site Palmgear blog where there are listed the best options and he said that I can choose from them the one that suits me best, I am very lucky that I have such friend and now I want to help others.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 01:03:57 PM by abellay »

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
    • Sugar Lake Rustic Furniture
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 06:26:28 PM »
I use a car booster with USB charging ports. You can plug in the Kronos & operate for days between charges.