Author Topic: Trigger can just stop recording  (Read 10728 times)

Chronos_User

• View Profile
Trigger can just stop recording
« on: July 05, 2018, 04:03:48 AM »
Hi guys,

I may be a bit stupid, but all I can get the trigger switch working for is stop the recording.
Starting the record is not possible.

Can someone help me?  :)

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: Trigger can just stop recording
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 07:12:27 PM »
Could you describe what you'd like to do with the trigger? There are usually ways to configure the camera to do what you want, even though the trigger can't start a recording directly.

Chronos_User

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 11:06:41 PM »
I'm going to use the camera in a sealed box, close to a milling machine to get informations how I can improve the quality of our products.
For the best results, the cam has to stand right in the danger zone, where robots operate.
The best way for me would be to start and stop recording with the trigger, which seems like it is not possible right now. Are you working on a firmware update to give us that option?

Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 05:17:02 AM »
Hi,

I'm facing the same problem - I need to start and stop the recording from remote. Is there any option to do that?

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 05:30:11 AM »
The trigger on top of the camera does start and stop, if I remember right.

I also think it would be very useful. If I use a remote trigger, usually I'm not at the camera. So it would be very helpful to also arm the camera remotely to take several shot without going back and forth.

Chronos_User

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 10:34:38 PM »
Exactly.
That is what I'm confused about. For me, a trigger is to start and stop the record.

So an update for the firmware would be nice.

Willem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 01:52:58 AM »
I think, in my case I can solve the problem by triggering to stop recording, auto save and then auto-restart the recording... so I have to manually start the camera at the beginning.

skronstein

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 04:12:53 PM »
It's fine to have the camera start a new recording automatically after a save.  Just check both the "Auto Record" and "Auto Save" checkboxes in the Util menu.  This means the camera will be recording all the time, except for when it is saving, but that does not stress the camera any more than starting the recording just before the event occurs.  It does not even increase the camera's power usage.
Before using the auto save option, make sure that you have enough free space to save the videos.  They could be large depending on your save settings.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:28:45 PM »
Still I think it would be more consistent to be able to start recording via trigger, too.

I usually don't save the whole buffer, so I'll walk to the camera in between shots anyway. But it's just not intuitive to stop recording by remote trigger, walk to the camera to safe the file, start recording on the camera, walk away, do whatever I want, and stop recording remotely. If I want to redo the shot, but already triggered the camera, I need to walk up to it and start recording, even if I have a large button right in front of me.

I'll be much more intuitive if both triggers worked the same.

JamesB

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 07:34:12 PM »
Most if not all Slow Motion cameras work this way. The Auto Record checkbox is the ideal solution as after saving it will always start recording which mimics how Phantom and edgertronic cameras work.  It would be ideal to have a red dot on the interface blinking that showed it was recording as it is very hard to tell unless you look at the LEDs.  (O REC)   Something for the UI improvements.

Chronos_User

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 10:57:54 PM »
If you're right and most cameras work that way, that would be really sad.
From my point it makes much sense to be able to start AND stop recording with the trigger. Otherwise the camera would be "shaking" from pushing the button every time, which can make some videos worthless.

@tesla500, can you impliment that trigger option into the next update please?
Otherwise, I bought the camera without and it's now worthless for me :/

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 11:43:59 PM »
Otherwise the camera would be "shaking" from pushing the button every time, which can make some videos worthless.

I think if you need to start the camera in the instance you want the first frame to be recorded, your setup is wrong.

Still I'd prefer to be able start a recording remotely. The auto save and restart setting only works when you always save the whole buffer. I don't usually do that. So for me it's more a thing of getting used to, because I need to walk up to the camera after each shot anyway. It's just counter intuitive to start a new recording immediately after saving, and not just before the actual scene taking place. Even if it doesn't affect battery life.

Chronos_User

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 11:28:32 PM »
You're right Fyodor,
my thoughts where with my Canon DSLR, not the chronos :D

The problem that I've got is that the machines I'm filming with the chronos are running for a few minutes before I would be able to get to my camera. I just can't start recording and do an auto save, as the memory card would be full of worthless video before I even see the action I want to record..

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 04:45:19 AM »
It'll not save anything to the SD card until you press the trigger. It's not like a classic camera, the Chronos record in RAM in a ring buffer so it'll no take any space on the SD card unless you save the buffer to the SD.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 10:53:52 PM »
Yes, we know that. It also doesn't eat through the battery faster. So basically there's no need for the camera ever to be not armed... except between triggering and saving.