Author Topic: Updating the UI: Battery  (Read 13324 times)

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
Updating the UI: Battery
« on: July 18, 2018, 08:56:40 PM »
On the redesigned main screen, if you tap the battery icon, you'll get to a screen for battery and power. As with most of my mockups, this comes with a caveat: this is what we want. This is not necessarily what we'll get. ;)

jasonfish

• View Profile
Re: Updating the UI: Battery
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
What's Voltage vs Charge? What is each trying to tell me? Does the regular user need both?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
What's Voltage vs Charge? What is each trying to tell me? Does the regular user need both?
I guess Charge means how much energy is left in battery, this would be the value displayed on any common device.
Voltage would then propably be an absolute Value of the Voltage of the Battery.
At least that is what i think those values are about.
If an regular User of the camera would know what this is all about is an other Question...

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 01:30:08 PM »
Looks great so far. Can we also please get an audible alarm on low battery? I know there's a speaker in the chronos.  ;)

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 03:21:15 PM »
What's Voltage vs Charge? What is each trying to tell me?
Nikon1 is correct.
Does the regular user need both?
No. The electrical engineers around the office wanted it though. ;)
It might be useful to determine battery issues when things go wrong.

Looks great so far. Can we also please get an audible alarm on low battery? I know there's a speaker in the chronos.  ;)
That seems reasonable. I should probably add a visual warning to the main screen, too, now that you mention it.
I'd love to add in more "little sounds" to the UI, like a little click when pressing a button.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 03:25:01 PM by DDR »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 01:18:18 AM »
I'd love to add in more "little sounds" to the UI, like a little click when pressing a button.
If you do that, then please also add an Option to turn off all those sounds as well, since some People (Like me) maybe dont like to have them.
I get the point, why someone maybe wants to have those Sounds on his UI, but for me one of the first things to do with a new Camera is to turn all those UI-Sound-Effects off...
That would be one of the most anoying things i could think of, if it makes all the Sounds, and you canīt even turn it off, if you would like to do that.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 05:11:53 PM »
If you do that, then please also add an Option to turn off all those sounds as well, since some People (Like me) maybe dont like to have them.
Absolutely! That's always one of the first things I do when I get a new device too. :)

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 01:35:43 AM »
I just noticed that in the current UI there's no way to see your battery level while you are saving videos. If you're using raw saving might take a while and It's very risky to unplug the camera then if you don't know how much charge is left.
TL;DR: make the battery icon visible on all screens or at least on those where you might be stuck for a while :D

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 03:27:36 PM »
I just noticed that in the current UI there's no way to see your battery level while you are saving videos.

Yessss, that would be a really good one to fix. I've added a battery level readout to the play & save screen mockup, so the issue will be fixed when I get the UI redesign in. (In general, I think I need to take another whack at the play & save screen design. I don't think it's very intuitive at the moment. 😒)

More generally, I'm hoping the battery will be more accessible through the (eventually) upcoming remote control app. The back-of-camera interface is somewhat constrained by size and mode of interaction, but with the app I'm hoping we'll be able to be a little bolder.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 08:49:50 PM »
Figured I'd post this for general interest - I've got the battery & power screen working, ui-wise. It's running against mock data, but when this data is live it should work exactly the same way. (I still need to do the checkboxes, but that'll come later. Even the checkboxes in the design are mocks… I'm definitely going to make them more elegant. ;) )

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 08:24:00 AM »
I like it, but just a tiny nit-pick:

You'll need two labels for the Y-Axis as you are plotting two different things. 100% Voltage would not really make sense while 100% charged does.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 01:13:33 PM »
True... where 100% voltage would be is 'camera explodes at this point', too. 🤔

I'll add voltage labels to the chart, and colour them accordingly.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 07:03:27 PM »
There, fixed the labels. :D

And as Selkit pointed out, the % was displaying as a decimal instead of an integer. I also realized I forgot the "Save & Power Down" line, so I added that in too to give sort of a visual representation. Sheesh. :P