Author Topic: Saved file's owner/group/permissions.  (Read 8380 times)

nik282000

• View Profile
Saved file's owner/group/permissions.
« on: March 16, 2019, 04:15:18 PM »
I am using ext3 so I can save >4gb files but the permissions made by the camera are pretty wonky. Is there a way (even if it's a one off change I need to make to my own camera) so that I can change the user and group that the files are saved under? I'm reasonably familiar with Linux and don't mind making backups of my OS microSD in case I brick something.

If there is no easy way then no worries.

Thanks for your awesome work!

-Nick

foobar

• View Profile
Re: Saved file's owner/group/permissions.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 05:07:15 PM »
Hey Nick,

We also ran into this issue a short while ago and we already have a fix for it in our development builds, the underlying problem is that the directories for DNG and TIFF recordings were created without execute permission, which prevents anyone from being able to browse the directories even though they may have read permission on the contents. To repair a directory that was saved with this bug, you can simply use the chmod tool to add the execute bit to the directory (eg: chmod +x directoryname) at which point you should be able to browse its contents.

If you would like to apply a slightly more permanent fix to your camera, you can grab the latest and greatest development builds from our chronos-updates repository and follow the README to build a release package that can be applied to your camera. This particular issue affects the /opt/camera/cam-pipeline program, so you can also apply the update by overwriting that particular file on your SD card with one downloaded from our github.

Note that files will still be created with the UID and GID of the root user, meaning that you will need root permissions to modify them once moving the disk to another PC for viewing, but all users should be able to browse and open the files.

nik282000

• View Profile
Re: Saved file's owner/group/permissions.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 05:55:41 PM »
Awesome! Thank you! I had some serious head-on-keyboard time and never noticed that the x was missing.