Author Topic: Software Roadmap - 0.3.1, 0.4.x, etc.  (Read 44800 times)

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
Re: Software Roadmap - 0.3.1, 0.4.x, etc.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »
Work on the shell and nav section continues; work on the main screen continues.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »
great to see it coming along!

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 05:56:50 PM »
very exited to see the HDMI out coming, this really will change the camera for me, i can see!!!!
also the dng raw saving and improve debayer sounds great, now just need to find a working flash drive to update the patch

SamL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 11:27:54 AM »
I'm very interested in this UI project. Any instruction to compile and deploy the application?

Any news for software 0.3.1?

thx

Oh -- if anyone's curious about the gritty details, the UI is open-source. There's a commit log up at https://github.com/krontech/chronos-gui-2/commits/master, for example. :)

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
Hi Sam!

Instructions for compiling the UI on the camera are up at https://github.com/krontech/chronos-gui-2/blob/master/util/chronos%20debian%20setup%20instructions.txt. However, they assume you have a camera running Debian 7. Only our development cameras run Debian 7 at the moment, since we haven't done little things like got the camera image sensor working yet. (The 0.3.1 release is based on Arago Linux instead of Debian for this reason.) However, you can - and I am - running the new UI in a Debian 7 VM. I do have instructions for setting up the VM using VirtualBox, but they're really not very nice and I think you're much better off following the nicer camera instructions linked at the top.

------

As for the software, I have just finished the first real implementation of one of the screens. It's wired into the mock API for now, until we develop the real one. (I haven't implemented the real API yet, because there are several people here who could reasonably implement it, and I'm the only UI person we have, and I'm really hoping to fob it off on one of them. ;) The drivers are *almost* ready for it though! We're so close!)

As an update to the previous progress chart:

While it may be removed, a tentative motion trigger screen has been planned. This is not an official acknowledgement that such a thing will ever be made, of course - the UI plan I have will probably grow a number of things which will never be, but which I should at least leave some space for in case they do get added. The act of UI design is overly optimistic in that sense.

The Record Settings shell has been wired into the API. This is a fairly complex page, so it's been a good testing ground for the wiring process. It appears to be a verbose and somewhat error-prone process, without particularly good control over the flow of data. However, it works, and optimistically it appears each page will take about 2-3 days to put together at this point. Perhaps the whole thing will be wired into the real API by the end of October. :-\

I also made the About & Kickstarter page reflect actual camera data, rather than just my placeholders. So that's good, and it counts as done as well although it's not particularly newsworthy. :)

I've attached the full roadmap picture below as well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:44:21 PM by DDR »

Buddlich

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 10:21:01 AM »
Is there any news about the 3.1 update? See that it was scheduled for late August :')

SamL

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »
hi DDR
thanks for your reply.
Now we have a camera with Arogo linux running on it. Do you mean now it's NOT able to run the GUI app @ https://github.com/krontech/chronos-gui-2 on our camera?  But it's able to run at Debian 7 Vm on a computer?

Thx

Hi Sam!

Instructions for compiling the UI on the camera are up at https://github.com/krontech/chronos-gui-2/blob/master/util/chronos%20debian%20setup%20instructions.txt. However, they assume you have a camera running Debian 7. Only our development cameras run Debian 7 at the moment, since we haven't done little things like got the camera image sensor working yet. (The 0.3.1 release is based on Arago Linux instead of Debian for this reason.) However, you can - and I am - running the new UI in a Debian 7 VM. I do have instructions for setting up the VM using VirtualBox, but they're really not very nice and I think you're much better off following the nicer camera instructions linked at the top.

------

As for the software, I have just finished the first real implementation of one of the screens. It's wired into the mock API for now, until we develop the real one. (I haven't implemented the real API yet, because there are several people here who could reasonably implement it, and I'm the only UI person we have, and I'm really hoping to fob it off on one of them. ;) The drivers are *almost* ready for it though! We're so close!)

As an update to the previous progress chart:

While it may be removed, a tentative motion trigger screen has been planned. This is not an official acknowledgement that such a thing will ever be made, of course - the UI plan I have will probably grow a number of things which will never be, but which I should at least leave some space for in case they do get added. The act of UI design is overly optimistic in that sense.

The Record Settings shell has been wired into the API. This is a fairly complex page, so it's been a good testing ground for the wiring process. It appears to be a verbose and somewhat error-prone process, without particularly good control over the flow of data. However, it works, and optimistically it appears each page will take about 2-3 days to put together at this point. Perhaps the whole thing will be wired into the real API by the end of October. :-\

I also made the About & Kickstarter page reflect actual camera data, rather than just my placeholders. So that's good, and it counts as done as well although it's not particularly newsworthy. :)

I've attached the full roadmap picture below as well.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »
Hi, SamL. You are correct. The GUI app, chronos-gui-2, currently only runs on a computer. This will be fixed in version 0.4.x. (0.3.x is the latest currently released version.)

Currently, chronos-gui-2 does NOT have the ability to record video or play it back on our camera. It's a work in progress.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »
Oh, got Implementation (Front-End) → Power in today! Took me a day or two to figure out how to draw the graph, and I'm still not 100% happy with it. I'll fix it later, though. It's more important to get it working right - and in your hands - than it is to get the colours correct.

edmond

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 10:28:41 PM »
How is it the 0.3.1 version going? Gonna release it anytime soon?

Dan Kanes

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 11:17:22 AM »
Where does onboard Cinema DNG Raw recording fit into this schedule?

Might be interesting to look at the new BlackMagic Raw format as a next-tier / next gen codec option.

thanks!

RoboChair

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 05:18:17 PM »
For several of the applications I would like to use my new Cronos 1.4 it would be really beneficial to have the ability to use the "Run-n-Gun" and the "Normal + Continuous" recording modes mentioned in the User Manual. I didn't see any express mention of them in the Software Roadmap and was curious as to when we might see that feature added to a software update?

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 08:27:41 PM »
For several of the applications I would like to use my new Cronos 1.4 it would be really beneficial to have the ability to use the "Run-n-Gun" and the "Normal + Continuous" recording modes mentioned in the User Manual. I didn't see any express mention of them in the Software Roadmap and was curious as to when we might see that feature added to a software update?

Unfortunately we don't have a timeline for this right now. Those two modes require the use of dual video ports on the camera's CPU (one for live view, one for saving). We've come to find out that Texas Instruments built in no support for this in their software, even though the hardware has two fully functional video ports. Getting the second port running is a very large amount of effort, and is lower on the priority list compared to major, commonly requested features like Ethernet remote control, image quality improvements, and HDMI.

DDR

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • Krontech
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 04:22:07 PM »
How is it the 0.3.1 version going? Gonna release it anytime soon?
Very soon. It's been in pre-release testing for a few days and nothing catastrophic has happened yet. We'll be able to release it today, with luck!

Where does onboard Cinema DNG Raw recording fit into this schedule?

Might be interesting to look at the new BlackMagic Raw format as a next-tier / next gen codec option.

thanks!
CinemaDNG Raw recording should be in today or tomorrow, with the new release.

If I recall correctly, I think BlackMagic Raw is off the table for now. I think we can't record it without giving someone a rather large pile of cash.

SamL

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2018, 04:56:36 PM »

Great! look forward to it.