Author Topic: crash test filming with Chronos  (Read 6257 times)

flic

• View Profile
crash test filming with Chronos
« on: August 01, 2018, 05:58:23 AM »
Hi everybody,
I work in a test facility where we perform sled crash test for aircraft seat certifications. We are in the need to acquire 2 more high speed cameras (today we have 2 coming from Photron and 1 from Phantom) to trigger together. The need is also to have on-sled camera (that means 16g pulse deceleration). I was wondering if anybody is using the Chronos (b/w is better for us) for such use and if it can be used for onboard (16g peak could be affordable even if the camera has not been hiG designed for), and in such latter case which camera / lens setup has been used.
Grazie. Thanks
Fabio

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: crash test filming with Chronos
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:17:12 AM »
Hi everybody,
I work in a test facility where we perform sled crash test for aircraft seat certifications. We are in the need to acquire 2 more high speed cameras (today we have 2 coming from Photron and 1 from Phantom) to trigger together. The need is also to have on-sled camera (that means 16g pulse deceleration). I was wondering if anybody is using the Chronos (b/w is better for us) for such use and if it can be used for onboard (16g peak could be affordable even if the camera has not been hiG designed for), and in such latter case which camera / lens setup has been used.
Grazie. Thanks
Fabio
I think i remember, that someone of the Krontech staff stated, that they havenīt done proper Testing yet to be able to give such G-Force Ratings out but they are planing to do such tests at some point in the Future.
I also heard that the Chronos could take quite some abuse and maybe also quite some Acceleration force.
However, i would reccommend you not to use the Stock Zoom-Lens for such Szenarios, because it is realy long and Heavy and it will put a lot of force and Stress on your Lens Mount and on the Tripod mounting Point on the Camera itself. I would go with a small and light prime Lens, focal Length depends on your needs.
Depending on your Framerate you could maybe even get away with using a even Smaller lens for 1/2" or so (if you use smaller Area of the Sensor because of the Framerate).
If you realy need to use a medium to big size Lens, i would build some kind of support cage for the lens. Those Lens-Support cages are somewhat common for crashtest-Cameras (i think).
Please donīt Quote me on that one, but i also think the internal Components should not be that prone to be damaged. I guess the highest risk in such hiG-Tests is that your lens itself or the Lensmount will snap of the Camera or that the camerabody itself will break of from the Tripod mount.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 09:52:57 AM »
I took my Chonos apart once and you're absolutely right. While there aren't any official G-Ratings or tests, the thing which is the most "unstable" is the Lens and its mounting. Everythin inside is secured quite well.

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »
I'm confident the camera will handle 16g acceleration. If it breaks we'll cover that under warranty. Small lenses such as the Computar primes should be fine but larger lenses would need a support cage.