Author Topic: How Long Does Black Calibration Take?  (Read 13009 times)

Duane Degn

• View Profile
How Long Does Black Calibration Take?
« on: June 12, 2017, 04:22:21 PM »
I received my camera today and I'm current performing a black calibration. The message "Performing black calibration. Please wait." has been displayed well over an hour. I have a feeling something is wrong.

I have the lens cap in place.

I'm using a SanDisk 8GB (class 10) SD card, formatted as FAT32.

What's the longest time I should expect a black calibration to take?

Critters

• View Profile
Re: How Long Does Black Calibration Take?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 04:31:29 PM »
~15 seconds

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 04:58:24 PM »
I received my camera today and I'm current performing a black calibration. The message "Performing black calibration. Please wait." has been displayed well over an hour. I have a feeling something is wrong.

I have the lens cap in place.

I'm using a SanDisk 8GB (class 10) SD card, formatted as FAT32.

What's the longest time I should expect a black calibration to take?

That's definitely gotten stuck in some way, it should take about 15-20 seconds or so. Restart the camera and try again.

What resolution/frame rate did you have the camera set to? I'll try to reproduce the problem here.

Duane Degn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 09:42:59 PM »
What resolution/frame rate did you have the camera set to?

The black calibration appears to hang no matter which resolution/rate I chose.

Should I be seeing a preview image on the screen?

I have yet to see any image other than flashing vertical lines on the screen.

When I have some time, I'll make a video showing what I'm seeing.

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 11:09:54 PM »
Flashing vertical lines definitely isn't normal, you should get a normal image once the camera is booted. If you're not getting a proper image, we'll swap your camera out for another one.

Boot the camera, then press record, and one second later press stop. Got into playback mode, how many frames does it show have been recorded? This will be displayed on the center of the button area on the right.

Duane Degn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »
It shows 4403 frames were recorded from the aprox. one second record time.

The area I assume should be showing the recorded image, continues to flash vertical lines when in play back mode. I would have thought this area would show a static image when not scrolling through the frames.

I really hate the idea of having to swap cameras. I can understand you're want to investigate the issue yourself but I'm willing to open the camera and look for obvious connection problems. I could share photos of what I find to aid in possibly troubleshooting the issue remotely.

I once received a CD drive for my PC which was DOA. It was under warranty but rather than send it back, I voided the warranty by opening the drive. Fortunately I was able to find and fix the issue with the CD drive so my voided warranty wasn't a problem.

I wouldn't want to void the warranty on this camera, but I am willing to attempt to troubleshoot the issue. If I can't find anything obvious wrong, I would then put the camera back together and send it to you.

I would imagine there are lots of connections inside the camera which could possibly jiggle loose during shipping.

If doing so wouldn't compromise the warranty, I'm very willing to open the camera to look for problems.

BTW, I just checked and the recorded video shows the same vertical lines seen during recording.

I do not see anything which resembles a real image in either the preview screen or the recorded video.

Edit: Fixed a couple typos.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:53:29 PM by Duane Degn »

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »
Sounds like a RAM problem, I've sent you an email with further instructions.

JamesB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »
I am getting the occasional black single frame or skipped frames 1-4frames in certain clips. Funny thing is it happens sometimes and mostly don't so it is unpredictable. It may be a ram flush problem or transfer from RAM to SD card. I Tried 3 cards all Sandisk, all skip at some point. Not all clips are affected.  I'll keep testing to see if battery voltage remaining could be part of the problem as in AC Adapter and Battery difference.

BTW How do I choose in 720p, for example, lower frame rates than 1502fps?  I plug in the lower frame rate and try to lower the exposure time and resets back to the preset.

Taofledermaus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 02:56:02 PM »
The higher the resolution,  the longer the B/C takes.   It should take more than 20 seconds or so though.   

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 01:31:39 AM »
I am getting the occasional black single frame or skipped frames 1-4frames in certain clips. Funny thing is it happens sometimes and mostly don't so it is unpredictable. It may be a ram flush problem or transfer from RAM to SD card. I Tried 3 cards all Sandisk, all skip at some point. Not all clips are affected.  I'll keep testing to see if battery voltage remaining could be part of the problem as in AC Adapter and Battery difference.

BTW How do I choose in 720p, for example, lower frame rates than 1502fps?  I plug in the lower frame rate and try to lower the exposure time and resets back to the preset.

Try a different brand, all the Sandisk cards may have the same internal firmware/controller

To reduce the frame rate, just tap on the frame rate box and enter a new value. You need to tap once to bring up the keyboard, and then again to put the cursor there so you can type (annoying bug, on the list to fix).