Author Topic: SD Card Speeds  (Read 8098 times)

Electra

• View Profile
SD Card Speeds
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:48:29 AM »
There used to be another thread about SD cards I can't find.. Please move this comment if it's obvious!
What is the maximum rate the camera can write out to a card? Is it worth getting things like the SanDisk Extreme's with their 90MB/s write speeds or will it have no benefit over the cheaper 40MB/s ones?

And what about writing to a USB drive? Any advantage over SD card vs. USB speed wise, or is the limitation the encoder?

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: SD Card Speeds
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 10:17:21 AM »
The SD interface is limited to 48MHz @ 4-bit, so cards above 24MB/s are of no benefit. I've had good luck with normal class 10 cards (10MB/s). Higher speeds may be beneficial later when RAW saving is available, but there doesn't appear to be any benefit for compressed saving, except maybe if you turn the bitrate up very high.

I've had poor experiences with pretty much all USB drives, they just don't seem to have good or consistent write speed. The one drive that seems to work reasonably is the Sandisk Cruzer Glide. Portable hard drives seem fine, I haven't had any saving problems with those.

David

Taofledermaus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »
Saving the entire clip will take forever,  so if you can,   try to mark in/out  just what you want to save.   

Electra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 11:54:46 PM »
I intend to do that when I have it in a few weeks. The easy mark in/out feature will make a huge difference, I know.  I just thought making sure the external storage is not the limiting factor is a good idea.
It'll be used in makerspace and other similar environments with many users so write speed may be important.
I'm just gathering up useful parts. This is the first 'real' camera I've owned so the first time I've needed to buy an SD card above 8Gb and there is a /huge/ price difference between a 64Gb 4MB/s and the 95MB/s cards  :)