Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

I am a professional colorist & would like to try improving your raw footage

<< < (2/12) > >>

Pritchboxer:
Thanks for your responses guys. Thank you so much NiNeff, I will take a look at the raw data but I'm afraid it's too blurry to begin with. Maybe its the lense you're using? I'd suggest stopping down the aperture as far as you can go without having to push the iso above the lowest setting to improve sharpness. I do worry the jagged edges and noise we see is to do with the 2x2 binning method I believe this sensor uses which is likely gonna create jagged edges. If someone could do a test with a known sharp lense such as the nikkor, stopped down a bit to increase sharpness, it would be perfect.

Nikon1:
As far as i know, the sensor does not use bining but is just 1280x1024px, but in a bayer-Pattern.
If you look up "Bayer-Pattern" (or whatever the exact name of that Article is) on Wikipedia, you will find, that even good algorythms will only give you about 70 to 80% of effective Resolution of the original bayer-Pattern, even with opimal algorithm for your Scene...
So, if you take that 1280x1024 resolution (which is allready quite Low, especially by todays standards with the ongoing megapixel war of big manufacturers) and multiply it by 70%, you will get around 1 Megapixel effective Resolution (in terms of Sharpness and Ability to resolve Details, renderd by the lens on the Sensor).
IF you use the full Sensor Resolutin, that is...
If you are going for 16:9 and use 720p Resolution, it is even Worse effective Resolution.
So, i dont think it is especially blurry or something, it is just "Low Resolution". But Given The Framerate it is still quite Respectable...
So the "kit Lens" is actually almost ok for that camera and most people, since the Pixels are that big and because you wont even see the unsharp lens, unless you are Pixel-Peeping like me and you maybe also. But Color, glare, flares and contrast are somewhat different, since it will make the final image look wrong in some Way.
Just for your info: i have very slow internet connection and because of that i watch almost everything in 240p or 360p HD Resolution. I still could tell immedeately what shot in a video was filmed on the chronos and which one was filmed on some other Camera...
On my 20 Megapixel 1" sensor i would never want to use a lens with low Resolution, because it would be way to blurry for me.
That Nikon1 32mm Lens (and all my other Nikon1 Lenses...) CAN be mounted on the Chronos!
I allready built an adapter for that, but i never got my hands on a chronos to do a comparison against my Nikon J5 in the Same Light with the same Lens and same Settings.
I would not wonder at all, if the Nikkor Lens would be WAY better than the Kit Lens, since it costs arround 800€ or even more when new, and it is built for extreme High-Resolution 1"-Sensors, so it should also perform extremely well on the Chronos also.

Pritchboxer:
The sensor is advertised as doing 2x2 binning... maybe it's just an option but would make sense considering the jagged edges. There's certainly more bad things going on than just low resolution. Also I think maybe what you're referring to is the way an image is debayered depending on the bitrate. A 14 bit raw video should retain all the details providing there are enough photosites. 8 bit video is where some of the pixels are guessed effectively, based on key pixels.

Nikon1:
you could do 2x2 Bining on the chronos, thats right, but that is just for increasing the FOV for very high Framerates.
Think about it:
If you have a realy small resolution it is just croping the Sensor to a realy small size, so you would need realy crazy wide Lenses like around 1 or 2mm focal length in some cases if you just use 1:1 pixels because of that small sensor size to beginn with and the aditional crop you would apply.
2x2 bining is in that case just to make life a bit easyer, that you could get along with fewer, less exotic lenses.
If you would use 2x2 bining on the full sensor it would give you 640x512px total resolution from my understanding. That would allow for faster Framerates while still being able to get the "look" of the 2/3" sensor (like DoF-Effects and so on), just lower Resolution.
Native Sensor resolution should be 1280x1024px

Pritchboxer:
I'm not saying I want to do it, I'm saying on the sensor's tech page they say it does 2x2 binning. Maybe this is how it achieves such high frame rates but at the expense of reduced true resolution like you say.

Hopefully thats not correct and it's simply bad post processing. I'd love to get a hold of the recent raw bird footage. That looked almost ok... I think if I can get my hands on it potentially I can make it clean 720p. If it is down to the sensor, I'm not sure why they havent upgraded to the newer 1080p sensor available from the same manufacturer. The markup between the cost of the sensors and selling price is huge already.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version