Author Topic: Playing back high-speed video  (Read 8958 times)

rdemyan

• View Profile
Playing back high-speed video
« on: October 14, 2020, 12:32:56 PM »
Hi All:

I just got the Chronos 2.1 last week and it is pretty cool.  But if I film something say at around 5000 fps in .mp4 format, how do I play it back?  If I use something like AVS video editor, I can only slow the speed down to .05.  I'm not sure what the speed is then.  0.05 of what?  It does seem like the higher the filming fps, the slower, in a relative sense, it plays back at a specific speed setting in the desktop software.  Ultimately my question is, how can I tell people who view my video what speed they are actually seeing, because it doesn't seem to be the speed that the video was filmed in.

Thanks.

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Playing back high-speed video
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 01:01:53 PM »
I dont quite understand the Question.
 For once you have playback fps (The Chronos 2.1 out of the box will save .mp4 Video at 60fps if i am not mistaken), and the Framerate you are actually recording at.
 So now just assume, you record something at 6000fps, and didnt change the 60fps Setting for the .mp4 Save, your PC will play the Video back a 100 times slower than Real time. So now in a video editing software, you could also let that 60fps Clip play back at only lets say 6fps, so then Your Video will be 1000 times slower than real time (will look not smooth at all, but its slower...) . But you can also speed it up, so for example play it back at 600fps, which would make the final Video only 10 times Slower than real time. Since most common displays will however have a hard time actually displaying more than 60fps, and most usual computers would also run into some trouble trying to display 600fps, most video editing software will just display every 10th frame, so the actual final video file after rendering it will still be 60fps but played back a lot faster. As far as Playback speed in relation to Record Frame Rate and Real time. I am not at all familiar with AVS, but assume its some not too serious or professional software, because i never heard anything about it (if it is, i might have been missing out...), but if you want to do more advanced video editing, i highly reccomend you to use more professional software, which allows for propper time Remapping and such things. Advantage of more professional Software is also that there is a ton of tutorials about litterally every thing you might want to do somewhere online, which you might not find for other video editing software. There are also quite a few free options, so make sure to check those out. From My own preference i can only reccomend Adobe After Effects, but thats not free software. Some Other People like Premiere Pro, or Final Cut, if you are a Mac User, but there is also Resolve, which has (or at least Had) some kind of free version, so maybe take a look at those. Otherwise, just make sure you set the Save FPS correctly right on the Chronos, so you wont need to convert your files. Or if you want real time Footage, just shoot at 60fps and save at 60. Dont really know what you are trying to do with the .05 in the AVS?
 If the Question there is about how to lable the Actual Speed of the final Video, the best way for normal people (and still correct for all the Other people, that know a bit more about highspeed) to lable speed would in my opinion be speed compared to realtime. so if you say for example shoot something at 1000fps and play it back at 25fps (what i usually do with my 2.1) then It is 40 times slower or 40x SlowMotion.
 And obviously yes, thats kind of the point of a highspeed camera, that the final video you are seeing is not the Speed it actually happened when it was filmed. The Whole Idea is to Shoot a Crazy amout of Frames in a very short time period (like 1000 in a Second) and then Play them back at 25 at a second, so you can stretch the 1000 frames you captured in the Time of that Second out to play back in a time of 40 seconds. (24fps beeing the generally agreed framerate at which single images shown as a "Slideshow" behind each other seem to become fluid motion), so you can either better see what is happening in very fast motions or create more interresting and immersive Visuals. So final Playback speed of your video clip depends not only on the fps its shot at, but also at whatever speed you show those frames.
 Hope this clears this Question up a bit, still not sure, if i even understood your problem you are asking about here?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 01:54:34 PM »
Ok, i just looked up AVS video editor, and from an quick image search and not too much further research that thing looks like a ripoff windows MovieMaker from 15 Years ago....
 Not to upset anyone or something, it might be more capeable than it looks or idk, but i really would reccomend you to switch to an better editing software, if you want to do actuall editing on Video Footage. This kind of software is best used for someone who just wants to cut a bunch of clips from their phone or Point and Shoot together to an holiday movie clip to show your friends and Family, but thats about where the use of that kind of video editing software ends. Sure you propably can do a bunch more with it, but doing anything else than that can get pretty difficult very Quickly in those very basic editing software things, since they are just way too limited. Please really look into upgrading too some more serious software if you want to get professional results and save yourself a lot of frustration.

rdemyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 03:25:01 PM »
Hi.

Thanks for the input.

So, here's and example of what I'm going to place as text on my video for inclusion in a scientific paper:

10,488 FPS
583X Slow Motion

I've set the playback speed in AVS Editor (before producing it as a final video for distribution) at 0.3.  So since the original speed is 60 fps from the Chronos, the new speed would be 18 fps.

So, the 583X is calculated as follows:

10.488/18 = 582.67 or 583

Don't know about AVS editor being a ripoff, but for now it is meeting my needs.  It was cheap and I just couldn't justify paying monthly subscription fees for Adobe products, since I'm only producing videos for scientific purposes.

Please let me know if you think my calculations are in error.

Also, is that the correct way to phrase the degree of slow motion; i.e. 583X Slow Motion.

Thanks!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 07:35:43 AM »
Hi.

Thanks for the input.

So, here's and example of what I'm going to place as text on my video for inclusion in a scientific paper:

10,488 FPS
583X Slow Motion

I've set the playback speed in AVS Editor (before producing it as a final video for distribution) at 0.3.  So since the original speed is 60 fps from the Chronos, the new speed would be 18 fps.

So, the 583X is calculated as follows:

10.488/18 = 582.67 or 583

Don't know about AVS editor being a ripoff, but for now it is meeting my needs.  It was cheap and I just couldn't justify paying monthly subscription fees for Adobe products, since I'm only producing videos for scientific purposes.

Please let me know if you think my calculations are in error.

Also, is that the correct way to phrase the degree of slow motion; i.e. 583X Slow Motion.

Thanks!
Well, i cant justify paying for Adobe monthly either, but just bought Adobe CS6 Master Collection instead. Last version that You Actually OWN (kinda). for the Subscription thing, that is an actuall ripoff, wouldnt reccomend anyone supporting such marketing BS, unless you for some reason really need some of the latest features, which is rather unlikely, unless you do advanced rotoscoping and Tracking all day or something like that. Otherwise, even the older CS versions are still VERY capeable works of software. And i dont know, why i would pay for that as an service, since they developed it, and that work is done. i have everything i need, and pay for an product, not an service. Payed 300€ for the CS6 MC, and will use it as long as i want. With that subscription stuff, you end up paying way more in not even that much time if you let a bunch of years go by, and once you stop paying monthly, you have nothing. So, just save the Monthly fees you would pay up for a bit and get one of the Older CS packs, done.
 If used in context of any scientific Paper, i would propably call it as "583 times slower than real time" or something like that. ??x SlowMo or stuff like that sure sound cooler if you want to put it on YT or as Title of some Video to get a buch of clicks, but i am not sure if i´d use that in an Actuall serious scientific paper.
 About AVS, again, not trying to upset or attack someone thats using it, and it might even be a very powerfull software, but the Layout is just way too similar to The old windows MovieMaker to not notice it for me. Functionallity also seems very indentical, soooo.... idk. But who knows, as i said i didnt do any further research about it, maybe AVS was first, and then Microsoft made MovieMaker as an ripoff of that. Those two editors are just so strangely similar. But everyone has to start somewhere, i also started with MovieMaker at some point, and had a lot of fun with it, but eventually was too limited by the software and moved on. So, if it fits your needs, go with it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:37:33 AM by Nikon1 »

abellay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 10:55:16 AM »
You can actually use the Movavi video editor. It's a free app. As far as I know, it is also available for phones. I've been using it for more than 3 years. It has enough functions and features. This program will be enough for you if you're a beginner or even a middle video editor. Here's their site. If you feel its functions are not enough for you, you can try Adobe Premiere Pro. Actually, it's the best program for video editing I've ever used. Though tastes differ, you'll like it. Anyway, keep us updated on your choice.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 07:44:24 AM by abellay »

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »
Well, somewhat obviously yes, they are all trying to somehow make money/ have to make money from their Product.
 There is Software like Blender, which will also do a decent bit of Video Editing (no RAW Processing sadly, also very steep Learning Curve), and that is Based on Community Donations on their Website and has a sizeable following, thats why it is (and hopefully stays) free to use with all its Features.
 About any other Software that has some kind of payed Version will try to make you get the Payed version usually.
 Adobe CC (and the older versions, if you can still find them anywhere) also has a test Period of like a Month, where you can use the Software for free, but you already have to set up an account and give them Your Bank Data to even get access to the Free Test Version, and you have to remember to unsubscribe from their Service, otherwise they will charge you Monthly Costs, as soon as said month is over.
 Resolve has a Free version, which has very specific Limitations, and if you are Serious about it, they want to make you upgrade to the "Studio Version" of Resolve with those Limitations, which of course costs Money.
 Apple has Final Cut, which some People Prefer over Adobe Software and such, but will only run on Apple Hardware, for which you will pay "Apple-Tax".
 Sadly this is the case. Havent really looked into free Video Editing Software as much the few last years, but back when i did, those free, simple Video Editors either had some kind of Advertisements somewhere in them, or came from Questionable Websites (usually with Adware/ Malware somewhere probably...?).
 Most other Software that isnt based on Donations or something like that usually will not be free or at least not free to use forever sadly....
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 11:23:47 AM by Nikon1 »