Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

Moonlit stills, Chronos suitable?

<< < (6/6)

Nikon1:

--- Quote from: NiNeff on October 17, 2018, 09:31:00 AM ---@Sael: that mars video is actually really good, I guess you're using a magnification of about 250x to 300? Now I'll definitively need to hook up my telescope to the Chronos just for the fun of it

--- End quote ---
You could try just using Some Old Paper-Core from Toilet Paper or alike and A bunch of Tape for an Adapter if you want to go really ghetto and cheap with the adapter. Just cut it down to about the right Length and make sure you secure the Camera, so it wont drop down...
If you are patient enough and want to spend the Money there Should be Canon to C-Mount Adapters somewhere...i think?

Sael:
@Nikon1 6 or 12dB, I don't remember... I did abuse levels correction to hide noise however, because it's a black background with a bright object you can crush the shadows and hide a lot of the lower intensity noise. Attached is an example without the crushed blacks. Nikon to c adapters and Canon to c adapters are available on ebay for ~$40-$60CAD.

@NiNeff 600mm on a ~4x crop makes for ~2400mm 35mm equivalent. "magnification" doesn't really make much sense in the photography world unless you have a reference point. Some camera lines use a times zoom, but that's relative to the widest view of the camera. The field of view of a lens is mainly dependent on the focal length and the sensor size. A 50mm lens on a 35mm "Full Frame" sensor (arguably the most common lens and format in the film days) has about a 40 degree FOV, 600mm on a full frame is about 3.4 degrees, and with the size of the sensor on the Chronos it would be about 0.85 degrees. I guess that would be 47x then? Or 4x compared to the widest the lens goes... (150mm)

NiNeff:
I was using Magnification in the sense most Binoculars are displaying it. But actually I don't quite know how that is specified then. Googling reveals "an object viewed through 10x magnification glasses appears 10x times closer" which is not the same as 10x larger one might think. Also I have a feeling there's quite a bit of marketing involved so not really a good measure.

Splaccut:
sonic exe
--- Quote from: evanh on September 22, 2018, 02:42:01 AM ---I'm no optics expert but I get the impression the Chronos has a high sensitivity image sensor.  It stands to reason this could work in moonlight for stills or even ordinary speed video.

For comparison:
I've previously used a Canon S5, 2002 model, for some low-light work and it does work for stars in the night sky but I couldn't get it to pick up anything non-transmissive in a just-after-dusk shot.

PS:  I do want a high speed camera as well.  The Chronos monochrome model would seem the right option to cover both jobs.

--- End quote ---
If you're specifically looking for a high-speed camera that can also handle low-light photography, the Chronos monochrome model could be a suitable option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version