Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

Moonlit stills, Chronos suitable?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Nikon1:

--- Quote from: BiduleOhm on September 23, 2018, 07:24:39 AM ---Actually if you use the mode where the trigger controls the shutter you should be able to do really long exposures, far more than 10 seconds AFAIK.

--- End quote ---
ok, didnt think about this one... This is an VERY interresting Idea!
What would be limit for the exposure then, using this methode? If there is no Limit, then you could do exposures for almost forever... Should Work very well for super-Long Astro- and Night-Exposures!
I think something like 30 Minutes exposure for a single Frame is the Limit for some of the High-End DSLR´s, have not seen more on an DSLR or DSLM or alike, so this would be an seriuos usecase for the chronos.
Now that is something the Chronos does much better than most other today Digital Cameras (apart from special cameras for Industry and Astro-Use).

BiduleOhm:
Unless there's something I missed there shouldn't be any limit (new crazy idea: make a photo with an exposure of weeks or months...). I think the first limitation would be software crashes but the Chronos shouldn't have this problem even for multiple days exposures.

But you'll need a very good mount to track what you want with no smearing.

Nikon1:

--- Quote from: BiduleOhm on September 23, 2018, 08:36:20 AM ---Unless there's something I missed there shouldn't be any limit (new crazy idea: make a photo with an exposure of weeks or months...). I think the first limitation would be software crashes but the Chronos shouldn't have this problem even for multiple days exposures.

But you'll need a very good mount to track what you want with no smearing.

--- End quote ---
I dont think mounting is that big of an problem. There are some good Star-Tracking Mount you could built on your own and get solid results, even with high-Resolution-DSLR´s. And there are enough commercialy available also. And you could always just mount it on an solid Tripod and dont move it at all for everything else not involving Star- /Sattelite-Tracking.
I think you will run into problems with your exposure way bevore you get problems with an (reasonable good) Mounting Solution, if we talk about Deep Sky and Astro-Tracking.
Light pollution of the Sky and all that stuff...
At some point you will just overexpose your image because of ambient light sources.
That is also the Reason why they would take a lot of single exposures (which still could be several minutes or even hours long) and Stack them /interpolate them in Software to get more detail out of it.
You COULD expose for whole days or even longer with a camera however, but then you need a lens with a super small Apperture, some realy dense ND-Filter (Or stack some Up), a sensor with super low light sensitivity, or a place to Photograf with almost no light at all.
Thats were you get into Pinhole-Lens-Territory...
People have done stuff like that and did exposures of multiple weeks on an simle sheet of plain white office paper with an pinhole. The Sun in frame and all the light beeing projected all the time trough the lens onto the paper will "Burn" /bleach the image into the Paper and it will remain visible. Look it up if you want to. Also its quite common for Large Format Photography to use Appertures Like f/64, f/128 (and the Film in the Camera is also not very light sensitive...) combined with exposures of many minutes up to hours.
But for the chronos, i think it might even have an sensor too sensitive for such long exposures, if we are talking stuff like Landscape photography.
IF you could make it work in terms of getting an properly exposed image (not overexposing) with that kind of exposure-Times per Frame, then it should be able to make even Day or Week-Long exposures :)
I seriously never thought i could get hyped by the idea of using an highspeed-camera for timelapse, astro- /night-Stuff and Pinhole Lenses, but this is just an crazy cool idea.
Now i realy want to see someone push the exposure time to the limit for some Long Exposure stills. Should be an phenomenal Camera for Night timelapse and Hyperlapse then, because of the absolutely free defineable shutterspeed and framerate :)

BiduleOhm:

--- Quote from: Nikon1 on September 23, 2018, 09:29:54 AM ---There are some good Star-Tracking Mount you could built on your own and get solid results, even with high-Resolution-DSLR´s.
--- End quote ---

Yes, arduino and raspberry pi are making things like that pretty easy now.

--- Quote from: Nikon1 on September 23, 2018, 09:29:54 AM ---People have done stuff like that and did exposures of multiple weeks on an simle sheet of plain white office paper with an pinhole. The Sun in frame and all the light beeing projected all the time trough the lens onto the paper will "Burn" /bleach the image into the Paper and it will remain visible.
--- End quote ---

I didn't know this method existed, very interesting, thanks for the info :)

--- Quote from: Nikon1 on September 23, 2018, 09:29:54 AM ---I seriously never thought i could get hyped by the idea of using an highspeed-camera for timelapse, astro- /night-Stuff and Pinhole Lenses, but this is just an crazy cool idea.
--- End quote ---

Yep, I thought about doing timelapses with the Chronos because you can do interesting/weird things like non-regular intervals for example (and I love the irony of doing a really slow thing with a very fast camera... ;D), but I never thought about astro-photography.

dindindy:
 For low light filming, this camera is more suitable!

Another funny stuff from Kickstarter n_n!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/189168434/aurora-worlds-1st-day-night-camera-with-true-night

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version