Author Topic: Cheap SD cards class 10  (Read 8333 times)

Bernard Rousset

• View Profile
Cheap SD cards class 10
« on: October 01, 2018, 08:59:23 AM »
Hello,

There are currently very cheap SD cards from China. I have already buy a card elsewhere so I will not use this web site, but maybe someone should be interested. I didn't know the real performances of that kind of cards but it is indicated class 10...

And it is specified 100MB/s or 667X  seems pretty good !!

https://www.joybuy.com/600240860.html?_cps=62103310.1251138147&utm_source=AD111&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=202779

Bye
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:10:00 AM by Bernard Rousset »

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Cheap SD cards class 10
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »
Those super-High-Capacity Micro-SD´s are usualy pretty slow, especialy at that price point.
If the card would be fast, you Would find ratings somwhere on this website, but since i didnt fînd any info about card Speed there, you could expect it to be an rather slow Card.
i dont know, How that would affect Save-Times on the chronos, but for general Usage i can not recommend slow and Big cards like this, unless you plan to use it as an storage for an media-Player to write once (Will take some time to fill the card i guess) and Play multiple times.
Read Speed usualy are not super bad, but Write Speeds are Painfully slow most times with cards like this.

Bernard Rousset

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 09:27:00 AM »
Hello Nikon1,

I have modified a little my post and added the specifications you can find on the site if you look at the photos. 100MB/s is already a very good performance, even for a class 10!
To my knowledge The current maximum is 300MB/s but there are very few cards that allow this

It is always difficult to be sure of the performances. Normally Class 10 will allow a minimum bite rate of 10 MB/s

The symbol U1 gives the same value while U3 goes to 30MB/s as a minimum.
Finally the other figures should be taken in consideration as xxxMB/s or xxxX.

Here the card is a U1 and it isn't written 100MB/s or 667X or 667x150= 100050kO/s. Hope it is true at least for reading, probably a little lower in writing.

Bye
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:55:31 AM by Bernard Rousset »

Bernard Rousset

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 10:57:27 AM »
Hi,
There is also a U3 SD card where both bitrate in writing and reading mode are specified here:

https://www.joybuy.com/3297606.html?_cps=62103310.230084386&utm_source=AD111&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=202779

In reading 100MB/s and 90MB/s in writing

Bye
Bernard

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 11:02:28 AM »
Well, then it is maybe actually a good one...

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
Be very careful with (micro) SD cards, there are chinese clones everywhere and they just copy the specs on the website but the card will never meet them...

Personally I only buy good known model/brand from reputed sources and I never had any problems.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »
Be very careful with (micro) SD cards, there are chinese clones everywhere and they just copy the specs on the website but the card will never meet them...

Personally I only buy good known model/brand from reputed sources and I never had any problems.
Like i said i would be pretty surprised if this card with such an high capacity performs well at such an low price point.
I Bought an cheap 512GB Micro-SD once without any Specs about read/ Write Speeds and it was super Slow.
Since it was for someone Else (and had to be cheap and big), who would only put Music and Audio files on there (And propably almost never change them), and would just replay them, it was completely fine for that.
But if you plan for using this in any kind of camera, i personaly would buy some Reputable Brand.
You dont want the Card to fail, which could easily happen with this china-Stuff, especialy if you put some Work into whatever you film...
My Micro-SD-cards cost between 50 to 100€ each and are "only" 32 or 64GBs each. if you want an super-high-Capacity one with good R/W-Speeds and that would be durable, you will pay a lot...
Would highly recommend to not be cheap on cards on which you have to actually rely on.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 12:30:18 AM »
Guys, you spent several thousands on a camera, and want to save big on the SD cards? Really?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 02:15:02 AM »
Guys, you spent several thousands on a camera, and want to save big on the SD cards? Really?
There Will allways be those kinds of people who buy the most expensive Cameras and expect it to make somehow Magicaly good pictures or videos on its own and then they try to be cheap on Lenses, Tripods, cards, Lights and so on...
And i think this is not only exclusive to DSLR´s or the new Mirrorless-Craze (just to be clear, i like DSLMs...), this also applies to Chronos-Users.
Something about Cheap Lenses on Expensive Cameras:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5IMmEDWH4