Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

Workflow - Time

(1/5) > >>

benp:
Hi everyone.  I've been following this amazing little camera since just before the Kickstarter campaign ended.  The product has come a long way (congrats to the development team) and I've appreciated all of the contributors posting information, samples, and helpful tips for the user community.

I’m getting much closer to adding this camera to my kit and there’s only one outstanding issue I’m grappling with - time.  I’ve read older posts that indicate some shots can take 30 minutes or longer to export from the camera.  During that period, you can’t do anything but twiddle your thumbs and wait.  Is this correct?  Is there a bottleneck in workflow caused by the camera?

I have an open request for high speed analysis of firearm functionality (custom builders & loaders).  My concern is the length of time it would take from when the video is shot to when it could be viewed.  And then, how quickly another take could be filmed.

I have fast computers (MacPro 12-core cylinder) and HDDs (Thunderbolt and SAS arrays) available which are racked and mobile for handling processing.  The wildcard for me is how much time in the workflow the camera will add.  Can anyone share their experience with this?

BiduleOhm:
The problem isn't moving the file from the camera to your computer but rather moving it from the RAM of the camera to your SD card in the camera because once it's done you can remove the SD card and put another one in in a few seconds. The camera also has an eSATA connector but I can't remember if it works with the current software and, if so, if it is faster than the SD card slot, another member can answer that better than me.

The time depends on what length of footage you want to save and in what format. If you want to save 10 sec of footage it'll take 10 times longer than 1 sec, so select only what you're interested instead of saving the whole buffer. Then you have the choice between MP4 and RAW formats, if I remember right the RAW is slower to save (no time needed in encoding of course but it's far bigger than MP4).

Michael M.:
On a slow SD card, ive had to wait long. When I used an SSD, i was able to save rather quickly. I would highly reccomend getting an SSD. Can get you a photo of one of our lab setups later if you remind me. There is a 3D printed SSD mount on top with the SSD plugged into that with the wire running down into the port on the side of the camera. Not too intrusive and saves much faster than the standard sd card.

nik282000:
Are you using the SSD in a USB enclosure or eSATA?

Currently I am using a 128gb USB thumb drive that is ok but not great.

Michael M.:
The SSD is plugged into the esata port on the camera

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version