Author Topic: eSATA using FAT32 and DNG export AND an fps question  (Read 8679 times)

Martin

• View Profile
eSATA using FAT32 and DNG export AND an fps question
« on: December 31, 2018, 07:20:39 AM »
Greetings, these question are for the developers:

- Is there a folder naming bug when exporting to eSATA when the drive is Fat32 formatted?

After doing some eSATA export tests yesterday, using ext3 filesystem, today I tried to redo some tests using the same drive, Fat32 formatted (it's an old WD Raptor 10k drive, 74Gbytes in size, Clustersize is set to 64 sectors == 32Kbytes).

While saving to the SD card always resulted in folders named e.g. "vid_2018-12-31_16-22-09" (and I assume the ext3 folders were named like this as well, didn't check them, but never got an error like this), with Fat32 I can save only once!
The second export always cancels with "Recording failed: File exists", the reason being the raw-file folder wasn't named with the current date/time, it's simply named "vid_2018" (reboots, replugs, etc didn't change this).

The first video is also lost in that moment, the folder only contains the first .dng-file afterwards, 0-byte sized. All .dngs from the first, successful save are gone.

My second question:

- Is it somehow possible to e.g. set 1280x720 while recording "slower", meaning less fps than the default 1500?

Or was the philosophy to skip frames in post to reduce the slow-down of motion?
Sometimes 1280x720 @ 400 fps would be nice to have "in camera", I think :)
(Maybe I just didn't find the setting?)

Thanks!
And all the best for 2019, see you all on the other side! :)
Martin

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: eSATA using FAT32 and DNG export AND an fps question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »
My second question:

- Is it somehow possible to e.g. set 1280x720 while recording "slower", meaning less fps than the default 1500?

Or was the philosophy to skip frames in post to reduce the slow-down of motion?
Sometimes 1280x720 @ 400 fps would be nice to have "in camera", I think :)
(Maybe I just didn't find the setting?)

Thanks!
And all the best for 2019, see you all on the other side! :)
Martin

You can do 60fps or even Lower in Camera and basicaly could use the Chronos as an Normal Speed-CS-Mount videocamera. If you only need 400fps, it most of the time would be better to do it "in Camera" than to skip frames in Post production.
The Advantage of Lower Fps (lower than maximum Fps for your choosen resolution /Frame Size) is, that your recording time will get longer.
The Chronos can store some limited number of frames in Internal Memory. So if you record less frames per Time, your recording time Will get Longer, bevore the chronos has filled up all of its memory and has to delete the oldest frames.

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
Yea, please ignore the second question in this thread, I just found out how to do it... I never used this, always used max fps per resolution, but it's nice to know that it works! :)
(you can enter any value in the fps field, just don't forget to "apply".... and maybe match exposure)

All the best
Martin

PS: Nikon, thanks, I know dropping frames in post is a terrible idea :) Just forgot to "apply"... I can almost feel the face inside my palm :D

skronstein

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 06:20:20 PM »
Greetings, these question are for the developers:

- Is there a folder naming bug when exporting to eSATA when the drive is Fat32 formatted?

After doing some eSATA export tests yesterday, using ext3 filesystem, today I tried to redo some tests using the same drive, Fat32 formatted (it's an old WD Raptor 10k drive, 74Gbytes in size, Clustersize is set to 64 sectors == 32Kbytes).

While saving to the SD card always resulted in folders named e.g. "vid_2018-12-31_16-22-09" (and I assume the ext3 folders were named like this as well, didn't check them, but never got an error like this), with Fat32 I can save only once!
The second export always cancels with "Recording failed: File exists", the reason being the raw-file folder wasn't named with the current date/time, it's simply named "vid_2018" (reboots, replugs, etc didn't change this).

The first video is also lost in that moment, the folder only contains the first .dng-file afterwards, 0-byte sized. All .dngs from the first, successful save are gone.

What software version are you using?

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 10:44:42 PM »
Hi,

latest beta, v0.3.1 beta 9.

And I adjusted the cameras clock beforehand, but can't say for sure if only the FAT32 tests were done after (but I think so).

Thanks for your help!!
All the best
Martin
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:48:24 PM by Martin »

skronstein

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »
Hi,

latest beta, v0.3.1 beta 9.

And I adjusted the cameras clock beforehand, but can't say for sure if only the FAT32 tests were done after (but I think so).

Thanks for your help!!
All the best
Martin

The latest software is actually v0.3.1 RC1, available here: http://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=434.0
Could you retest on RC1 and see if that can save multiple DNG sequences and with folders correctly named?

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 08:31:36 AM »
Hi again,

just finishing another round of writespeed tests with RC1 and I can confirm the autoname folder feature on esata formatted with FAT32 still doesn't work.
I'm using one of these btw: Fantec QB-35US3
http://www.fantec.de/fileadmin/downloads/products/festplattengehaeuse_festplatten/QB-35US3/datasheet/FANTEC_QB-35US3_datasheet_en.pdf
It's a multislot casing, the Raptor is in slot 1 (that slot is always recognised by sata controllers incapable of recognising multiple devices per port, iirc the feature is called port-multiplier)
So, I had to manually name each folder in the save settings.

On a FAT32 formatted SD Card it does work to leave the foldename field blank.

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 12:55:59 PM »
Hmmm... ok, I think I found the reason..

The HDD used has 74Gbyte capacity, I formatted the whole drive in FAT32 using a tool (h2format in this case) which circumvents the Windows 7 limit to 32Gbyte partitions when formatting FAT32.

I found my whole second test batch in shambles  :'(  Each folder contained only the first raw file and each file- and foldername was truncated to the 8(.3) limitation.

During my test I had some troubles manually specifying the folder name, I often got "Filename already exists" and had to use a different combination of characters each time, some were quite long, all were cut to 8(.3) with a random character at the end (the first 7 were how I tried to name them, the 8th was a random one, maybe the last character of the longer filename, not sure).

So I repartitioned to 2 x 32Gbyte and 1 x 10Gbyte, formatted FAT32 using Win 7, and now it works. Even the automatic naming works if you leave the field blank :D

FAT32 seems to be slower than EXT3 as well, when saving RAW? Not much, but it's a difference, mostly on the smaller filesize writespeeds..

Would like to get some feedback on this, if it's just me or if it's reproducable. Thanks :)

All the best
Martin