Author Topic: Problem saving No storage device found  (Read 7769 times)

scottlw

• View Profile
Problem saving No storage device found
« on: March 31, 2019, 02:08:23 PM »
First let me say what happened.... I forgot to put my sd into the camera after setting up 6 other cameras and slicing my fingers open on a barrel that I had to position. Normally I have no problem saving on it but I captured my footage and hit save to realize that the sd card wasn't in it, so I put it in and it still wouldn't save.  Decided to try 3 other sd cards (Kingston and sandisk) and the only thing it will say is no storage devices detected. I cannot recapture the footage (Explosions). I also rushed home with the camera hoping to find another way to save the footage to my pc with no luck.  Am I doomed to lose the footage? Or can it be saved somehow?

scottlw

• View Profile
Re: Problem saving No storage device found
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 02:27:34 PM »
I guess the only way to get it to detect an sd card is by turning it off and back on again. Lost 12lbs of explosives going off :( but I guess I gained knowledge.

foobar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 03:57:43 PM »
You can also try saving the footage to a USB drive as long as it's formatted as FAT32 or Ext2/3, that might provide you with another mechanism to save the footage if something has gone awry with the SD card slot. To know more about why the SD card was not being detected correctly, we would have log into the camera via to SSH (using the micro-USB port) and check into what the kernel thinks of the SD card. If you can manually mount the SD card using the Linux mount command then the UI should still be able to save footage to it.

If you're on one of the 0.3.1 software releases, and you have SSH access to the camera, then you can also use the /opt/camera/cam-recover tool to extract footage from a camera isn't able to save via the normal method (be warned that this option is quite slow).

scottlw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 05:02:47 PM »
Thank you for the info, I do have a usb drive formatted to fat32 but didn't even think about trying it. For some reason it just didn't want to recognize any sd cards until after restarting the camera.  Next time ill double check everything before trying to capture a shot.  Fingers were killing me so I rushed.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »
Also as long as your video is still in memory and nothing else works you could use the HDMI output and capture it there somehow, if needed frame by frame.

skronstein

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 08:44:56 PM »
I've had a similar issue at least once before with a fat32 SD card - it would either take a very long time to show up, or never show up at all.  I just had to reformat the card.  I chose ext3, but a reformat as fat32 might have worked too.

Suspension

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 10:46:41 PM »
I have forgot to insert the SD card several times, luckily only one shot was lost.
Quick idea: a popup message if recording is started without an active storage device?

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 10:11:51 AM »
I have forgot to insert the SD card several times, luckily only one shot was lost.
Quick idea: a popup message if recording is started without an active storage device?
Please don't do this, if it would block the recording. It's better to insert a storage device afterwards than loosing a shot because the recording got delayd/siterrupted/whatever by a popup warning!
Instead maybe add an icon indicating if no storage is inserted