Chronos > Software Dev

Chronos V0.3.2 Beta - Updated June 25th 2019 with beta-6

<< < (3/4) > >>

foobar:
Thanks for the testing and feedback everyone. I have updated this thread with an updated build of the beta software. Please see the first post for a link to the camUpdate-v0.3.2-beta-6-gd0ce2a6.zip installer package. As a brief description of what has changed since the beta-1 backage:

Notable Features:
 - Reverted to two-point (linear) gain correction. After further testing the 3-point correction just seems to cause problems at the more aggressive gain settings.

Minutae:
 - Add a watchdog to reboot the camera in case of power-on boot failure.

Fixed Bugs:
 - Memory leak in the M3 video coprocessor which could lead to a crash after lots of H.264 encoding.
 - Ignore video which was recorded during black calibration.
 - Changes to exposure may be overwritten during black calibration.

NiNeff:
Sorry for the delayed test, but here are my findings (just to be safe I let the cam warm up and did black calibration for all resolutions)

- in 0.3.2 b6 i now have vertical bands for the first time, never had them in any version up to 0.3.1 (images available on request).
- lowering the framerate while keeping the resolution the same dramatically increases the noise level. I'm not sure if this was always the case, but it seems new. I experienced this after doing a black cal on 1069 fps and with the lenscap still on then changing to 1000 fps.
- changing the shutterangle sometimes leads to horizontal bands on the display, haven't tried recording while changing the shutter yet.
- I really like the new util screen, especially for the storage!
- also had the full power fan on the first boot, now it seems to behave normally.

foobar:
Do the vertical bands and the increased noise level issues persist after performing a black calibration? Note that changing the framerate will cause a change in frame timing that may invalidate the black calibration. In particular, framerates above 1053fps at 1280x1024 will need a different black calibration from framerates below 1053fps.

As for the horizontal lines; There is a horizontal artifact that appears in the raw image that corresponds to timing of where the shutter signal changes relative to the frame readout. The line of the image where this occurs is normally corrected by the black calibration. However, if the shutter is changed after black calibration then the calibration data will no longer correct for this artifact. The result is that you will see one or two horizontal lines on the image that will persist until a new black calibration is performed. This issue has existed in all previous software releases of the Chronos.

Another possible cause of horizontal lines that we are aware of when changing the shutter from the main window. If the shutter is changed in the middle of a frame it can result in a change in brightness partway through the image and this appears as bright flashes while changing shutter. However the issue should not persist for longer than a single frame.

NiNeff:

--- Quote from: foobar on July 07, 2019, 07:13:34 PM ---Do the vertical bands and the increased noise level issues persist after performing a black calibration? Note that changing the framerate will cause a change in frame timing that may invalidate the black calibration. In particular, framerates above 1053fps at 1280x1024 will need a different black calibration from framerates below 1053fps.

--- End quote ---
They mostly disappear after back calibration, and I'm now actually unable to reproduce the really noticeable ones I got on the first tests. Maybe doting several black calibs helped.

--- Quote from: foobar on July 07, 2019, 07:13:34 PM ---As for the horizontal lines; There is a horizontal artifact that appears in the raw image that corresponds to timing of where the shutter signal changes relative to the frame readout. The line of the image where this occurs is normally corrected by the black calibration. However, if the shutter is changed after black calibration then the calibration data will no longer correct for this artifact. The result is that you will see one or two horizontal lines on the image that will persist until a new black calibration is performed. This issue has existed in all previous software releases of the Chronos.

--- End quote ---
Not really a problem though as I'm not intending to change the shutter during recording.

--- Quote from: foobar on July 07, 2019, 07:13:34 PM ---Another possible cause of horizontal lines that we are aware of when changing the shutter from the main window. If the shutter is changed in the middle of a frame it can result in a change in brightness partway through the image and this appears as bright flashes while changing shutter. However the issue should not persist for longer than a single frame.
--- End quote ---
While testing I never got bright flashes but sometimes completely black horizontal bands in the recording, but again understandable and not really an issue for "reasonable" usage. If i ever need to change the shutter during recordings it might be also achieved by changing the aperture and so on.

CR0M3:
Stuck Previewpicture. (Record > Play > Close > Profit)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version