Author Topic: Home made accessories  (Read 11716 times)

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
    • Sugar Lake Rustic Furniture
Home made accessories
« on: June 15, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »
I was looking for a pistol grip for my 1.4 but the ones I saw on Amazon all have a mounting screw that is too short (the female thread is the bottom of the camera case is a bit recessed) so I made my own.
I started with a small maple branch that felt good in my hand & cut it to size. The mounting screw is made of an old plastic knob with a piece of 1/4" bolt epoxied into it. Sanded then finished with tung oil.
High tech meets low tech.
Its a bit front heavy so I'll keep my eye open for a more suitably shaped branch when I'm cutting firewood this summer.

NiNeff

• View Profile
Re: Home made accessories
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 10:10:26 AM »
Great work! I however fail to see a usecase for this, could you please explain what this sort of grip is for?

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 05:34:23 PM »
... could you please explain what this sort of grip is for?

I'm playing with recording birds around our feeders, sometimes without a tripod. When the camera is hand held & I'm changing settings or adjusting the lens etc I find it awkward to hold the camera securely with one hand so I thought I would try this.  It does feel more secure to me but I've noticed, as I mentioned above that it is a little front heavy.  Once I find a more ergonomic stick, version 2.0 will move the mount point closer to my wrist.

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 08:20:58 PM »
Here are 2 trigger cables I made.
The one on the left uses a snow shovel handle for the grip & a mini push button I had lying around.  The other one uses a stick handle with a mini limit switch leftover from another project for the trigger.  In both cases I used flexible speaker wire & BNC to Screw Terminal connectors I got from Amazon.
Both work fine but I like the feel of the limit switch better since it has a noticeable click when depressed.

Michael M.

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 04:48:23 PM »
Great idea! I'm sure you could also 3D print something sturdy enough too with a good design. Perhaps PETG?

-Michael

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 05:26:26 PM »
Great idea! I'm sure you could also 3D print something sturdy enough too with a good design. Perhaps PETG?

Yes I could.
If I had a 3D printer.
(next toy - maybe)

Prehistoricman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 12:59:05 PM »
I made some pegs for putting a strap on.

The big piece is laser-cut plywood (I think) and then the screw is covered with a few laser-cut plastic washers.

Sael

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 04:58:31 PM »
A few of the more successful home made bits. My first grip was made with some 1/16" aluminum, bent at a right angle with a few holes and a bit of cord tied on the grip. This worked well but I noticed the paint began to chip off the edges as it wasn't sturdy enough to hold the camera's weight and would flex. My second addon was a simple 3d printed picatinny rail that bolted to the two 4mm holes on top of the camera. A case of "it looks stupid but it works." It's good for following fast moving objects such as birds, as being able to track without the delay to the screen or a restricted field of view makes things much more easy. Simply set your focus, with as small an aperture as light allows for a wider field of focus, and put the dot on the thing you want to follow. Lastly an upgraded grip made from 1/4" aluminum bar and a bit of 9mm rod. much more sturdy, and included a cutout to access the backfocus screw.

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 05:36:25 PM »
Nice accessories Sael.
I'm interested in your attachment for tracking fast moving objects.  I don't have a 3D printer (yet) but I'm sure I can figure out another way to attach some kind of sighting device to the camera. What is the thing that's labelled RioRand?

NEVER MIND
Found it on Amazon
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:46:31 PM by PointyHairedBoss »

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 05:48:48 AM »
... picatinny rail...

Since my metal working tools consist of a hacksaw & a few files & I don't (yet) have a 3D printer I made mine out of hard maple finished with tung oil to match the pistol grip.

PointyHairedBoss

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 07:51:45 AM »
My previous attempt at a pistol grip accessory was OK but I improved things by making a 2 handed model.  Much easier hold & track quickly moving critters.

CS223

• 1.4 Color s/n 01266
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 08:04:24 AM »
I've got one of the Stedi-Stocks that I use for a thermal camera. It would probably work well for wildlife work, be easy to home brew one as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JQJXKA8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_wHUQEbB1TKKCJ