Author Topic: Chronos Ring and ethernet support.  (Read 5436 times)

olejokle

• View Profile
Chronos Ring and ethernet support.
« on: August 28, 2019, 05:20:43 AM »
Hello,

I'm trying to use the Chronos 1.4 camera for scientific purposes. My goal is to connect the camera to the local network, send a trigger signal to start/stop recording and exposure trigger mode with a second variable frequency trigger signal. I got the exposure trigger mode work with a signal generator on the BNC.

I know that ethernet support is in the pipeline, and are coming soon. But I have no time to waste, so if someone knows a hack on how to make ethernet work, that would be nice. I saw that tesla500's youtube video Chronos Ring used Gigabit ethernet to download the videos to a server. Did he install the developing Debian version?

foobar

• View Profile
Re: Chronos Ring and ethernet support.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:04:06 AM »
Yes, the cameras that we have been using in the Chronos ring are all running Debian, with a cople changes to the configuration and packages. The difficulty is that running the network control API, we do not have a GUI working just yet and the only way to control the cameras is through their network interface. This presents a fairly significant loss of general usability, which is why we haven't been shipping this our production cameras.

If you want to try out a camera running Debian, there should be some rough instructions in the README of the chronos-updates repository on how to build and install Debian onto your camera. We recommend doing this on a spare microSD card so that you can still revert back to a working camera by swapping the operating system cards.

olejokle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 02:29:08 AM »
Thank you for the informative reply. We will probably not try to install Debian in the near future. We found out that we most likely can do what we want with the trigger inputs and the HDMI output with an HDMI recorder.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 07:13:57 AM »
@krontech:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-field_camera
Today i came Across the Whole Light-Field-Camera thing again after Years, and it got me wondering, if anyone at Krontech ever thought about using that array of camers you use for the Ring, but all pointed in the Same Direction.
I doubt this was Ever done with Highspeed-Cameras?
Some Years ago i came across an Article with images where some institute used an array of 7-20 (dont Remember exactly) matched Super Tele-Lenses and Cameras for some Deep-Space Light-Field Imaging on some Star-Tracking mount.
However, anything needed for some kind of similar Setup (maybe not for Astro-Imaging...) for Highspeed with an Chronos-Array would just be what you allready have developed for the Ring, but just a different Mounting System for the Actual Cameras, to point all in the Same Direction...
Processing for an Final image would be done in Software in Post using a Frame from Each Camera taken At the Same point in time. Software for something like This should allready exist somewhere?
Just as an Idea for you guys. Not that i would be in Need for something like this, but it would pretty sure be a worlds first for this with pretty low Effort for you, since you allready have all the Hardware (well not yet for Mounting..) and Software!