Author Topic: Chronos V0.4.0 Beta - Debian and Networking  (Read 75518 times)

gyppor

• View Profile
Re: Chronos V0.4.0 Beta - Debian and Networking
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2020, 08:18:14 PM »
Stupid question: Can you keep various versions each on their own uSD card and just swap them around? For example to use the 40k FPS mode in version V0.3.2 then swap the card for V0.4.0 to try the various new features?
Yes, this is possible, just like swapping SD cards in a Raspberry Pi ;D

I've done this but had issues saving to an SD card that had older footage from version 0.3.2 on it. After I tried the new software version and had issues I reinserted the old card, but I couldn't save to the SD storage card. It would tell me "file already exists, rename and try again" when I tried to save. Removing the SD card with the old video files on it and replacing with a blank USB key solved the problem.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:33:04 PM by gyppor »

CS223

• 1.4 Color s/n 01266
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2020, 10:21:10 PM »
Stupid question: Can you keep various versions each on their own uSD card and just swap them around? For example to use the 40k FPS mode in version V0.3.2 then swap the card for V0.4.0 to try the various new features?
Yes, this is possible, just like swapping SD cards in a Raspberry Pi ;D

I've done this but had issues saving to an SD card that had older footage from version 0.3.2 on it. After I tried the new software version and had issues I reinserted the old card, but I couldn't save to the SD storage card. It would tell me "file already exists, rename and try again" when I tried to save. Removing the SD card with the old video files on it and replacing with a blank USB key solved the problem.

I was referring to swapping the firmware SD card. But even then, having a file storage SD card formatted by each firmware version and marked as such and swapped when the firmware SD card is swapped wouldn’t be a big deal. That said, if there are firmware version/hardware limitations for example having network capable firmware results in sacrificing speed or some other feature it would be advantageous to have multiple firmware versions so if you need a specific feature you swap in the version with that feature while giving up another. Speed for networking, or whatever. It would allow the user to taylor the application as needed and add versatility to the hardware. And simplify things too by keeping menus simple and not trying to cram everything into one all encompassing version.

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2020, 10:02:00 AM »
Every time I upgrade the firmware/OS I make an image of the SD card in case something goes wrong. So far I haven't had any problems swapping between versions. My most recent roll back was from 0.4.0b + online updates (about 40 or so) back to 0.4.0b with no updates, I didn't run into any problems. Previous to that I went between the 0.1 0.2 and 0.3 with no particular issues.

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2020, 11:24:25 AM »
Hello nice people. Just a question: Downloading a beta version here to Europe takes hours for me. I am quite sure this is because the beta-software is hosted on a subdomain directly on the krontec server. I am sure, there is no copy located somewhere here in Europe, thus one really has to download directly from krontec. This is very slow, I suppose there is no dedicated contingent for such a small server. It takes 14 hours for me, and I really have the fastest connection here. Also, I know that these connections to oversea servers are almost like peer-to-peer. So: Anyone knowing a faster location too? Like github or so?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 11:26:26 AM by clkdiv »

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2020, 01:59:21 PM »
Hello nice people. Just a question: Downloading a beta version here to Europe takes hours for me. I am quite sure this is because the beta-software is hosted on a subdomain directly on the krontec server. I am sure, there is no copy located somewhere here in Europe, thus one really has to download directly from krontec. This is very slow, I suppose there is no dedicated contingent for such a small server. It takes 14 hours for me, and I really have the fastest connection here. Also, I know that these connections to oversea servers are almost like peer-to-peer. So: Anyone knowing a faster location too? Like github or so?

Thanks!
Are you using this official repo: http://debian.krontech.ca/builds/ ?
Here in Germany, my downloads from there vary a bit in speed but are generally in between 1-5 Mb/s so adequatly quick for the ~500MB filesize. They do however start slow and then increase in speed.

Up to 0.3.2 the files were actually available on github: https://github.com/krontech/chronos-updates/releases
As the 0.4 updates have a completely different structure its understandable they aren't there.
You also only have to download the whole thing once and can then use the on-camera update which then only downloads the required changes.

skronstein

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2020, 04:04:36 PM »
I'm sorry, I've gotten lost in this thread. Can someone clear this up for me? Is there a new update to the 1.4 and/or 2.1 that is stable? I have one of both but i'm hesitant to try to change anything on them as we are in the middle of things that are difficult to set up/tear down. The last time I was able to simply plug the camera in with an ethernet cable and download the update. Is this different now?
Thank you,
Laura

To our knowledge, the current release is stable. For any camera already running a version 0.4 beta or newer, connect an ethernet cable and download the latest update on camera. Alternatively, you can get SD card images here: http://debian.krontech.ca/builds/
Use a 'voyager' file to get the stable software.
The 'unstable' files are only for if those who want the latest software that has received less testing.

A Chronos 1.4 be updated to 0.4. See the first post in this thread for how to update to this software.
All Chronos 2.1 cameras ship with a beta of 0.4, so they can update from the network right from the start.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2020, 10:09:51 PM »
Trying to find if I have the latest stable build installed - but can't see the matching between the downloadable images (e.g. chronos-voyager-20200410.img.xz) and the build number displayed in the About screen (0.4.0-beta38), nor anything in the List Packages screen, nor in tags in Github. What's the trick? Thanks.

skronstein

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2020, 12:30:33 PM »
Trying to find if I have the latest stable build installed - but can't see the matching between the downloadable images (e.g. chronos-voyager-20200410.img.xz) and the build number displayed in the About screen (0.4.0-beta38), nor anything in the List Packages screen, nor in tags in Github. What's the trick? Thanks.
To check if you have the latest package, you have to tap Apply Software Update to start the software update tool, then tap Check for Updates in the tool. The button will be greyed out if there is no internet connection. If it finds any updates, it will ask you if you want to download and apply them.

beta38 is just the build of camApp, which is only the GUI.

mfloresdacunha

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2020, 04:51:17 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if this is something to do with Windows Firewall getting in the way of things.

My approach to debug this issue would be to SSH into the camera, and then run a ping command from the command line of the camera to see what occurs. Unfortunately there isn't a way to do this purely from the GUI. The command that I would run to test this would be ping DESKTOP-23CTSB5, which should show the resolution of DESKTOP-23CTSB5 into an IP address, plus responses from your Desktop.

Finally it works.

Hi,

What kind of speeds are you getting when saving to the SMB server?

Best regards!

rdemyan

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2020, 01:32:03 PM »
If I buy a Chronos 1.4 camera now and receive it in a month or so, will the "unstable" version still be available so I can film at 109,000 frames per second?  Also, it is critical that I have an exposure time of around 1 microsecond.  Can the exposure time be set to around 1 microsecond throughout the entire range from 1000 fps to 109,000 fps?

CS223

• 1.4 Color s/n 01266
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2020, 08:09:38 PM »
The shutter speed can be set regardless but the issue is the amount of light required. David said figure 7 Lux per FPS. I presume that’s at 360 deg shutter so even way more light at higher shutter speeds. As long as the file remains on github, you can use it. Download it now and save it in anticipation of getting a camera. I’ll check and confirm tomorrow.

rdemyan

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2020, 09:59:24 AM »
"The shutter speed can be set regardless but the issue is the amount of light required. David said figure 7 Lux per FPS. I presume that’s at 360 deg shutter so even way more light at higher shutter speeds. As long as the file remains on github, you can use it. Download it now and save it in anticipation of getting a camera. I’ll check and confirm tomorrow."

Thanks.  I reread this thread and it looks like the Voyager release on 3/31/2020 supports a minimum vertical height of 32.  I'm not sure, but I think that corresponds to a 109,000 fps when the horizontal is 320 or maybe it is 336.

hellfireh

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2020, 08:52:57 PM »
I updated my Chronos 1.4 to the 0.4.0 version of the software recently and i selected the most recent stable software package but when I start up the camera, the camera sometimes gets caught in a boot loop and sometimes it starts up just fine. Is this a problem other people are having?

MarcinS

• 3M
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2020, 11:25:47 PM »
I updated my Chronos 1.4 to the 0.4.0 version of the software recently and i selected the most recent stable software package but when I start up the camera, the camera sometimes gets caught in a boot loop and sometimes it starts up just fine. Is this a problem other people are having?

Check this topic: http://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=551.msg3363#msg3363 and reply by sanjay.

davto

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2020, 12:04:53 AM »
Hi, I just formatted the micro SD card that came with our 2.1 camera before making a backup of the calibration settings (because, apparently, I'm an idiot). Are these settings lost now? Are they stored on the micro SD card or on the camera itself? If the latter, can I retrieve them by flashing the firmware the camera came with (no idea which version number that is though) back onto the micro SD card, inserting it and exporting the calibration to a USB flash drive before flashing the newer version? Thanks in advance!