Author Topic: Chronos V0.4.0 Beta - Debian and Networking  (Read 75504 times)

nik282000

• View Profile
Re: Chronos V0.4.0 Beta - Debian and Networking
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2020, 07:48:42 PM »
try focusing a camera at 1280x96 to see how fun this can be

I usually set the camera to 128x128, focus then to back to the crazy aspect ratio. Just sayin.

foobar

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2020, 12:21:54 PM »
I haven't used the new UI in a while, but I think the new UI's network menu won't let you use it at all until you set a password on it. I believe it sets the root password for ssh for both the USB and ethernet connections.

There are 2 buttons beside the text box on the App & Internet access screen. Either enter your own password, or tap the button with the dice on it to generate a random password. The network accessible features should be displayed once you have a password and tap the button with the diagonal lines.

Thank you skronstein for your replay. I installed the software V0.4.0 Beta again without applying the new UI. I tried the instructions but it didn't work. Here is the error "Mount Failed: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.0.102/smb, missing codepage or helper program, or other error (for several file systems (e.g nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)". I think this is a problem with sharing files between Linux and windows.

Hardware Setup
  • My laptop is connected to the router through wireless network.
  • Chronos 1.4 is connected to the same router through the Ethernet cable.
My laptop is running Windows 10 Home. You can find my network sharing settings in images.
I thought that smb file location address might differ from the instructions file, so i tried these addresses but none of them works too.
In Mount tab:
  • smb
  • \\DESKTOP-23CTSB5\smb
  • \DESKTOP-23CTSB5\smb
  • DESKTOP-23CTSB5\smb
  • //DESKTOP-23CTSB5/smb
  • /DESKTOP-23CTSB5/smb
  • DESKTOP-23CTSB5/smb

Did i make something wrong?

Hi, just to follow up on this. The latest updates to the unstable branch should now have resolved some of the issues that we found in the SMB mounting code. In particular there were two bugs that you were likely running into. The first was that shares requiring a username and password were failing due to an error in the setting of the mount options, and the second was that cameras were missing some support packages that would enable name resolution. To get these fixes, you will need to ensure you have software build 0.4.0~beta38 or newer, as shown on the About tab of the Util window.

I have attached some screenshots of how I have configured my camera so that it is able to save footage to a Samba share on my Windows 10 PC. Note that the layout of the network settings window has changed slightly between voyager and unstable.

The first step is to share a folder on your windows 10 PC, and ensure that SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support is enabled. In this particular case, my username on this windows 10 PC is "Owen" and I am the owner of this share.

We can then configure the camera to use this share via the Network tab in the Util window, and then hit Apply to mount the share and make it permanent.

After this, the network share should appear in the Storage tab of the Util window when successfully mounted.

And it should be available as a storage device when saving video.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 12:30:18 PM by foobar »

foobar

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 07:11:49 PM »
We have pushed some updated software to the voyager software release, which should hopefully address some issues that you have reported, and improve the usability of the camera's software. You can access these changes using the Software Update tool found on the Storage tab of the Util window, and then downloading updates from the package repository.

Major Changes from chronos-voyager-20200302.img.xz to chronos-voyager-20200331.img.xz
  • Improve exposure slider latency by using a different RPC transport when adjusting exposure (JSON-RPC).
  • Report the last shutdown reason on the About tab of the Util window to help explain powerdown reasons.
  • Reduce minimum vertical resolution to 32 pixels on the Chronos 1.4
  • Fix math errors and improve error reporting in for auto white balance
  • Redesign the static IP address widgets on the Network tab of the util window
  • Enter recovery mode when both the record button and encoder wheel are pressed at boot.
  • Fix errors in SMB mounting options when share is specified with a NetBIOS name, or a password is required
  • Support for FUSE filesystems
  • Significant changes and improvements to the HTTP user interface (we now consider this ready for use).

Full changelog for updated software

chronos-control: 0.4.0~beta29 -> 0.4.0~beta50
python3-pychronos: 0.4.0~beta29 -> 0.4.0~beta50
  • externalStorage: Remove disk usage information.
  • Fix introspection for inherity property setters.
  • startRecording: fix string->enum parsing error.
  • Documentation and cleanup.
  • Fix rollover in auto white balance.
  • Added property for getting PMIC firmware version.
  • Added default reason code to lastShutdownReason constructor.
  • Implemented ability to get last shutdown reason.
  • Add Calls for video state changes, parse parameter docstrings.
  • lux1310: Use the minimum of 64 and vRes rows during ADC cal.
  • Add missing types.py from last commit.
  • Move enums into types.py add TallyModes enum.
  • Remove type annotations from parameter docstrings.
  • Fixup some API method documentation.
  • Add API call to configure video playback modes.
  • startFilesave: Generate filenames if given an empty string.
  • lux1310: Retry the reset if chip detection fails.
  • JSON-RPC: Fix exception when processing unkown method.
  • JSON-RPC: Fix bug causing all responses to be batched.
  • lux1310: Cache gain and wavetable to improve latency.
  • Add JSON-RPC bindings to camControl.

chronos-gui: 0.4.0~beta20 -> 0.4.0~beta38
chronos-update: 0.4.0~beta20 -> 0.4.0~beta38
  • Samba: Add dependency on cifs-utils
  • Util window: Use rich text to make IP addresses bold.
  • samba: Fix error in SMB mount options
  • camUpdate: Use encoder wheel to navigate the UI.
  • camUpdate: Fix parsing bug when counting packages.
  • camUpdate: Fail gracefully if network is down.
  • camUpdate: Enable service when in rescue mode.
  • camUpdate: Bring up eth0 when in rescue mode.
  • Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/krontech/chronos-cam-app
  • Added messages on completion of cal data export/import.
  • API cleanup and dead code removal.
  • About: Added label for PMIC firmware version
  • About: Added last shutdown reason string
  • Add PNG graphic to frame preview.
  • Include package download in progress bar motion.
  • Convert static IP address widget to use nmcli.
  • Update focus peaking on API notifies.
  • Use JSON-RPC to update the exposure slider.

chronos-http: 0.4.0~beta17 -> 0.4.0~beta54
  • Disabled buttons and menu items that don't do anything right now for release to users
  • Added step sizes to the offset values in the resolution box. Technically, any vertical offset will
        be accepted, but that throws the colors off. Also, the horizontal offset snaps to the next-lowest
        value in increments of 16, so often it is not exactly centered, but this is a compromize so that
        the calculation to center it is easier; once the apply button is pressed, it snaps itself to an
        acceptable value.
  • Changed sliders and number inputs to be more responsive This includes changing the start / end
        frames while dragging the timeline / start marker / end marker around Also now support scrolling /
        quickly typing / using the up/down arrow keys inside number input fields
  • Made sliders and numeric inputs continuously updatable The checks and communication with the camera
        are done while the number is changing. To prevent this from sending too many requests, a new
        request can only be sent once a previous one has returned.
  • Fixed the offset and centering calculations to work with different sensors I was just using
        hard-coded constants for the horizontal and vertical resolutions before, and then I forgot about
        them. Now, I've replaced the constants with values that come from the camera itself.
  • Started adding pop-up / overlay messages Pop-up / overlay messages are needed to give the user a
        chance to save their footage if they forgot to save it, to give the user some information, and to
        notify the user if the camera is unreachable. I have started to add the capabilities for these
        messages, but they are not implemented yet.
  • Cleaned up some timing, themes, sizes, etc.
  • Added transparent / no border property for :-moz-range-track so sliders look right in firefox
  • Added some limiters for number inputs so that they can't go outside of the min / max values
  • Detect when using Edge / IE and use different style-sheet and change "onchange" to "onmouseup" for
        sliders
  • Made the 'onchange' property get replaced by 'onmouseup' when using Internet Explorer so that it
        doesn't overload the camera and cause the webserver to fail
  • Fixed record / play bar height differences across browsers
  • Worked on cross-browser compatibility (IE, & Edge mostly, some Safari) Did a lot of re-styling of
        the sliders and other elements to fit and work properly Also added some additional checks and fixes
        so that the javascript runs on all browsers
  • Added support for browsers that don't do server sent events Also updated the menu behaviour and
        fixed its z-index Tried to add slider styling changes for Microsoft browsers
  • Moved the colors into separate theme files and adjusted the colors to match the themes Also added
        control for the video state (play mode vs record mode/live display) to navigation menu dropdown
  • Changed the font source The fonts are now stored on the camera so it should show up correctly no
        matter whether or not the user has an internet connection.
  • Adjusted spacing, styling, font position, and look on different browsers
  • Started to split styling out into css files Also fixed the timeline sliders on chrome
  • Adjusted functionality, behaviour, and look of Play&Save screen Dynamic sizing (screen width) has
        been set, and some of the blocks resize so that they look nicer at certain screen sizes.
        Downloading from the camera now works for image files that are in folders.
  • Added play&save screen functions like save to and download from camera More advanced settings can
        be configured for the filesave (bitrate, fps) The current frame, starting frame, ending frame, and
        length of clip can be manually entered
  • Added feature to download videos from the camera Added some number fields in a few places, but they
        don't do anything yet. Split the "Save Video" block up; the "Storage Device" dialog is now its own
        block. I also  made the "play" button switch the video system into playback mode if it's in record
        mode, though that may have been undocumented in a previous commit.
  • apidoc: Refresh parameters when clicked.
  • Rename startAutoWhiteBalance to startWhiteBalance
  • Add Krontech logo to the API documentation
  • Move parameter value column to an collapseable button.
  • apidoc: Use parsed docstrings for params, add method dropdown.
  • Added timeline, start frame, end frame control and it now saves according to those settings
  • Fixed icon active colors
  • Added a catch for non-usable resolutions so that different sensors can be used
  • Added start and end frame sliders and a fill between them
  • Added new 'Play and Save' screen. I also added links to go betwen the main screen (record screen)
        and the play/save screen in the top navigation bar.
  • Made page layout responsive Made things look nice across various screen sizes. Also made some
        changes to some of the spacing.
  • Save files, display save progress, display whitebalance overlay, display video state
  • got rid of the need for the 'screenShots' folder and its contents
  • Added a folder for writing the screenshot(s) to
  • Added a lock to accessing the screenshot, and changed the permissions of the file
  • Fixed icon highlight color problem. Also adjusted some sizing

chronos-pwrutil: 0.4.0~beta14 -> 0.4.0~beta50
chronos-tools: 0.4.0~beta14 -> 0.4.0~beta50
chronos-video: 0.4.0~beta14 -> 0.4.0~beta50
  • scgi: Set Cache-control: no-cache in the response headers.
  • Fixup SCGI cross-origin request handling.
  • Disarm PMIC watchdog in rescue mode.
  • pcUtil: Add timeout to rxDataReceive()
  • Add support for automounting FUSE filesystems
  • Updated PMIC firmware to v9, modified pmic debian service.
  • Add dependency on alsa-utils for audio mux control.
  • neoncrop: Add explicit cache flush after transform.
  • Fix D-Bus types reported for G_TYPE_DOUBLES.
  • Add crop/padding to source video frame.
  • gstneoncrop: Add passthrough mode and flip support.
  • Added special format string to assembly statement.
  • Updated PMIC firmware file to version 8.
  • Merge branch 'master' of https://github.com/krontech/chronos-cli
  • Implemented ability to query PMIC's last shutdown reason.
  • Add an experimental Gstreamer NEON/crop element.
  • Return to the previous state at the end of a filesave.
  • cam-json: Add mode to make API calls using JSON-RPC instead.
  • Merge branch 'liveRecordDev'

u-boot-ti81xx: 0.3.5-201006psp4.4.0.1 -> 0.3.6-201006psp4.4.0.1
  • Boot into systemd recsue mode when recovery mode is detected.

ieSe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2020, 06:48:32 AM »
I haven't used the new UI in a while, but I think the new UI's network menu won't let you use it at all until you set a password on it. I believe it sets the root password for ssh for both the USB and ethernet connections.

There are 2 buttons beside the text box on the App & Internet access screen. Either enter your own password, or tap the button with the dice on it to generate a random password. The network accessible features should be displayed once you have a password and tap the button with the diagonal lines.

Thank you skronstein for your replay. I installed the software V0.4.0 Beta again without applying the new UI. I tried the instructions but it didn't work. Here is the error "Mount Failed: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //192.168.0.102/smb, missing codepage or helper program, or other error (for several file systems (e.g nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program)". I think this is a problem with sharing files between Linux and windows.

Hardware Setup
  • My laptop is connected to the router through wireless network.
  • Chronos 1.4 is connected to the same router through the Ethernet cable.
My laptop is running Windows 10 Home. You can find my network sharing settings in images.
I thought that smb file location address might differ from the instructions file, so i tried these addresses but none of them works too.
In Mount tab:
  • smb
  • \\DESKTOP-23CTSB5\smb
  • \DESKTOP-23CTSB5\smb
  • DESKTOP-23CTSB5\smb
  • //DESKTOP-23CTSB5/smb
  • /DESKTOP-23CTSB5/smb
  • DESKTOP-23CTSB5/smb

Did i make something wrong?

Hi, just to follow up on this. The latest updates to the unstable branch should now have resolved some of the issues that we found in the SMB mounting code. In particular there were two bugs that you were likely running into. The first was that shares requiring a username and password were failing due to an error in the setting of the mount options, and the second was that cameras were missing some support packages that would enable name resolution. To get these fixes, you will need to ensure you have software build 0.4.0~beta38 or newer, as shown on the About tab of the Util window.

I have attached some screenshots of how I have configured my camera so that it is able to save footage to a Samba share on my Windows 10 PC. Note that the layout of the network settings window has changed slightly between voyager and unstable.

The first step is to share a folder on your windows 10 PC, and ensure that SMB 1.0/CIFS file sharing support is enabled. In this particular case, my username on this windows 10 PC is "Owen" and I am the owner of this share.

We can then configure the camera to use this share via the Network tab in the Util window, and then hit Apply to mount the share and make it permanent.

After this, the network share should appear in the Storage tab of the Util window when successfully mounted.

And it should be available as a storage device when saving video.

Hi, I installed chronos-unstable-20200328.img and also chronos-voyager-20200331.img, but i got the same error 'DESKTOP-23CTSB5 is not reachable!'. Here are my steps to configure the smb file:
  • For Windows:
    • control panel -> programs -> Turn windows features on and off -> check all boxes for SMB 1.0/ CIFS
    • Make new folder "smb" in drive c:\ -> right click on it -> choose "sharing" tab -> click on share -> choose owner -> click share
    • to get my username correctly I opened cmd -> type (echo %username%) then enter

• For Chronos 1.4
    • MSB Share: (//DESKTOP-23CTSB5/smb)
    • Username : I typed the username that i got from step 3 in Windows steps
    • Password  : I typed the Password, that i use to login in to my laptop

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2020, 07:40:45 AM »
the update sounds awesome, I will test it sometime later this week!

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2020, 07:53:05 AM »
I am a bit confused - are the described changes in the "standard" GUI also availabel or only in the "new" GUI, which is no longer being developed.

BTW I have the same problem like ieSe - I tried to setup smb like in the description and get the report 'DESKTOP-XXXXX is not reachable!'

foobar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2020, 11:29:38 AM »
I am a bit confused - are the described changes in the "standard" GUI also availabel or only in the "new" GUI, which is no longer being developed.

BTW I have the same problem like ieSe - I tried to setup smb like in the description and get the report 'DESKTOP-XXXXX is not reachable!'

These changes are in the standard GUI, there have been no changes made to the "new" GUI since the last build on 20200302.

foobar

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2020, 11:43:42 AM »
Hi, I installed chronos-unstable-20200328.img and also chronos-voyager-20200331.img, but i got the same error 'DESKTOP-23CTSB5 is not reachable!'. Here are my steps to configure the smb file:
  • For Windows:
    • control panel -> programs -> Turn windows features on and off -> check all boxes for SMB 1.0/ CIFS
    • Make new folder "smb" in drive c:\ -> right click on it -> choose "sharing" tab -> click on share -> choose owner -> click share
    • to get my username correctly I opened cmd -> type (echo %username%) then enter

• For Chronos 1.4
    • MSB Share: (//DESKTOP-23CTSB5/smb)
    • Username : I typed the username that i got from step 3 in Windows steps
    • Password  : I typed the Password, that i use to login in to my laptop

When attempting to mount a Samba share, the camera will first test network connectivity to the server for the share (your Desktop in this case) and it does so by sending an ICMP ping, when you receive an error message stating the at the destination "is not reachable" it means that this ping has failed.

Further down on the network tab, in the Network Status box, you should see the status of the camera's Ethernet interface. Can you verify that the camera has an IPv4 address, and that your windows desktop is able to ping the camera? In the screenshots that I posted, my camera has an IPv4 address of 192.168.1.208

ieSe

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2020, 04:28:02 PM »

When attempting to mount a Samba share, the camera will first test network connectivity to the server for the share (your Desktop in this case) and it does so by sending an ICMP ping, when you receive an error message stating the at the destination "is not reachable" it means that this ping has failed.

Further down on the network tab, in the Network Status box, you should see the status of the camera's Ethernet interface. Can you verify that the camera has an IPv4 address, and that your windows desktop is able to ping the camera? In the screenshots that I posted, my camera has an IPv4 address of 192.168.1.208

Hi, the cam has an IPv4 address and I'm able to pig the cam from my laptop.

foobar

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2020, 04:46:48 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if this is something to do with Windows Firewall getting in the way of things.

My approach to debug this issue would be to SSH into the camera, and then run a ping command from the command line of the camera to see what occurs. Unfortunately there isn't a way to do this purely from the GUI. The command that I would run to test this would be ping DESKTOP-23CTSB5, which should show the resolution of DESKTOP-23CTSB5 into an IP address, plus responses from your Desktop.

ieSe

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2020, 06:36:56 PM »
Hmm, I wonder if this is something to do with Windows Firewall getting in the way of things.

My approach to debug this issue would be to SSH into the camera, and then run a ping command from the command line of the camera to see what occurs. Unfortunately there isn't a way to do this purely from the GUI. The command that I would run to test this would be ping DESKTOP-23CTSB5, which should show the resolution of DESKTOP-23CTSB5 into an IP address, plus responses from your Desktop.

Finally it works.

My laptop is running windows 10 and is connected to the router through wireless network and the camera is connected to the same router through Ethernet cable. Here is my configurations

On Laptop or PC:
  • Create smb file
    • Go to C:\ drive and make new folder and name it for example "smb".
    • Right click on the created folder then choose properties
    • Choose sharing tab then choose share
    • Choose Owner and then click share

• Disable Firewall:
    • Press Start and type firewall the click on Firewall & Network protection
    • Choose Private network then turn off Windows Defender Firewall
    see screenshots Firewall1.PNG and Firewall2.PNG

• Network Discovery:
      • Press Start and type control panel
      • Click on Network and Internet then click on Network and Sharing Center
      • On the top left  click on change advanced sharing settings
      • In Private (current profile) choose turn on network discovery
    see screenshots Network_Discover1.PNG and Network_Discover.PNG

Before going to the camera you should know your username and your Laptop or PC IP address. To do this:
    • Press start and type cmd and open command prompt
    • To get your username type in command prompt (echo %username%) and press enter
    • To get your IP address type in command prompt (ipconfig) and press enter
    see screenshot IP_Address.PNG

On Chronos:
  • SMB Share: type your IP address /smb. For Example //192.168.0.101/smb
  • Username : type your username that you got from command prompt.
  • Password  : type your password.
  • Then press apply and test
see screenshots Apply.jpeg and Test.jpeg

Software Bugs:
  • Ethernet cable must be unplugged before turning on the cam. Otherwise you will get a black screen after the appearing of Chronos logo.
[/list]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 05:26:01 PM by ieSe »

CS223

• 1.4 Color s/n 01266
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2020, 08:44:28 AM »
Stupid question: Can you keep various versions each on their own uSD card and just swap them around? For example to use the 40k FPS mode in version V0.3.2 then swap the card for V0.4.0 to try the various new features?

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2020, 12:05:56 PM »
Stupid question: Can you keep various versions each on their own uSD card and just swap them around? For example to use the 40k FPS mode in version V0.3.2 then swap the card for V0.4.0 to try the various new features?
Yes, this is possible, just like swapping SD cards in a Raspberry Pi ;D

skronstein

• Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2020, 02:14:29 PM »
If you upgrade to 0.4, then go back to an older version, you might not see the battery's status when using that older version, but it should work fine otherwise. It should work again once you return to 0.4.

lwaters

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2020, 11:59:34 AM »
I'm sorry, I've gotten lost in this thread. Can someone clear this up for me? Is there a new update to the 1.4 and/or 2.1 that is stable? I have one of both but i'm hesitant to try to change anything on them as we are in the middle of things that are difficult to set up/tear down. The last time I was able to simply plug the camera in with an ethernet cable and download the update. Is this different now?
Thank you,
Laura