Author Topic: 1.4 Boot problem  (Read 17706 times)

John Delonghi

• View Profile
1.4 Boot problem
« on: May 12, 2020, 08:40:52 AM »
I have two 1.4 cameras here and one is very unreliable at booting up. This only started happening as I went to use it again after a long period of being stored away.

Maybe 1 time in 10 it will turn on, the rest of the time the fan comes in initially, the display flashes a couple of times then the menu appears for a few seconds and it powers off.

The other one also behaves in the same way periodically but it's nowhere near as bad as the other.

What can be going wrong and what can I check?
Both are on the latest firmware. Batteries are OK.

CS223

• 1.4 Color s/n 01266
    • View Profile
Re: 1.4 Boot problem
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 11:43:05 AM »
Did you try a hard power down? I had the same thing happen when I updated the firmware. Power down holding the button for 4 seconds or longer then power up.

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 01:30:08 PM »
Does the power LED flash red just before the camera turns itself off? This indicates the PMIC watchdog thinks the main CPU has crashed, and is about to power it down. You might try reflashing the OS card with the latest software, as seen here

ExperimentalPerception

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 09:45:30 PM »
My 1.4 does the same thing. I have to boot it 2-3 times before it will bring up the on screen menu. I have not upgraded to the new OS yet.

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 02:35:12 AM »
Does the power LED flash red just before the camera turns itself off? This indicates the PMIC watchdog thinks the main CPU has crashed, and is about to power it down. You might try reflashing the OS card with the latest software, as seen here

Yes the LED was flashing at some point before powering itself off, but I've come back to it this morning and now it's booting up fine!

Odd behaviour.

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 02:54:27 PM »
On my Chronos 2.1 this happens too sometimes. When things go bad, I have to restart the camera 5 or 6 times before it starts up. I am always running the newest "unstable" development releases.

hsmore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 10:57:58 PM »
I only got my 1.4 a few days ago.  But, mine does the same type of thing.  So far, my "fall-back"
plan is to hit the RED record button on the top of the camera as soon as the display screen shows up.
Somehow this makes it "stay awake" instead of powering right back down all by itself.....

Bian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 11:37:56 PM »
Sometimes I have the same problem. At one day it needs several boot operations - at the other day it works without problems....

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 10:33:49 AM »
Quick question for everyone that this is happening to: Does it happen on Battery, AC, or AC + Battery?

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 10:40:29 AM »
external power or internal battery

sanjay

• Krontech
  • Krontech
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 11:08:04 AM »
Another thing that would help me out here: If you have software version 0.4.0, you should see a "Last Shutdown Reason" readout in the Util -> About section.

I had implemented this in mid-march to help track down the shutdown issue in the field, since it's been hard for us to replicate here in the office. On the first successful boot after a failed attempt, the software will have captured flags from the power manager and put them in this screen. It would be very helpful to know what this says the next time the issue is encountered.

hsmore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 09:40:29 PM »
Quick question for everyone that this is happening to: Does it happen on Battery, AC, or AC + Battery?
It happens when plugged directly into the AC-socket of my wall (with battery also inside camera).  It happens with battery+AC.  It
happens with just-battery.
I have not tried it without the battery inside the camera.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:42:41 PM by hsmore »

hsmore

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 10:20:39 PM »
I only got my 1.4 a few days ago.  But, mine does the same type of thing.  So far, my "fall-back"
plan is to hit the RED record button on the top of the camera as soon as the display screen shows up.
Somehow this makes it "stay awake" instead of powering right back down all by itself.....
Well, that above method did not work consistently.  Boy-oh-boy, if you get that sucker to
turn on, you better leave it on for the rest of the day until you are completely finished
with your tests.  I honestly thought at one point that I had made the three-hour trip for
NOTHING and was going to have to go home empty-handed.

JeffNickel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 05:13:00 PM »
I'm suffering the same intermittent boot up issue, very frustrating.  I am using 1.4 V4.0 is it possible to go back to previous firmware?  I do not need USB control but I do need my camera to turn on!

JeffNickel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2020, 05:14:50 PM »
I also have a negative ghost image on my screen from a previous recording.  Only way to remove it is to reboot!  Hope it boots up again!