Author Topic: What is the sensor size of the 1.4 Monochrome version?  (Read 5780 times)

rdemyan

• View Profile
What is the sensor size of the 1.4 Monochrome version?
« on: July 14, 2020, 08:28:01 PM »
What is the sensor size of the 1.4 Monochrome version?

NiNeff

• View Profile
Re: What is the sensor size of the 1.4 Monochrome version?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 09:49:53 AM »
There's no size difference between the color and monochrome versions as far as I know.
The Datasheet says the dimensions are 8.45 x 6.76mm.

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 10:46:30 AM »
only difference is a layer of color filters above each inividual Pixel, to allow the Camera to "see" different colors, and software of course, so the camera knows which of both Sensors it has, so it could convert it into an color or monochrome Image.
 Otherwise the Sensor ist absolutely identical.
 The Filter Array for the colors will cause less light to pass throug to the Sensor itself, thats why the Monochrome Version is more Light Sensitive.
 More info about the so Called "Bayer-Sensor Array" here:
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayer_filter

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 11:01:09 AM »
https://petapixel.com/2013/08/04/scratching-the-color-filter-array-layer-off-a-dslr-sensor-for-sharper-bw-photos/
 There are some pretty crazy Astro-Photography people that will do rather extreme Modding to Camera bodies to improve their results. For example Extreme Cooling solutions for the Sensor or removing the Color filter Array to get less noise or more Light Sensitivity.
 While i would for sure not reccomend doing something like this to an chronos Camera (because, especially as a complete beginner, you are almost guranteed to destroy a bunch of sensors bevore you get a succesfull removal, and its not like Chronos Cameras where cheap or something (unless you are rich and do it for kicks...?), also, if you wanted, you just could buy one without CFA, also known as Monochrome Version in the first place and save you a lot of trouble...), if done perfectly you will get an camera identical to the monochrome Version (of the same model of course) if you for whatever reason did this to a Color Chronos, 1.4 or 2.1, doesnt matter. (You will need to put a Monochrome Firmware on the Camera thought, otherwise i assume the display would do funny things, and image output would also look strange propably, because it still tries to make Color images, with an Monochrome Sensor.... or just use Raw and do the Debayering yourself, and tell the Software, that your sensor is Monochrome that way. Software like PIPP should work well for that, thats what i use for stuff like that.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:03:16 AM by Nikon1 »