Author Topic: Static IP Address  (Read 5364 times)

rdemyan

• View Profile
Static IP Address
« on: July 25, 2020, 08:02:49 AM »
I just received the 1.4 and am playing around with various aspects.  I would like to be able to use the web interface, however, out in the field I will not have an internet connection.

I thought that simply plugging the camera into the network connector of my computer would bring up the web page (after entering an IP address).  However, unlike a router, the IP address provided for the mini USB connection does not work when using a network cable.  Would assigning a static IP address solve this problem?  If so, how does one do that?

Also, has anyone run into the problem of attaching the camera to a computer running Windows 10 via a mini-USB causes Windows 10 to crash.  This has happened five times.  After Windows 10 restarts, the camera can be seen on the web page and operated from there.  However, if the connection is lost or a thumb drive plugged into the camera, Windows immediately crashes again.

With a network cable plugged into a router CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, there are no crashes and the webpage readily comes up and is connected to the camera.  But I won't have an internet connection in the field.

Thanks for any help.

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: Static IP Address
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 08:07:15 AM »
Have you tried any kind of ethernet switch without an internet connection?
  I am no network expert, but as far as i am aware, most Computers need an Switch or router in between the Both that try to connect. Direct Port-to-Port connections via Ethernet are Possible on some Specialized devices but not that common on normal Consumer Hardware. So i guess you need at least some Kind of Switch between the Camera and Computer.

rdemyan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 08:20:25 AM »
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

While I am pleasantly surprised at how quickly I was able to start recording video, I am equally dismayed by my inability to save recordings.  I have tried everything I can think of, but nothing works.  Unfortunately, I misplaced the SD card that comes with the camera.  However, I have tried to connect a hard drive and also tried a thumb drive.  The camera recognizes that the drives are attached, but always throws up an error message when I try to save.  When using the camera interface to save, the message is almost always "Save Folder does not exist".  When I've been able to use the web page, either nothing happens after clicking "Save", when a hard drive is attached, or the message is "Recording failed. Read-only file system", when a thumb drive is attached.

I also tried inserting the SD card from my Nikon camera, but the Chronos does not recognize that it is inserted.

rdemyan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »
I tried using a switch.  As expected, it works if there is an internet connection. Once the Chronos has an assigned IP address, the internet connection can be removed and the webpage on the computer still works.

However, if the router or camera is turned off or if the network cable from camera to router is removed, then the camera IP address is lost and the webpage does not recognize the camera.

Would assigning a static IP address solve this issue?

rdemyan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 10:26:40 AM »
I was able to solve the immediate problem of not being able to save recordings.  I found the misplaced SD card and inserted it into the 1.4 camera.  I then formatted it and the camera was able to save to the card.  I guess any other storage device that has already been formatted (even if that format is FAT32 or the other supported formats) will not work.  Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in and provide more information on this topic.

With regards to running the web based GUI without an internet connection, I was not able to do this.  I did try using a network switch which did help if and only if the switch also had an active internet connection.  I think I was able to assign a static IP address, but that too did not work unless there was an active internet connection.  The only time I could bring up the web page and have the web page recognize the camera was when the switch also had an active internet connection.  Again, hopefully someone has more information on this as I was hoping to control the camera using the web page but without an active internet connection.