Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

How does the Color Matrix work?

(1/2) > >>

Nikon1:
Has anyone some Experience with the Color matrix inside the Chronos White Balance menu?
 I kind of found out how it works, that it basically is a RGB to RGB Remapping Lookuptable for the Sensor data. The only thing i can find about it is some Asian App, which aparently uses the Same concept, but actually has Sliders to mess around with Contrast, Saturation and Exposure, which the Chronos lacks, and setting this Look-Up-Table/ Color Matrix by trial and error is not just frustrating and very time Consuming, but almost impossible to do propperly without messing something about your colors up from what i done with them untill now.
 So my question is, has anyone done something with the Matrix yet and any tips/ tricks, or is there Any further documentaition on the Topic?
 Also, is it planed to add an slider /value Box for Contrast/ Saturation/ Exposure? Shouldnt be that hard to add, but would make this Color matrix actually useable.
 and, is there any way to save multiple Color Profiles/ Name them? also havnt figured that one out yet. Allways resetting the one over and over by hand seems kind of annoying....

Nikon1:
So i found this, and thats about it for color Matrix stuff.
 Adding Sliders to More easily adjust Brightness, Saturation and Contrast would allready help a ton. If you can find a Way to add more easy control over the Colors, even better.

lwaters:
I would also love to know more information on the Custom Color Matrix...I am really struggling to get a pure white balance and would love to be able to understand anything about it.

Nikon1:
Do you use the Internal Monitor or an External one?
 Just from my personal experience the internal Monitor is mostly "good enough" to set your frame up and pull focus when using Digital Zoom Feature.
 But i found that i did really struggle with proper Exposure until i was able to have a Histogram on my External Monitor at all times.
 Exposure is just somewhat hard to judge on the Built-In Screen if you are going for the Best footage the Camera can Capture, also Color looks off on the Internal Screen. Not by a ton, but just enough that someone who doesn't know a lot about color would even notice. And i absolutely trust my SmallHD 502 Bright over the Built-in Screen regards Colors and such.
 So if you rely on the Internal Screen only For White Balance or color settings you maybe have a hard time, indeed.  Now i also Usually only shoot in Daylight /with Daylight LEDs with good color or Tungsten Lamps, and for that the Presets usually work fine for me. Have to say, that i also try to Save as DNG if Quality of the Footage is of concern, so even if i don't hit it perfectly or just dislike how it looks, i can just go and adjust it in post.
 If you save in H.264 However, you have to be a bit more careful, if i have to do that, i would usually use the Custom Color Matrix and set it to:
 1    0     0
 0    1     0
 0    0     1
 This will give you a very Flat, desaturated color profile and usually allow for a wider range of options in Grading the Footage Later. Make sure to get the White Balance right however, as you cant really change that easily later if you are way off when working in H.264.  .

lwaters:
You're absolutely right, I find myself underexposing often. Even when I am pushing to where I am seeing zebra lines and backing off slightly, it still doesn't seem right. I don't have an external monitor for it (yet). When you're adjusting exposure with your monitor, what are you basing your correct exposure off of? Or how are you obtaining proper exposure?

I'm still on this color correcting adventure and have been attempting to calibrate using an xrite passport II but can't seem to get it to where our numbers match up to their given color checker hue values (even after running it through the xrite color calibration software). I just want to make sure we are balancing correctly, it is of the essence for this project we're working on.

Xrite's customer service has been dismal. Would you happen to have any advice?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version