Author Topic: Best Save-As frame rate?  (Read 10579 times)

jasonfish

• View Profile
Best Save-As frame rate?
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:04:22 PM »
Was watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71t_MCJ2_XI and realized that saving at 60fps (the Chronos default) might not be the best option. Do we actually want to save a 1000fps shot at 1000fps and slow it down in post? Save at 30fps (which removes the ability to speed it up later)? Or is 60fps some sort of happy medium? Still learning, be gentle. :)

Electra

• View Profile
Re: Best Save-As frame rate?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:47:49 AM »
Mostly, it doesn't matter. There are utilities in other threads to change the frame-rate as it's 'just a number'.  (1000frames per second record is still 1000 frames, regardless of if you play back at 30 or 60fps, just at 30fps it's twice as slow than at 60).  Your final framerate of your edited video is what will set the actual speed.
I tend to save and edit in 30fps just to make the footage last longer and because I can't tell the difference, plus speeding up or slowing down is easy to do in the editor and I record everything at that.
However experienced youtubers who have experience may have a different view because of something I just haven't encountered yet.

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 03:42:50 AM »
Usually it's easier to speed it up than to slow it down later.

I'll also use 30 fps most of the time; and The Slow Mo Guys generally play theirs videos at 25 fps to have the maximum hi-speed/slow speed ratio and so have the best resolution possible (for example 2000 fps played at 30 fps will be seen as the same speed than 4000 fps played at 60 fps but you'll have a far higher resolution at 2000 fps, and you'll need less light too).

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 09:10:41 PM »
As someone who uses freeware video editors, I can say that some will puke on 60 fps, but work fine at 30 fps. Why? I have no idea. I'm not a programmer.

The last time I actually tried this was several years ago, so it may no longer be true now. I plan on saving at 30 FPS.

ExaltedDuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:10:43 PM »
NoDak, re: freeware video editors:  I haven't had problems with OpenShot and 60 fps.  That's not to say I haven't had other problems with OpenShot, though (namely, losing about 10-15 frames at the end of rendered videos and some major stability problems while editing on the version in my OS distro's repository... win32 version seems to be more up to date fwiw).  I would really like to explore other apps, though. 

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 10:30:38 PM »
NoDak, re: freeware video editors:  I haven't had problems with OpenShot and 60 fps.  That's not to say I haven't had other problems with OpenShot, though (namely, losing about 10-15 frames at the end of rendered videos and some major stability problems while editing on the version in my OS distro's repository... win32 version seems to be more up to date fwiw).  I would really like to explore other apps, though.

Yea, it was years ago that I tried and had problems with it. You're talking to someone who uses Windows Movie Maker and is completely content with it. So I don't exactly have high standards beyond "Can the camera record at the resolution and framerate I want." ::)

I've heard people defend 60 fps as better than 30 fps, complete with animations and such comparing the two, and I just can't tell the difference between 30 and 60. I can fool myself into thinking there is one if I stare at it long enough, but I walk away for 10 minutes and I'm back wondering where the difference is. So I'll just save in 30 and then speed up or slow down as needed in Movie Maker.

nik282000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »
I may be attributing qualities that aren't really there but I seem to have less failed saves (to my sketchy storage) when I use lower Save-As frame rates. At 60fps I seemed to have significantly more problems than at 30fps.