Author Topic: Improving the Jog Wheel, ideas.  (Read 274 times)

Electra

• View Profile
Re: Improving the Jog Wheel, ideas.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 03:06:32 AM »
I'd be happy with a simple 'click to change between fast and slow jog' however if you want to be more fancy, implement 'acceleration'.

Turn the knob fast. It moves a lot. Give it a flick and it may jump several thousands of frames. Turn the knob slow, it advances a single frame at time.
No need to select how many big you want your jump to be. I know a number of DSOs impliment theis on their control knobs and it's extremely intuitive to
use to the point where you only notice it when it's missing.
Edit: 'velocity control' is another name for this.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:32:11 AM by Electra »

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 04:26:14 AM »
The problem is that if it's not perfectly implemented and tuned it's a nightmare to use, but I have no doubts on the skills of David so I guess it's a good idea :)

Electra

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 05:36:47 AM »
Depending on the final feature set, 'velocity control on/off' could be a UI option, and on the same page allow the user to pick their 'fast' and 'slow' fixed amount if they wish?
I know I'm likely to find having to press the button, select my 'speed' then advance and then click to change it and advance closer each time to be quite annoying. However if velocity control turns out to be hated or hard to implement, I could likely adapt and live with it.

thebishop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 08:35:45 AM »
I loved velocity control with my original iPod's, but the prerequisite is a control wheel that allow fine motor control (like the oversize iPod jog wheel) - not sure it would translate that well to the small knob on the Chronos, but worth trying out too...

jasonfish

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 10:01:24 AM »
In the end, it's actually quite good the way it is. Slide the slider, adjust the play speed, L and R arrows, adjust play speed again, roll dial back and forth. I'd be fine if it didn't change, but the "click to toggle through roll speeds" idea could be cool.