Author Topic: Focus Aid  (Read 10202 times)

ptrautne

• View Profile
Focus Aid
« on: September 14, 2017, 06:07:15 PM »
I saw in the manual that there is a focus aid that will zoom in to aid in focusing. I could not find that feature but only focus peaking, is it coming in a future update?

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
Re: Focus Aid
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 09:45:59 PM »
The zoom function was in the very early prototype cameras, and was switched out for focus peaking. An option for zoom will be back in the next update.

ptrautne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:46:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply, do you know when the HDMI would be activated also? I like using a external video monitor which have very good peaking ability and zoom feature for focus assist.

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 04:21:32 PM »
HDMI support will be a welcome addition. It will be so much easier to take video by oneself when you can have a remote monitor to look at and see if what you want is in frame. That is a significant problem with my current camera.

The one "bummer" moment for me was finding that the camera had HDMI but no NTSC/PAL output option. There are adapters though that one can rig up to convert so you can have a remote monitor some distance away. I'll make it work once the HDMI function is enabled.

Just curious about the function you describe. Is it a software zoom of sorts?

I do CCTV cameras for a living, so I'm used to focusing cameras on my homemade 2" monitor setup with whatever happens to be visible.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 12:51:28 AM »
An option for zoom will be back in the next update.

Was the option in the last update? I didn't find it, but it would help me a lot. Most of the time I film in low light conditions, so I always have the lens set to the fastest f stop. Focus highlighting doesn't work reliably in these conditions, and the resolution of the internal screen is too low to sucessfully eyeballing focus, especially with very short focus depth.

BiduleOhm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 03:47:21 AM »
I found a focus chart helps a lot, you just adjust the focus until the gray circle is the smallest possible (the less blur you have the less the lines are mixing with each other (making some gray color) so as the lines are finer and finer towards the center it forms a circle which is the smallest when the focus is best) so even with low light and a small screen you can do a pretty good job very fast.

Fyodor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 04:07:30 AM »
Good idea, thanks! I'll give that a try.