Author Topic: Segmented buffer?  (Read 8433 times)

jasonfish

• View Profile
Segmented buffer?
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:32:22 PM »
Thinking aloud... User option to split buffer in half (two 4-second buffers, for example)

1) Shoot video to bufferA (invisible to user), Play, Mark in/out, Save
    UI returns to record screen
2) Immediately shoot video to bufferB, Play, Mark in/out, Save
3) Shoot again to bufferA, which has since emptied

The user would be able to shoot new (shorter) videos almost constantly, assuming s/he had chosen the Split Buffer option. This would all be transparent to the user, unless bufferA or B was yet unfinished with its save (gray out the Record button, with countdown or nnn% ?)

Electra

• View Profile
Re: Segmented buffer?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:26:48 PM »
I got the impression that segmented memory was a planned feature and I believe it was going to operate like that, or something close.
Better still could be a more sophisticated version..

Mark in/out hit save and only /that/ segment is notched out of the buffer.  So if you mark out 2 seconds, then you'd get record time minus 2 seconds.
Depending on implementation, this could be done a few times, up to say, 4 times. With each marked-and-saved segment queued for saving in the background.
(Memory would be freed up each time you hit record. So you wouldn't get it back the moment the save is done)

jasonfish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:27:17 PM »
Well damn, that'd be a LOT easier for most people to grasp. It "just works," no options to set.

The key, though, is that as soon as Save is pressed, user is returned to the Record screen. All saving happens behind the scenes, but with a confirmation that the save was successful. Maybe the "Saving" animation spinner disappears or something.

The point of the thread, in my mind, is that saving should not come with such a high cost.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 08:30:23 PM by jefish »

Electra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 01:27:31 AM »
Of course. It doesn't start recording at once, just gives the ready to record screen. So you can choose to wait for the save or hit record again.
I would imagine the interface shows  'Seg mode: 6.2s ava. *Saving 94% done*.'
I'm not sure. It would depend on how much space the final interface has. A spinner is a good idea.

On a related note, I wouldn't mind a 'your buffer is' display on the recording setting screen so playing with frame-rates/res shows how much time you have.