Author Topic: Macro lens suggestions  (Read 10005 times)

hydraulicpresschannel

• View Profile
Macro lens suggestions
« on: June 15, 2017, 01:29:30 AM »
I have the general purpose 12.5-75mm lens for my Chronos and it's great for most of things that I film but I think I could use macro lens for some projects also. I think it would be good to have as short minimum focusing length since I am working sometimes quite small rooms so filming far away with lens that just zooms in with the small sensor isn't good option.

JamesB

• View Profile
Re: Macro lens suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 11:29:06 AM »
Big fan of your channel, keep up the good work!

I am using the Canon 100mm 2.8 USM lens and I have to get really far back to be able to focus.  It is 392mm equivalent on the Chronos.  However for very small things like a fly, for example, you just need around 1 meter distance for it to be nearly all of the frame.

Lenses like the Nikon or Canon 60mm macro are also good options with not as long a throw at 235mm equivalent.  I use a fotodiox EF to C-mount adapter.  You need to multiply everything by 3.92x to get the 2/3 sensor vs full frame crop.

PaulBryanTV

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:33:55 PM »
Will be interested to see what people come up with for recommendations too.
There are SO many C-Mount lens variants around and I've heard there are a few gems out there for Macro work.
I'm in the market for one too!

DocCynical

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:58:15 PM »
I was wondering what to do about macro, I hadn't thought of using all my DSLR glass when I get my camera, didn't know I could. It'll be awesome with the working distance increase.

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 12:41:46 AM »
Generally the prime lenses (lenses that don't zoom) are good for macro shots, In fact, all the lenses listed in the accessories section of the store except the 12.5-75mm zoom are good, and will focus down to about 15cm or closer. With some macro spacers or extra macro rings, you can focus right down to 0cm in front of most of the lenses.

The 12.5-75mm zoom lens can also be used for macro shots, while zoomed out, using the 1 or 2mm spacer rings. It's not quite as sharp as you'd get with a prime though. The full 5mm macro ring will put the focus point inside the lens body so that's not particularly useful :P You can also make your own spacers quite easily using sheets of plastic or cardboard. Due to how the optics work, when zoomed in, the macro rings have far less of an effect.

For testing, you can partially unscrew the lens from the camera, being careful it doesn't fall out of course. The backfocus ring can also be used to get macro functionality, just don't unscrew it more than about 2 turns. You can also just hold the lens manually in front of the camera to get an idea how many macro rings you'll need.

For those wondering what the spacer/macro rings do, when you move the lens farther away from the sensor, it will focus closer than normal, and vise versa.

hydraulicpresschannel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 09:17:38 AM »
I think I test with 3d-printed spacers under the lens that I have.

Then I have thought about testing with some stupid long lenses also. My dad has an old mirror telephoto lens for some film camera so using it with some adapter and small sensor of chronos would probably get stupid amount of zoom :D I think it's something like bit over 1000 mm for normal sized film. I will make video about the thing when I get the adapter for that purpose.

PaulBryanTV

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 10:03:20 AM »
I am using a great lens I found cheap a few years back it's a Fujinon 11-110mm f1.6 and can be set to focus further away or close up.
I could get a lot closer than this but was handholding.
Link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbFU8gZ6P9g&feature=youtu.be

akeeh

• View Profile
    • AkiKorhonen.org
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
During the years of doing all kinds of experimental and normal photography, I've acquired a good collection of different lenses (for Nikon, Pentax and C-mount) and I'm going to post my testing results with them when I get my Chronos from the non-earlybird Kickstarter batch.

And this is just a heads up for HPC if you happen to read this, as I guess you might be getting a lot of emails: I sent you an email regarding this topic, look for a subject with "Chronos ja objektiivit" from Aki

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 02:04:24 AM »
This post is very old, but i Reply anyways, maybe someone will read it and find it helpfull.
When i Started with my Macro-Stuff, i used the cheap 25mm f/1.4 TV-Lens, C-Mount from Ebay.
That Lens costs under 30€ even including shiping and an Adapter for your camera and C-Mount distance Rings.
When adding one, or up to three of those C-Mount distance Rings, this Lens produces quite good Macro.
Since you get almost nothing at all in Focus in Macro-Shots at f/1.4 (Lens Iris fully open) you need to stop that Lens down somewhat to al least f/2.8 or f/4 or even more.
Because your Subject is very small, you can get away with Closing your Iris down a bit and Placing your Lights very narrow.
That all just, if your Situation allows that.
Its maybe not allways possible to use this, if you need some Distance for safety, but nice to have.
And at that price i just took the risk and tryed it, and it got me some nice Results on my Nikon1.
Today i got some better Options for my Macro-shots, but the 25mm from China is pretty much unbeatable for the Price.