Author Topic: Problems updating  (Read 15699 times)

Camoit

• View Profile
Problems updating
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »
So today I tried to update the firmware to V2.
The USB drive is FAT32 and only the files are on there for the update.
All I get is no update found and no USB found when hitting eject.
What might I be missing?
Marty

jasonfish

• View Profile
Re: Problems updating
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »
Maybe try the full-size USB port?

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 06:44:13 PM »
Maybe try the full-size USB port?

There is no full sized one.  A port.

gyppor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:53:21 PM »

There is no full sized one.  A port.

Directly above the port you are using in your photo is the one labelled "esata" and has the usb logo next to it. It looks more like a sata plug than a USB but it does accept a USB stick!

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:00:01 PM »
eSATA is also a no go. Just get an error even when just trying to back up the config files.
Does the camera also see eFAT format?????

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:01:32 PM by Camoit »

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 11:43:06 PM »
It seems the USB device is not being recognized. You must use the full size USB port (eSATA/USB combo port). Go to the Playback screen, then to Settings, this screen has a list of storage devices that will show any valid drives that are attached. It updates every few seconds, so give it some time after plugging in the drive. If your drive is not showing up in this list, something is wrong. Have you tried other USB drives from different manufacturers?

The camera does not currently work with exFAT, you need to use FAT32 formatting.

David

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 08:34:14 AM »
David.

The usb does show up in the playback. But to able to see the settings screen in playback i first need to record footage before it will un-gray the button.
But still no joy in preforming a backup or update. Just error.

One other strange thing I came across
After recording a clip. If i go to record over it again and not save it. I get the screen asking if I want to delete it.
I tap the yes button and it just sits there stuck on that screen. Nothing happens yes or no does nothing. Some times it will work but for the most part a hard boot must be preformed.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:41:38 PM by Camoit »

gyppor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 03:33:38 PM »
eSATA is also a no go. Just get an error even when just trying to back up the config files.
Does the camera also see eFAT format?????

I had to try a couple of USB sticks when I was trying to back up my calibration before applying the update. It would just say "backup failed" or something to that effect.
In the end the one that worked was a cheapo usb stick, something my wife had gotten for free from a conference with the schedule on it. Disposable-grade. But it worked!

Have you tried a different USB key?

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 06:43:04 PM »
David.

The usb does show up in the playback. But to able to see the settings screen in playback i first need to record footage before it will un-gray the button.
But still no joy in preforming a backup or update. Just error.

One other strange thing I came across
After recording a clip. If i go to record over it again and not save it. I get the screen asking if I want to delete it.
I tap the yes button and it just sits there stuck on that screen. Nothing happens yes or no does nothing. Some times it will work but for the most part a hard boot must be preformed.

If the USB shows up in Playback the drive is working. Could you show what's on the root directory of the flash drive? You need to extract the update zip, this should result in a camUpdate folder on the root of the drive.

David

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 12:34:30 AM »
David.
I have extracted the files. I have tried just the files them self and to have them in the upload file. I'll try other usb drives. I might be because that is a 64 gig drive and FAT is only good for 32. Even though the format tool I have seems to work. I'll let you know ASAP.
Marty

jasonfish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 10:53:21 AM »
So today I tried to update the firmware to V2.

Just for my own curiosity, is this just a dry run update? You already have the latest firmware installed. ;)

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 05:03:38 PM »
Yes it is the latest firmware. But it should be able to do a backup or be able to reload if necessary. 
It's always best to find the problems before you need to rely on it out in the field.

Camoit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 07:58:51 PM »
David.
Problem figured out.
So what (I think) is going on is that the OS doesn't like to read/wright from a USB drive OVER 32-Gig.
Anything above 32 it will not read/wright from even though it shows in the utility. It likes 16 & 32.
I used a program called gui format  http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm
(It's a handy program to have around. ) to format the the larger drives I have to the FAT32 format. But it seems your OS can tell it's a larger drive. 
I have yet to test if the camera will transfer from the SD card to the USB. But that is to slow. It's faster just to swap out the SD cards. I'm using ScanDisk 64 Gig cards with no problem.
PS: in the next version of firmware can you make the drop down windows larger. Like the Quick select for the FPS and screen resolution sizes. There just to small and it takes several tries to get the size we want.
Marty