General > General high-speed discussion

Lens needed to film sports?

(1/4) > >>

hutber:
Hey guys

I'm considering getting my first 2.1 but this would almost exclusively only for filming Football (soccer) in the UK under natural sunlight.

But I have my reservations that its possible to record players that might be 20m away, and have enough light in a lens.

I'm pretty excited by this prospective!

hutber:
Interestingly I didn't know about the points you have made here:
https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=501.msg2803#msg2803

So some lens will get a black border if on 1000fps at HD res. Scary lol

chrissie_c:
I filmed some slow-mo cricket (no comments please :-) using a 200mm Nikon Lens and it worked pretty well. That's equivalent to 400mm in old money so quite a useful length. It does need to be a very sunny day to use a lens of that length, so with football you might find the weather is less amenable. Maybe a speedbooster would help with that.

hutber:
Amazing thank you pal!

What is a speed booster :D?

I would love to see some of the footage if you had it readily available!

chrissie_c:
I don't have any of those shots to hand, I'll have a look though! I lost a few slowmos in a drive crash a few months ago so I have a horrible feeling they were a victim of that.

Speed boosters are a way of getting more light out of a lens that covers a larger area than your camera sensor. If you get a full-frame lens (I tend to get old Nikon ones on ebay - they're relatively cheap, especially if you find one with a broken auto-focus as I did once) then they cover twice the area of the Chronos sensor - which is half-frame (micro 4/3 size). What a speed booster does (I THINK), is to channel that extra light, that would normally be lost around the outside of the 4/3 sensor, into the sensor so you get more than the advertised f-number of the lens.

Someone might come along with a better explanation, but thats my understanding at least.

Slow motion uses a LOT of light so the more you can get out of a lens, the better. I don't use speed boosters myself, partly because they are expensive and mainly because I mostly use the Chronos indoors or the back garden (where I can use lights) or on sunny days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version