Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

Synced Chronos 2.1 only records 79 frames

(1/2) > >>

Rob_Heathcote:
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone on here might be able to offer some help on a weird issue/bug. I have tried Kron (with repeated emails now) but have not heard anything back from their support team.

I am getting a weird issue where the source camera on two BNC synced Chronos 2.1 sometimes only records 79 frames when I take a recording in 'Toggle' mode (i.e. after triggering the shutter for a second time). The second camera has so far always seemed to record for the full 11 seconds. I leave the cameras on continuous buffer for around 5 minutes before I need to save the pre-recorded 11 seconds of footage.

I cannot find a sensible reason for why the cameras are behaving like this; immediately after it happens (i.e. after a barrage of expletives because I have just lost some critical and irreplaceable footage that is a culmination of months of work), I have tried triggering the shutter again and can get a full 11 seconds of footage immediately afterwards, so it seems completely random for when it occurs, but is usually around 70% of recordings.

I’ve attached two photos of the trigger and record settings with this in case it helps.

This is part of a really expensive and time-sensitive experiment, so this is getting a bit desperate now and Kron do not appear particularly bothered to help.

If anyone can offer any advice I would be eternally grateful!

Thank you,
Rob

Nikon1:
Krontech is sometimes not the fastest to respond to such requests/ bugs which cause serious trouble, but i guess they will probably respond eventually, when ever that might be.
 I dont have 2 Chronos Cameras to be even able to replicate this, so i cant help much here, and also never even ever tried to figure out how i would link two of them Together.
 But just wanted to say: Cant open the Images attached to this post. (never seen a .heic file, what even is that or how to open that?)
 Also just a very blunt idea which just came up in my Head, without any actual real world Experience on working with Two of these Cameras, but is there a way to somehow sync these in any other way, like external frequency input (if they even need to record synced frames, otherwise just let them run individually), and trigger both separately at the Same time, if Usage is of critical importance?

Rob_Heathcote:
Thanks Nikon. I've just edited the post to include these as JPEGs. I've got a Mac and tried to upload images straight from my Photos app, hence the weird file format!

There's a couple of ways to sync these apparently, but the analog BNC connectors are supposedly ideal to keep frame numbers fully synced. I'll certainly look into other methods if all else fails! The frames don't necessarily need to be exactly synced since I could just use a camera flash or something similar to calibrate the time lag post-recording, but it would be ideal to not worry about this kind of thing!

Nikon1:
Thanks!
 I meanwhile spent a few minutes reading up on different Trigger and Syncing Options on the Chronos.
 https://www.krontech.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/RE-PDEV-10009-Chronos-User-Manual-Full-Software-Version-0.7.0.pdf
 Have a look at page 23.
 Exposure Trigger Should do what you want.
 Is sure a bit more work and Bulky to set up than just linking two cameras via a single BNC, but i consider that well worth it, if Footage is Critical, cant be Replaced, and you spend a lot of time and Possibly Money on it; especially if the BNC Method has proven to be bugged.
 Also never used that mode, but from what i understand, you would just set up one of the Two other Inputs on each of the Cameras up as "Exposure Trigger" Input, Set Shutter angle/ Shutter time on Camera as usual, and basically set your Framerate via a external Frequency input (like 1kHz = 1000fps) from a Square Wave generator. Trigger as usual via BNC, but would need Separate Signal Paths for both Cameras, so like a Trigger Button with two separate Contacts inside it, and A BNC cable to both of those. Also A Cable for Frequency Input to any used Camera from the Frequency Generator.
 Should from what i think to understand be a much more Solid and fail-save setup, and you should end up with absolutely Synced Frames.

Nikon1:
Also, looking at your settings, i am just wondering, have you tried the same Setup with  0dB analog Gain/ 0dB Digital Gain?
 would be interesting to see if that would result in the same amount of failed Recordings as with the 6 / 12 dB setting.
 Had some various Weird things happen in the Past and on past Firmware versions on High gain Settings sometimes (though i would not consider that especially high yet...), but never tested that in combination with anything related to external Triggers and such.
 Might be worth testing, if it runs more Stable on base-Gain setting. (=0dB).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version