Chronos > Software Dev

Improving the Jog Wheel, ideas.

<< < (2/6) > >>

NoDak:
Stopped for the moment while on the road.

Some great input from you two. Though I disagree with the usefulness of frame by frame jogging, I just don't see myself using it, I see that I was wrong about it not bring important to people. I should rethink some of the presets I suggest to include frame by frame jogging and do some math to see what it would do at different frame rates.

I'll have to type up my revised thoughts in more detail when at home and I may even bust out my MSPaint skills to take the input thus far and get a rough design of what the jog screen would look like. Feel free to come up with your own if anyone wants to.

jasonfish:

--- Quote from: NoDak on October 12, 2017, 09:56:06 AM ---disagree with the usefulness of frame by frame jogging

--- End quote ---

Don't fret, just a conversation, which will benefit everyone. :)

I wonder if you're concentrating too much on the Mark In/Out aspect of the wheel. I use it *inside* those boundaries to see, frame by frame, whether I got the shot I wanted.

Mark In/Out could certainly be made more course if the community desires it (n frames, n seconds, or 1/n of buffer), but being able to step forward/backward to study a captured event is a huge deal.

gyppor:
I also agree that frame-by-frame jogging is essential. I use it all the time to review my clips before saving.

If video playback from the memory card is ever added to the camera, this will be even more essentiall.

G

tesla500:
Great ideas there! The original idea behind the design was to use the scroll bar to get close to the point you want, use the pressed-in jogwheel for slightly finer control, then use the frame by frame control to review the video.

I really like the idea of adding more control, how about this:

Pushing and holding the jogwheel opens up a window on screen, allowing you to select from a number of frames-per-detent selections. Rotate the jogwheel to select one you want, then release the jogwheel and that speed is applied. Turning (not pressed) now goes at the speed you selected. This speed selection menu would also be duplicated in the Util menu somewhere. I like having shortcuts to frequently used things like this, because you're often changing the jogwheel rate several times when reviewing or saving a shot.

Question is, what rates are appropriate, without having too many? I was thinking of something like 1, 2, 4, 16, 64 frames per dentet, and maybe some that are a fraction of the buffer length like NoDak suggested, as the small numbers may not be appropriate when you're saving hundreds of thousands of frames at low resolution. Perhaps from 1/1024 of the buffer down to 1/32 of the buffer per detent.

gyppor:
I use the jog wheel mostly to look at individual frames. I don't use it much to move through the clip when setting my save points, the reason being it's not fast enough to scroll through very large buffers with tens of thousands of frames.

I think if the jog wheel is to be used for this, it must be very quick to refine the scroll rate to go from a coarse scroll to a finer scroll.
For instance, the way I find my save start point is as follows:
-use scroll bar for very coarse search. find rough area of interest.
-set playback rate to 480 or 960fps. use forward and back play buttons to refine search.
-reduce playback to 120 or 240 fps. repeat until closer.
-reduce to 30fps. go 1-2 seconds before event, set in point.

This method works well because changing the playback rate is very quick, no secondary menu to open. The whole process is done from one screen.

I think if there were a way to set the jog wheel speed from buttons on the main screen, it would make the wheel usable for searching. But I think if you have to push and hold every time, it might just be quicker to do it with the on-screen playback buttons.

If it were possible to customize the screens (pick which buttons you want displayed and where), you could have + and - rate buttons for the jog wheel for those who want it.

G

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version