Chronos > Chronos User Discussion

Why the vertical color bands

<< < (2/6) > >>

Nikon1:
Just for reference, here is a Untouched DNG from This Clip here (bevore Grading/ Denoising):
 https://forum.krontech.ca/index.php?topic=521.msg3975#msg3975  
 This was shot on an 1978 German Cine Lens.

SergeyKashin:
when shooting a small object, the vertical stripes are very faintly visible due to the strong background blur, but if you take something large and even in good light, the vertical stripes are very visible

Nikon1:

--- Quote from: SergeyKashin on December 17, 2020, 12:38:59 PM ---when shooting a small object, the vertical stripes are very faintly visible due to the strong background blur, but if you take something large and even in good light, the vertical stripes are very visible

--- End quote ---
I dont really know what you are trying to say, i shot small and Big stuff without and With a lot of vertical lines. As Photopage explained, a lot of it comes down to propper Exposure, in other Words Sinal-to-Noise-Ratio. The DNG Above wasnt really meant as an example of a Shot without or little Vertical Lines (would have posted something else if i tried to show a DNG without Lines), since i find them to be pretty visible on that Shot in the DNG. I posted this more as a pointer to what a propper Denoising in Post can do to Images with some Lines visible in it, and this shot seems like a good example of that to me, cause the Final Clip has almost no visible lines Left, and still holds plenty of detail. Of course the Out of Focus Areas make denoising easier, because they are either solid color areas or just slow gradients (if that was what you meant?), but that doesnt really have too much to do with the initial DNGs having The Noise in them, thats from Camera Settings and Exposure. So here is a DNG with a much bigger Field of view, deeper Depth of field and almost no sign of any vertical Static noise Patterns (lines) while there is a lot of in-Focus (also even Dark) Detail.
 In Summary, this post of me above was meant as a small addition to Photopages Statement, to give some Help or idea what to do, even if you for some Reason end up having some amount of lines in your Shots, to make it possible to save them if you messed up while shooting (or it was just not possible to do better in the given Conditions), or to improove good shots that still have faint noise, if you seek perfection. This is still no replacement for Propper Lighting or setting the Camera Propperly, allways try to get it right in Camera as good as you can.

SergeyKashin:
Comparing a street frame where the light is evenly distributed over the entire area is not very correct. I've been shooting a lot recently and I have strong bands even at 800 watts of LED light and a 1.8 aperture. They are very much visible when moving from white to darker and when removing these stripes programmatically, gives unpleasant changes on the face

Nikon1:

--- Quote from: SergeyKashin on December 18, 2020, 09:43:43 AM ---
 Comparing a street frame where the light is evenly distributed over the entire area is not very correct. I've been shooting a lot recently and I have strong bands even at 800 watts of LED light and a 1.8 aperture. They are very much visible when moving from white to darker and when removing these stripes programmatically, gives unpleasant changes on the face

--- End quote ---

Ok, i think i understand now, what you mean. Its propably what i said earlier:

--- Quote from: Nikon1 on December 17, 2020, 06:02:50 AM --- (...) to get it looking right you however also need to put a bit of work into it, just slapping a Standard Denoise Effect on it without fine-tuning usually results in little to no effect or just blurry images. (...)

--- End quote ---

Sounds like you just slap a Denoise Effect on there, and call it a day. While you can do that for some Stuff, it wont give you the Best results possible, especially with shots like you posted.
 I would allways do at least some Layering for denoising, meaning to somehow mask out certain parts of the image, either by static position, Some Form of keying, or by brightness (as darker areas tend to show more Noise/ Lines Usually; for the Edit i did of those two frames i used all three of those), to use two different amounts of Denoising on them, a lighter denoise with more Texture on the Lighter Parts of the image, and as heavy of a denoise as you can get away with on the other parts of the Image, which you care less about or that dont hold as much detail (like out of focus Areas or the Solid colored Wall in your shot, as nobody will notice anyways, if you use a bit of detail there, as it wont be visible in the final render).
 I did a quick edit on those two frames, which i assume are from the Same Sequence. because my AE doesnt like the TIFF files, i converted them to PNG in PS, and used that as a Starting Point. Those PNGs are also Uploaded with unchanged Filename, as well as the denoised Version, which has an added "(...)_EDIT" in the Filename. While those settings there in the AE Project file will work for the Whole Sequence there (assuming the Girl there stays somewhat in the middle of the Frame, put some heavy denoising on the Edges where the Vignett is), i still made two different versions of it, for each Frame, because i didnt have the Full Sequence (Settings are however the Same in both, only difference is the Frame Used).
 The Editing i did on this is pretty overkill for your everyday fun freetime shooting, but about the amount of work i would put into denoising when shooting something serious, where i care about final Quality of the Image (and this seems like some work put into it, so i assume this is some Fine Art stuff or something where this would apply).
 Since i dont know what kind of final look you are going for on this, and because i couldnt directly import the TIFF anyways (i usually shoot DNG because of this, but if TIFF works for you, thats also ok), i didnt really bother about grading or color in general for this, just some Rough White Balance-Correction in PS for the initial PNG conversion from the TIFF file. So color would propably still need some work, and maybe turn down the Sharpening a bit (depends a lot on preference, this is allready looking like a bit much sharpening for me, but other people sometimes like it to be way more agressive than that, so this is somewhere in between. for Personal use i would turn it down about 10%) for final use.
 Also posted a Screenshot for those that dont have AE, to get some idea what i am talking about.
 Hope this helps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version