Author Topic: Very ugly artifacts after upgrade to 0.2.5  (Read 11444 times)

NiNeff

• View Profile
Very ugly artifacts after upgrade to 0.2.5
« on: January 05, 2018, 02:56:58 AM »
Hey Guys!

As mentioned in 0.3 Beta release thread, I could now update my camera.
I just tried a very basic shot just outside my window (cloudy, overcast, not really lit at all). The image looked fine on the screen before I started recording.
As soon as I pressed the trigger, very ugly vertical stripes arranged to form many horizontal stripes in total appeared on the screen and are now persisting in the preview mode.
The recording also has these artifacts, see the attached screenshot. These are so bad that they basically render the camera useless.
However I haven't tried anything to remove these yet (no reboot, black calibration, etc) to give you as many info as possible while the error persist.

Also I took a photo from the image displayed on the cam with its lens cap on, also see attachments.
The saved erroneous video is here: https://youtu.be/-_Sd_xi1CpU
I also saved the raw 16 bit output video, if it might be useful I can also provide it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 03:01:34 AM by NiNeff »

NiNeff

• View Profile
Re: Very ugly artifacts after upgrade to 0.2.5
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 02:59:25 AM »
I just noticed: At about 38sec in the video the appearance of the "errorbars" changes. This is no youtube error, it's actually in the file.

John Delonghi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 03:33:44 AM »
I've just upgraded and before and after black cal and a reboot, recordings are as expected. Suggest you reboot and try again.

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 03:41:39 AM »
Did you try V0.2.3 previously, and if so, did it work fine? ie. is this a new bug introduced between 0.2.3 and 0.2.5?

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 03:47:21 AM »
The install of 0.2.3 failed without error and i was still on 0.2 (at least that's what was displayed) so I can't tell if it's a new error.
I now tried rebooting: The camera works fine again until you start recording, then the artifacts appear again and are also in the saved files.
Black calibration gets rid of them until you start another recording.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 03:52:17 AM »
Here's one raw frame if it helps

UPDATE:
Ok now I'm really worried: I reverted back to 0.2 (which only took a few seconds which is odd) and the error persists, but the pattern is slightly different and changes during the recording. I had no issues before I started playing around with the updates, and I did't do silly things like droping the camera... But it now feels like a hardware issue.
https://youtu.be/Yv8b_WCDQkw
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:04:57 AM by NiNeff »

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 04:17:47 AM »
I agree, that appears to be unrelated to the software update and is likely a hardware issue. That's covered under warranty, contact [email protected] and we'll get that fixed for you.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 04:52:28 AM »
Ok, mail is sent. However I'd like to try a re-flash of the OS SD (to any version, but preferably 0.2) beforehand. You mentioned this possibility in another thread but I can't find a complete download.

EDIT:
Also I noticed that it takes a short moment before the error appears after triggering, so maybe the RAM is faulty? I'm going to record a video of my Chronos so you can examine it better later today.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:20:10 AM by NiNeff »

tesla500

• Krontech
    • View Profile
    • krontech.ca
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »
It would be a good idea to try reflashing the SD card first to see if that fixes the problem, follow the procedure on the software updates page under "Restoring a camera that won't boot". Make sure to back up your calibration data before starting, and don't do step 16.

Let us know if that fixes it.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 06:49:12 AM »
I did everything as described, my camera is back to 0.1 now. The error is still exactly the same  :(

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 10:30:52 AM »
I exchanged the RAM for two new 16GB modules and the error appears to be gone!

ExperimentalPerception

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 04:03:50 AM »
@NiNeff, what ram are you running now?

I am wanting to upgrade my camera to 32g and would prefer to buy sticks known to work with the camera.

NoDak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 05:26:48 AM »
Also, is it okay to mix and match ran in the cameras long as it is all compatible. ie, can I use the 16 gb stick my camera came with and just slap in an additional 16gb stick?

I suppose I could just pop open my camera and see what make/model it already has and go hunt down another one of those.

NiNeff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 07:59:22 AM »
I did buy these modules: https://www.amazon.de/Komputerbay-Channel-DDR3-1600-SO-DIMM-PC3-12800/dp/B01LFQH95Q/
Also I (obviously) used only the new RAM since the factory one is most likely faulty.
Generally mixing different RAM vendors / capacities / speeds works, but will not lead to the best results. And if the RAM is accessed in dual channel mode, both modules have to be the same latency/capacity and so on, but different vendors might be ok. I don't know whether Chronos uses dual channel mode.

The default RAM has no markings which lead me to a manufacturer of it, but if you really want to I can send you a picture of it. Or the devs tell you which one it is ;)