Author Topic: speed booster for the chronos to reduce crop on full frame lenses  (Read 22463 times)

Nikon1

• View Profile
Re: speed booster for the chronos to reduce crop on full frame lenses
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 02:15:53 AM »
Any details on the prototype CS to MFT?  Something we can 3d print or laser cut to play with and test?
The biggest thing stopping me playing with any of the better lenses is that I'd have to buy them and they are not worth it for the quality improvement alone if it means a dramatic rise in F-stop.
I just made a 3D-Printable Adapter to mount anything with MFT-Mount on the Chronos.
Downloadable STL-3D File Uploaded in this Post.
Realy quick & Dirty, if anyone can do it better, please do so.
Since i do not have:
-A Chronos yet
-MFT-Lenses
-A 3D-Printer,
I can not gurantee for anything and not even able to test that 3D-Model i just made.
So please Someone here try, if it works or if that 3D-Adapter needs Modifications, and post here, so other people Know.
I am not even sure, if the Lens Mount is Rotated Properly.
Should fit the Front of the Chronos with those four M4-Holes to be Mounted with four Screws.
Keep an eye on your Lenses, when you try to mount it, because i do not know if there will be enough clearance to fit your lens without hiting or Scratching your camera or Lens.
Also not sure about how strong that Adapter is, so be carefull and do everything on your own risk.
For the Design of the 3D-Model i simply assumed, that the Flange focal distance of the CS-Mount of the Chronos would be the same as its Bodys Front Surface.
I added one Picture, showing that this seems not to be like this, and the CS-Mount stands off of the Front Surface somewhat.
Because that Distance seems to be very small, it should not be that big of a Problem. you will Reach infinity Focus, but you cant focus as close as usual (will be more apparent with wider Lenses).
If someone can provide me the exact dimension of that Distance, the CS-Mount is elevated above the Front Surface, i can change it in the 3D-File.
Because of the Dimensions of that Adapter it would maybe even Possible, to Leave it on, while mounting C- or CS-Mount Lenses.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:45:41 AM by Nikon1 »

RoboChair

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 08:21:59 AM »
So after reading this thread I know that I want to get a speed booster/focal reducer for my Cronos. I'm just not sure what lenses will be most affordable to get for this idea. I have a Markforged 3D printer and a very nice machine shop that I have unfettered access to that I can make all kinds of widgets. So I have the resources to make it happen, but not the knowledge to execute on it. The Cronos is my first ever not a cell phone camera and I am still learning a lot about lenses in general and I'm getting a handle on it I think, but I have no background on different mount systems and cameras and the lenses for them. If someone can help me figure out some solutions I'd be more than happy to make extra parts of anything I have to manufacture to make it happen.

I could start with Nikon1's 3D printed widget. I could either use a MFT lens straight on that or a MFT to ??? speed booster with a ??? lens mounted to said speed booster correct?

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 11:53:15 AM »
So after reading this thread I know that I want to get a speed booster/focal reducer for my Cronos. I'm just not sure what lenses will be most affordable to get for this idea. I have a Markforged 3D printer and a very nice machine shop that I have unfettered access to that I can make all kinds of widgets. So I have the resources to make it happen, but not the knowledge to execute on it. The Cronos is my first ever not a cell phone camera and I am still learning a lot about lenses in general and I'm getting a handle on it I think, but I have no background on different mount systems and cameras and the lenses for them. If someone can help me figure out some solutions I'd be more than happy to make extra parts of anything I have to manufacture to make it happen.

I could start with Nikon1's 3D printed widget. I could either use a MFT lens straight on that or a MFT to ??? speed booster with a ??? lens mounted to said speed booster correct?
You could use any native MFT-Mount Lens aswell as an MFT-To-Somethinge_Else-Speedbooster.
Just make Sure to get the Flange Distance right.
My 3D-Model posted here is just guessing on the Data i found around here.
Cant verify that it works (Since i still struggle to get enough money together to finaly buy an chronos myself...), so you maybe need to adjust the Height a bit to get proper Focus on infinity and close Objects.
For MFT-Mount Lenses make sure, that you have any way to adjust things Like Focus and apperture on the Lens itself, since a lot of MFT-Lenses are Focus-By-Wire only, so that will mean, you need an Camera with an electronic connection to the Lens to make any adjustments to the Lens. And you (obviously...) dont get any kind of Electric Connection with this 3D-Printed Adapter and the Chronos.
For myself i have to say, i would only get an speedbooster if i actually had an existing collection of really good, already fast Glass for an bigger Format or an seperate Camera System with an way bigger Sensor.
Otherwise, if you have not allready a lot of other Lenses or an seperate other Camera system laying around, also look into "native" lenses for the Chronos, like C-Mount and CS-Mount.
There Are Lots of very great choices in every single Mount available, most very good options come at an price though.
Nice thing about the Chronos is, that you can basicaly just can adapt virtualy everything to it, even Like Sony-E-Mount or even Nikon1-Mount-Lenses. But Try to avoid Focus-By-Wire, like said earlier allready. Will make your life a whole lot easier.
If you need help in designing an adapter for some other special mount, just ask, i will take a look at it if i can do any helpfull about it.

patrickrebstock

• playing camera
    • View Profile
    • patrickrebstock.com
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2020, 09:30:42 PM »
love the mtf mount its the only way to go for me and the speedboster xl

clkdiv

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 04:01:09 AM »
Hello,

after buying a Laowa Probe with Canon EF mount, I wonder if it is possible to put a speed booster between it and the Chronos. So I wake up this old thread again.

I would like to avoid screwing things off the camera or to 3D print things, I have never done that. So I wonder if there is an easy way to go nowadays, e.g. buy a speedbooster that adapts to the Chronos right out of the box? At the moment I have a CS to Canon EF- adapter mounted to the Chronos. 

Thanks a lot!

Nikon1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 04:54:53 AM »
Hello,

after buying a Laowa Probe with Canon EF mount, I wonder if it is possible to put a speed booster between it and the Chronos. So I wake up this old thread again.

I would like to avoid screwing things off the camera or to 3D print things, I have never done that. So I wonder if there is an easy way to go nowadays, e.g. buy a speedbooster that adapts to the Chronos right out of the box? At the moment I have a CS to Canon EF- adapter mounted to the Chronos. 

Thanks a lot!
How do you feel about Metall adapters for Mounting the Speedbooster to the Chronos?
 You will need to mount the Speedbooster (this is at least true for the 0.64x and 0,58x, havent tested an 0.71x yet, but assume its just the same there.) via the 4x M4 Screws on the Front via some kind of Plate-Style adapter, because you need to remove the Stainless Steel C-Mount Part on the Chronos Camera Body for the Back element to even Fit, cause it is so close to the camera and too fat to fit into the C-Mount hole. When the Stainless mount part is removed, it will fit. The C-Mount can be Put back in rather Quickly, if you have a little bit of practice, you can change from Speedbooster back to the C-Mount in 2 Minutes or less.